Domain Name Question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ali, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Ali

    Ali Guest

    Hey folks -

    I know that this is probably a question more appropriate for a legal
    newsgroup, but I decided to start here since a few of you might have
    been through a similar situation. Thanks in advance for any advice you
    can offer.

    OK - here's the deal:

    1) A friend of mine is on the Board of Directors of a small
    nonprofit organization. A few years back, they decided that they
    wanted a website for the group. Only one of the board members was
    computer literate (we'll call him Bob), so he was the one who was made
    responsible for establishing the organization's web presence.

    2) Bob registered the domain name, set up the account with the
    host, and assumed responsibility for the maintenance of the site (I'm
    not sure if he was the one who created it - it might have been created
    by the hosting company). According to Netsol's WHOIS, the domain name
    is registered to the organization, with Bob as the administrative
    contact.

    3) Fast forward a few years: Bob has a falling out with the
    board, and he walks. Of course - no one else on the board has a clue
    what the username and password for the website are. Bob is, for all
    intents and purposes, MIA - and the hosting company refuses to give
    the remaining board members the information. Soooo......

    Obviously, my question is: What steps does the organization need to
    take to 1) regain control of the current website, or 2) gain control
    of the domain name for the purpose of moving (or recreating) the site
    to another host? Although I've been working on websites for years,
    I've never had to deal with registering a domain name - so I only have
    a vague clue about how it works.

    Also - in general, how does one go about changing the registry info
    for a domain name? I just looked up another nonprofit site - one that
    I've been maintaining for the past few years - and the contact info is
    all wrong. The original webmaster moved away, but her name is still
    listed as a contact.

    Ideas? Thanks again!

    - Ali

    (reply to: )

    Ali, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Ali

    Paul Furman Guest

    Network Solutions is a royal pain in the ass to deal with even if you
    have the password. Read all their instructions extremely carefully,
    there is a process for doing what you want but it's going to be tedious
    getting their automated system to function as you want. Move it to
    GoDaddy or some other service, get away from Netsol. I think I had to
    fax some forms with signature of the company pres. and copy of drivers
    liscense on an appeal form or something like that when the previous
    contact flaked on us. It would have gone quicker if I'd followed the
    directions more carefully and read ALL the fine print.

    Paul Furman, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Ali

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Network Solutions is a royal pain in the ass to deal with even if you
    > have the password. Read all their instructions extremely carefully,
    > there is a process for doing what you want but it's going to be tedious
    > getting their automated system to function as you want. Move it to
    > GoDaddy or some other service, get away from Netsol. I think I had to
    > fax some forms with signature of the company pres. and copy of drivers
    > liscense on an appeal form or something like that when the previous
    > contact flaked on us. It would have gone quicker if I'd followed the
    > directions more carefully and read ALL the fine print.

    How about quoting the OP? Presumably you're responding to something,
    but what?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Feb 22, 2004
  4. "Ali" <not.my@real_addy.com> wrote in message
    > Hey folks -
    >
    > 2) Bob registered the domain name, set up the account with the
    > host, and assumed responsibility for the maintenance of the site (I'm
    > not sure if he was the one who created it - it might have been created
    > by the hosting company). According to Netsol's WHOIS, the domain name
    > is registered to the organization, with Bob as the administrative
    > contact.

    Call NetSol and explain the situation. Since he's not listed as the
    registrant, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get the other contacts
    changed. Ask them what proof you need to fax to them in order to change the
    admin, tech and billing contact. Once that is done, transfer the domain to
    a cheaper registrar. NetSol is ridiculously priced.

    > 3) Fast forward a few years: Bob has a falling out with the
    > board, and he walks. Of course - no one else on the board has a clue
    > what the username and password for the website are. Bob is, for all
    > intents and purposes, MIA - and the hosting company refuses to give
    > the remaining board members the information. Soooo......

    The hosting company is doing the right thing. Bob is the one that setup the
    account and who's name is on the account. The hosting company can't be
    expected to give out password information to anyone who "claims" to have a
    right to the hosting account and website files...and you should be glad they
    don't.

    Also, you would be surprised the number of times:

    1. Designer creates a site.
    2. Designer's client doesn't pay (or doesn't pay agreed upon fee)
    3. Designer refuses to hand over finished work until payment is made
    4. Designer's client contacts us with some sob story about how they are
    supposed to have access to those files.

    Bottom line, if you have a dispute with the designer...take him to court and
    sue to get your files. We're just the host, protecting the data of our
    clients.

    > Obviously, my question is: What steps does the organization need to
    > take to 1) regain control of the current website,

    Tell the designer you are seeking legal action to get access to the files.

    or 2) gain control
    > of the domain name for the purpose of moving (or recreating) the site
    > to another host? Although I've been working on websites for years,
    > I've never had to deal with registering a domain name - so I only have
    > a vague clue about how it works.

    Call NetSol, send them proof of ownership of the domain.

    > Also - in general, how does one go about changing the registry info
    > for a domain name? I just looked up another nonprofit site - one that
    > I've been maintaining for the past few years - and the contact info is
    > all wrong. The original webmaster moved away, but her name is still
    > listed as a contact.

    Depends on the registrar. Who is it with?

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    20% Discount Code: newsgroup

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Ali

    Paul Furman Guest

    Huh?

    <eg>

    Paul Furman, Feb 22, 2004
  6. >According to Netsol's WHOIS, the domain name
    >is registered to the organization, with Bob as the administrative
    >contact.

    To change the administrative over to someone else at NetSol...

    1. Click on Log in
    2. Forgot User ID/Password
    3. Enter domain name
    4. Select email is not correct
    5. Fill in email and phone
    6. Print out and fax the form

    If he used someone else other than NetSol, then you may have to call that
    domain company. Tell them you need to change the email address, but don't have
    access to the current address on file. You may then have to fax something in,
    or even just verify billing info and they'll do it over the phone.

    To get access to hosting...

    Email the host from the new administrative address on file with the domain.

    *S

    Matthew Superstar Swass, Feb 23, 2004