Domain name registration query

[KS]

Hi all,
I tried a couple of other groups but didn't get any reply. I hope
someone would know about this stuff in this group.

I have an ADSL connection, and run a script from one of the FREE dynamic
dns services. Also, I run my own webserver on my machine and the free
service forwards all request to the free domain name I got to my
machine's server. (The bandwidth I use is around 30MB/month, so its
logical for me to use my ADSL than a web host)

Now, to take the next step I thought of registering a domain name. I was
searching on yahoo, and saw their advertisement of $4.98/yr domain name
registration offer.

What I wanted to know is, if I buy this package what would services
would Yahoo!Domains provide me?(I couldn't find much detail on their web
site) Is it possible to somehow use the domain name I register with the
dynamic dns service so that anyone who types www.mydomainname.info, goes
to the home page of the web server I run on my machine?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
KS

SpaceGirl

[...]

Dont buy from Yahoo. All the providers I know offer domains for $10 over
2 years ($5 a year) and I would NOT personally want to be tied down to a
megacorp like Yahoo.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Richard

[...]

Want you want to do is called redirection.
You do not want to host your full domain name directly as the rules say that
to do so, you must have two servers and they must be online 24x7.

http://www.themooseisloose.net/cpanelhosting.html

www.hostforweb.com

[KS]

Richard said:
Want you want to do is called redirection.
You do not want to host your full domain name directly as the rules say that
to do so, you must have two servers and they must be online 24x7.

http://www.themooseisloose.net/cpanelhosting.html

www.hostforweb.com
Ok. I think I don't know all the options about web hosting and domain
name registration stuff. So, first I should ask this:

I want run a web server on my own machine, how do I configure a domain
name such that if someone types www.mydomainname.info in the browser, it
goes to my webserver's index file.

What options do I have in this situation?

Thanks,
/KS

[KS]

SpaceGirl said:
Dont buy from Yahoo. All the providers I know offer domains for $10 over
2 years ($5 a year) and I would NOT personally want to be tied down to a
megacorp like Yahoo.
SpaceGirl,

Can you give some examples of the providers. I'm in Canada. Does it make
a difference?

Thanks
KS

Richard

Ok. I think I don't know all the options about web hosting and domain
name registration stuff. So, first I should ask this:
I want run a web server on my own machine, how do I configure a domain
name such that if someone types www.mydomainname.info in the browser, it
goes to my webserver's index file.
What options do I have in this situation?
Thanks,
/KS

First thing you need to do is to contact your service provider and find out
if they allow that or not. Many do not.
As your machine is at best, on cable DSL, you should realize that loading
will be slow in comparison to a T1 or better service.
Do not even consider this if you are on dialup.

This is why you should have a proper host for the domain name.
They have the capabilites of providing those features like DNS and some even
allow you to create your name server identifier.

You don't just jump into this without knowing more than what you apparently
do.
As I said earlier, to be a bona fide domain, you must have two servers
operating 24x7. One home computer does not cut it.

You would be better off registering the domain name, and use it to redirect
to your already existing site.

Running a true webserver takes a lot more knowledge than just knowing how to
write web pages and the bare basics of the internet.
Not to mention the time it takes to maintain it.

Then why not save all the hassle, buy cheap space somewhere and let the host
worry about the headaches.

[KS]

Richard said:
Richard said:
[KS] wrote:

[...]

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the advice. I do understand that a dedicated web hosting
service working 24x7 and having a connection similar to a T1 or better
are basic requirements of a website. However, in my case I am just
serving 5-6 pages with very few graphics on them(3 actually, I used 5-6
to include test pages I have for so open source work I volunteer for).

The biggest file I serve is a 20kB html page with a couple of images and
it sums up to about 60kB. The other main reason for running the
webserver when I want to distribute photographs to my friends. I don't
like to clog-up their mail boxes with those photographs and so I just
send them a link of the download page so that they can download them by
logging on to that page.

I could have also given them accounts to logon to my machine via ssh,
but the webserver idea looks to be much easier to me.

Thus the ADSL service is serving my purpose very nicely for now. I might
look for pro web hosting service in future if need be.

Thanks for the advice.
/KS

SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl said:
Dont buy from Yahoo. All the providers I know offer domains for $10 over
2 years ($5 a year) and I would NOT personally want to be tied down to a
megacorp like Yahoo.

My american host does domains from $5 per year - http://www.easycgi.com.
I guess these days it doesn't matter at all where you buy your domain.
I'm in Scotland... no problems buying and managing domains with US hosts.

Incidentally, we also run a web server out of our flat (apartment) on a
4mbit cable. I use www.no-ip.com to redirect traffic to it. It's our
home server and design machine, however I wouldn't dream of running a
commercial sites off of it. While we do have RAID and a UPS on the
machine, my host in the US has a clean room, multiple backup lines,
multiple power sources, multiple servers etc... I could never duplicate
even a fraction of that security or redundency in my home! Not worth the
risk...

xM

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

[KS]

SpaceGirl said:
My american host does domains from $5 per year - http://www.easycgi.com.
I guess these days it doesn't matter at all where you buy your domain.
I'm in Scotland... no problems buying and managing domains with US hosts.

Incidentally, we also run a web server out of our flat (apartment) on a
4mbit cable. I use www.no-ip.com to redirect traffic to it. It's our
home server and design machine, however I wouldn't dream of running a
commercial sites off of it. While we do have RAID and a UPS on the

I also use no-ip.com service. And the 3 or so pages I have, get less
than 10hits a day, and there is nothing commercial about it. The pages I
have online are related to a little bit of open source work I volunteer
for. Major portion of my bandwidth is used by 3-4 friends of mine when I
give them a link to download photographs.
machine, my host in the US has a clean room, multiple backup lines,
multiple power sources, multiple servers etc... I could never duplicate
even a fraction of that security or redundency in my home! Not worth the
risk...

xM

Thanks, I will check easycgi also.
/KS

Richard

Richard said:
Richard wrote:
[KS] wrote:
[...]

Dude. I did the same thing you're doing when I went on cable.
I was told loading of even the simplest of pages was SLOWWWWW!

Go to geocities.com and get yourself a free website.
Forget hosting it locally.