Domain name registration query

Discussion in 'HTML' started by [KS], Dec 10, 2004.

  1. [KS]

    [KS] Guest

    Hi all,
    I tried a couple of other groups but didn't get any reply. I hope
    someone would know about this stuff in this group.

    I have an ADSL connection, and run a script from one of the FREE dynamic
    dns services. Also, I run my own webserver on my machine and the free
    service forwards all request to the free domain name I got to my
    machine's server. (The bandwidth I use is around 30MB/month, so its
    logical for me to use my ADSL than a web host)

    Now, to take the next step I thought of registering a domain name. I was
    searching on yahoo, and saw their advertisement of $4.98/yr domain name
    registration offer.

    What I wanted to know is, if I buy this package what would services
    would Yahoo!Domains provide me?(I couldn't find much detail on their web
    site) Is it possible to somehow use the domain name I register with the
    dynamic dns service so that anyone who types www.mydomainname.info, goes
    to the home page of the web server I run on my machine?

    Any help would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks.
    KS

    [KS], Dec 10, 2004

  2. [KS]

    SpaceGirl Guest

    [KS] wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I tried a couple of other groups but didn't get any reply. I hope
    > someone would know about this stuff in this group.
    >
    > I have an ADSL connection, and run a script from one of the FREE dynamic
    > dns services. Also, I run my own webserver on my machine and the free
    > service forwards all request to the free domain name I got to my
    > machine's server. (The bandwidth I use is around 30MB/month, so its
    > logical for me to use my ADSL than a web host)
    >
    > Now, to take the next step I thought of registering a domain name. I was
    > searching on yahoo, and saw their advertisement of $4.98/yr domain name
    > registration offer.
    >
    > What I wanted to know is, if I buy this package what would services
    > would Yahoo!Domains provide me?(I couldn't find much detail on their web
    > site) Is it possible to somehow use the domain name I register with the
    > dynamic dns service so that anyone who types www.mydomainname.info, goes
    > to the home page of the web server I run on my machine?
    >
    > Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > KS

    Dont buy from Yahoo. All the providers I know offer domains for $10 over
    2 years ($5 a year) and I would NOT personally want to be tied down to a
    megacorp like Yahoo.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 10, 2004

  3. [KS]

    Richard Guest

    [KS] wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I tried a couple of other groups but didn't get any reply. I hope
    > someone would know about this stuff in this group.

    > I have an ADSL connection, and run a script from one of the FREE dynamic
    > dns services. Also, I run my own webserver on my machine and the free
    > service forwards all request to the free domain name I got to my
    > machine's server. (The bandwidth I use is around 30MB/month, so its
    > logical for me to use my ADSL than a web host)

    > Now, to take the next step I thought of registering a domain name. I was
    > searching on yahoo, and saw their advertisement of $4.98/yr domain name
    > registration offer.

    > What I wanted to know is, if I buy this package what would services
    > would Yahoo!Domains provide me?(I couldn't find much detail on their web
    > site) Is it possible to somehow use the domain name I register with the
    > dynamic dns service so that anyone who types www.mydomainname.info, goes
    > to the home page of the web server I run on my machine?

    > Any help would be highly appreciated.

    > Thanks.
    > KS

    Want you want to do is called redirection.
    You do not want to host your full domain name directly as the rules say that
    to do so, you must have two servers and they must be online 24x7.

    http://www.themooseisloose.net/cpanelhosting.html

    www.hostforweb.com

    Richard, Dec 10, 2004
  4. [KS]

    [KS] Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > [KS] wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > > I tried a couple of other groups but didn't get any reply. I hope
    > > someone would know about this stuff in this group.

    > > I have an ADSL connection, and run a script from one of the FREE dynamic
    > > dns services. Also, I run my own webserver on my machine and the free
    > > service forwards all request to the free domain name I got to my
    > > machine's server. (The bandwidth I use is around 30MB/month, so its
    > > logical for me to use my ADSL than a web host)

    > > Now, to take the next step I thought of registering a domain name. I was
    > > searching on yahoo, and saw their advertisement of $4.98/yr domain name
    > > registration offer.

    > > What I wanted to know is, if I buy this package what would services
    > > would Yahoo!Domains provide me?(I couldn't find much detail on their web
    > > site) Is it possible to somehow use the domain name I register with the
    > > dynamic dns service so that anyone who types www.mydomainname.info, goes
    > > to the home page of the web server I run on my machine?

    > > Any help would be highly appreciated.

    > > Thanks.
    > > KS

    > Want you want to do is called redirection.
    > You do not want to host your full domain name directly as the rules say that
    > to do so, you must have two servers and they must be online 24x7.
    >
    > http://www.themooseisloose.net/cpanelhosting.html
    >
    > www.hostforweb.com

    Ok. I think I don't know all the options about web hosting and domain
    name registration stuff. So, first I should ask this:

    I want run a web server on my own machine, how do I configure a domain
    name such that if someone types www.mydomainname.info in the browser, it
    goes to my webserver's index file.

    What options do I have in this situation?

    Thanks,
    /KS

    [KS], Dec 10, 2004
  5. [KS]

    [KS] Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    > [KS] wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I tried a couple of other groups but didn't get any reply. I hope
    >> someone would know about this stuff in this group.
    >>
    >> I have an ADSL connection, and run a script from one of the FREE
    >> dynamic dns services. Also, I run my own webserver on my machine and
    >> the free service forwards all request to the free domain name I got to
    >> my machine's server. (The bandwidth I use is around 30MB/month, so its
    >> logical for me to use my ADSL than a web host)
    >>
    >> Now, to take the next step I thought of registering a domain name. I
    >> was searching on yahoo, and saw their advertisement of $4.98/yr domain
    >> name registration offer.
    >>
    >> What I wanted to know is, if I buy this package what would services
    >> would Yahoo!Domains provide me?(I couldn't find much detail on their
    >> web site) Is it possible to somehow use the domain name I register
    >> with the dynamic dns service so that anyone who types
    >> www.mydomainname.info, goes to the home page of the web server I run
    >> on my machine?
    >>
    >> Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> KS

    > Dont buy from Yahoo. All the providers I know offer domains for $10 over
    > 2 years ($5 a year) and I would NOT personally want to be tied down to a
    > megacorp like Yahoo.

    SpaceGirl,

    Can you give some examples of the providers. I'm in Canada. Does it make
    a difference?

    Thanks
    KS

    [KS], Dec 10, 2004
  6. [KS]

    Richard Guest

    [KS] wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> [KS] wrote:
    >>
    > >> Hi all,
    > >> I tried a couple of other groups but didn't get any reply. I hope
    > >> someone would know about this stuff in this group.

    > >> I have an ADSL connection, and run a script from one of the FREE
    > >> dynamic dns services. Also, I run my own webserver on my machine and
    > >>the free service forwards all request to the free domain name I got to
    > >>my machine's server. (The bandwidth I use is around 30MB/month, so its
    > >> logical for me to use my ADSL than a web host)

    > >> Now, to take the next step I thought of registering a domain name. I
    > >> was searching on yahoo, and saw their advertisement of $4.98/yr
    > >>domain name registration offer.

    > >> What I wanted to know is, if I buy this package what would services
    > >> would Yahoo!Domains provide me?(I couldn't find much detail on their
    > >> web site) Is it possible to somehow use the domain name I register
    > >>with the dynamic dns service so that anyone who types
    > >>www.mydomainname.info, goes to the home page of the web server I run
    > >>on my machine?

    > >> Any help would be highly appreciated.

    > >> Thanks.
    > >> KS

    >> Want you want to do is called redirection.
    >> You do not want to host your full domain name directly as the rules say
    >> that to do so, you must have two servers and they must be online
    >>24x7. http://www.themooseisloose.net/cpanelhosting.html www.hostforweb.co

    > Ok. I think I don't know all the options about web hosting and domain
    > name registration stuff. So, first I should ask this:

    > I want run a web server on my own machine, how do I configure a domain
    > name such that if someone types www.mydomainname.info in the browser, it
    > goes to my webserver's index file.

    > What options do I have in this situation?

    > Thanks,
    > /KS

    First thing you need to do is to contact your service provider and find out
    if they allow that or not. Many do not.
    As your machine is at best, on cable DSL, you should realize that loading
    will be slow in comparison to a T1 or better service.
    Do not even consider this if you are on dialup.

    This is why you should have a proper host for the domain name.
    They have the capabilites of providing those features like DNS and some even
    allow you to create your name server identifier.

    You don't just jump into this without knowing more than what you apparently
    do.
    As I said earlier, to be a bona fide domain, you must have two servers
    operating 24x7. One home computer does not cut it.

    You would be better off registering the domain name, and use it to redirect
    to your already existing site.

    Running a true webserver takes a lot more knowledge than just knowing how to
    write web pages and the bare basics of the internet.
    Not to mention the time it takes to maintain it.

    Then why not save all the hassle, buy cheap space somewhere and let the host
    worry about the headaches.

    Richard, Dec 10, 2004
  7. [KS]

    [KS] Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > [KS] wrote:
    >
    > > Richard wrote:

    > >> Want you want to do is called redirection.
    > >> You do not want to host your full domain name directly as the rules say
    > >> that to do so, you must have two servers and they must be online
    > >>24x7. http://www.themooseisloose.net/cpanelhosting.html www.hostforweb.co

    > > Ok. I think I don't know all the options about web hosting and domain
    > > name registration stuff. So, first I should ask this:

    > > I want run a web server on my own machine, how do I configure a domain
    > > name such that if someone types www.mydomainname.info in the browser, it
    > > goes to my webserver's index file.

    > > What options do I have in this situation?

    > > Thanks,
    > > /KS

    > First thing you need to do is to contact your service provider and find out
    > if they allow that or not. Many do not.
    > As your machine is at best, on cable DSL, you should realize that loading
    > will be slow in comparison to a T1 or better service.
    > Do not even consider this if you are on dialup.
    >
    > This is why you should have a proper host for the domain name.
    > They have the capabilites of providing those features like DNS and some even
    > allow you to create your name server identifier.
    >
    > You don't just jump into this without knowing more than what you apparently
    > do.
    > As I said earlier, to be a bona fide domain, you must have two servers
    > operating 24x7. One home computer does not cut it.
    >
    > You would be better off registering the domain name, and use it to redirect
    > to your already existing site.
    >
    > Running a true webserver takes a lot more knowledge than just knowing how to
    > write web pages and the bare basics of the internet.
    > Not to mention the time it takes to maintain it.
    >
    > Then why not save all the hassle, buy cheap space somewhere and let the host
    > worry about the headaches.

    Hi Richard,

    Thanks for the advice. I do understand that a dedicated web hosting
    service working 24x7 and having a connection similar to a T1 or better
    are basic requirements of a website. However, in my case I am just
    serving 5-6 pages with very few graphics on them(3 actually, I used 5-6
    to include test pages I have for so open source work I volunteer for).

    The biggest file I serve is a 20kB html page with a couple of images and
    it sums up to about 60kB. The other main reason for running the
    webserver when I want to distribute photographs to my friends. I don't
    like to clog-up their mail boxes with those photographs and so I just
    send them a link of the download page so that they can download them by
    logging on to that page.

    I could have also given them accounts to logon to my machine via ssh,
    but the webserver idea looks to be much easier to me.

    Thus the ADSL service is serving my purpose very nicely for now. I might
    look for pro web hosting service in future if need be.

    Thanks for the advice.
    /KS

    [KS], Dec 10, 2004
  8. [KS]

    SpaceGirl Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    > [KS] wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I tried a couple of other groups but didn't get any reply. I hope
    >> someone would know about this stuff in this group.
    >>
    >> I have an ADSL connection, and run a script from one of the FREE
    >> dynamic dns services. Also, I run my own webserver on my machine and
    >> the free service forwards all request to the free domain name I got to
    >> my machine's server. (The bandwidth I use is around 30MB/month, so its
    >> logical for me to use my ADSL than a web host)
    >>
    >> Now, to take the next step I thought of registering a domain name. I
    >> was searching on yahoo, and saw their advertisement of $4.98/yr domain
    >> name registration offer.
    >>
    >> What I wanted to know is, if I buy this package what would services
    >> would Yahoo!Domains provide me?(I couldn't find much detail on their
    >> web site) Is it possible to somehow use the domain name I register
    >> with the dynamic dns service so that anyone who types
    >> www.mydomainname.info, goes to the home page of the web server I run
    >> on my machine?
    >>
    >> Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> KS

    > Dont buy from Yahoo. All the providers I know offer domains for $10 over
    > 2 years ($5 a year) and I would NOT personally want to be tied down to a
    > megacorp like Yahoo.

    My american host does domains from $5 per year - http://www.easycgi.com.
    I guess these days it doesn't matter at all where you buy your domain.
    I'm in Scotland... no problems buying and managing domains with US hosts.

    Incidentally, we also run a web server out of our flat (apartment) on a
    4mbit cable. I use www.no-ip.com to redirect traffic to it. It's our
    home server and design machine, however I wouldn't dream of running a
    commercial sites off of it. While we do have RAID and a UPS on the
    machine, my host in the US has a clean room, multiple backup lines,
    multiple power sources, multiple servers etc... I could never duplicate
    even a fraction of that security or redundency in my home! Not worth the
    risk...

    xM

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 11, 2004
  9. [KS]

    [KS] Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >> [KS] wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I tried a couple of other groups but didn't get any reply. I hope
    >>> someone would know about this stuff in this group.
    >>>
    >>> I have an ADSL connection, and run a script from one of the FREE
    >>> dynamic dns services. Also, I run my own webserver on my machine and
    >>> the free service forwards all request to the free domain name I got
    >>> to my machine's server. (The bandwidth I use is around 30MB/month, so
    >>> its logical for me to use my ADSL than a web host)
    >>>
    >>> Now, to take the next step I thought of registering a domain name. I
    >>> was searching on yahoo, and saw their advertisement of $4.98/yr
    >>> domain name registration offer.
    >>>
    >>> What I wanted to know is, if I buy this package what would services
    >>> would Yahoo!Domains provide me?(I couldn't find much detail on their
    >>> web site) Is it possible to somehow use the domain name I register
    >>> with the dynamic dns service so that anyone who types
    >>> www.mydomainname.info, goes to the home page of the web server I run
    >>> on my machine?
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> KS

    >> Dont buy from Yahoo. All the providers I know offer domains for $10
    >> over 2 years ($5 a year) and I would NOT personally want to be tied
    >> down to a megacorp like Yahoo.
    >>

    > My american host does domains from $5 per year - http://www.easycgi.com.
    > I guess these days it doesn't matter at all where you buy your domain.
    > I'm in Scotland... no problems buying and managing domains with US hosts.
    >
    > Incidentally, we also run a web server out of our flat (apartment) on a
    > 4mbit cable. I use www.no-ip.com to redirect traffic to it. It's our
    > home server and design machine, however I wouldn't dream of running a
    > commercial sites off of it. While we do have RAID and a UPS on the

    I also use no-ip.com service. And the 3 or so pages I have, get less
    than 10hits a day, and there is nothing commercial about it. The pages I
    have online are related to a little bit of open source work I volunteer
    for. Major portion of my bandwidth is used by 3-4 friends of mine when I
    give them a link to download photographs.

    > machine, my host in the US has a clean room, multiple backup lines,
    > multiple power sources, multiple servers etc... I could never duplicate
    > even a fraction of that security or redundency in my home! Not worth the
    > risk...
    >
    > xM

    Thanks, I will check easycgi also.
    /KS

    [KS], Dec 11, 2004
  10. [KS]

    Richard Guest

    [KS] wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> [KS] wrote:

    > Hi Richard,

    > Thanks for the advice. I do understand that a dedicated web hosting
    > service working 24x7 and having a connection similar to a T1 or better
    > are basic requirements of a website. However, in my case I am just
    > serving 5-6 pages with very few graphics on them(3 actually, I used 5-6
    > to include test pages I have for so open source work I volunteer for).

    > The biggest file I serve is a 20kB html page with a couple of images and
    > it sums up to about 60kB. The other main reason for running the
    > webserver when I want to distribute photographs to my friends. I don't
    > like to clog-up their mail boxes with those photographs and so I just
    > send them a link of the download page so that they can download them by
    > logging on to that page.

    > I could have also given them accounts to logon to my machine via ssh,
    > but the webserver idea looks to be much easier to me.

    > Thus the ADSL service is serving my purpose very nicely for now. I might
    > look for pro web hosting service in future if need be.

    > Thanks for the advice.
    > /KS

    Dude. I did the same thing you're doing when I went on cable.
    I was told loading of even the simplest of pages was SLOWWWWW!

    Go to geocities.com and get yourself a free website.
    Forget hosting it locally.

    Richard, Dec 11, 2004