Domain name registration

Water Cooler v2

I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?

What're the few best choices? Thanks!

Adrienne Boswell

I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?

What're the few best choices? Thanks!

I've been using GoDaddy <http://www.godaddy.com/> for years and have never
had a problem with them. They have great music on hold (Bob Parson's
personal pick), the few times I've had to call them.

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [ Adrienne Boswell ] on Sunday 05 March 2006 09:43 \__
I've been using GoDaddy <http://www.godaddy.com/> for years and have never
had a problem with them. They have great music on hold (Bob Parson's
personal pick), the few times I've had to call them.

I hear that GoDaddy are the wise and safe choice to stick with. If you
need to transfer domain ownerships, however, then you might as well con-
sider registering with the prospective Web host. There is a 3-month delay
when moving domain registration from one host to another, let alone if you
consider 'irregular' registrars. I am not sure if things have changed
since the last time I experienced and paid the toll of this.

Hope it helps,

Roy

William Tasso

Fleeing from the madness of the http://groups.google.com jungle
Water Cooler v2 <[email protected]> stumbled into
and said:
I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?

What're the few best choices?

godady has already been mentioned

also take a look at joker.com - they have proved themselves easy to work
with.

NotMe

| Fleeing from the madness of the http://groups.google.com jungle
| Water Cooler v2 <[email protected]> stumbled into
| and said:
|
| > I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
| > a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
| > that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
| > the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
| > registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
| >
| > What're the few best choices?
|
| godady has already been mentioned
|
| also take a look at joker.com - they have proved themselves easy to work
| with.

Take care if you register a *.ws domain as once registered you can't
transfer the registration.

Greg N.

Water said:
I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
a domain name.

This may be obvious, but I say it anyway: The first thing you need to
look at is at web space providers, their features, and their cost.

Many providers will let you create a web site without registering a
domain name of your own. Your web site will get an address something like

your-name . provider-name . com
or
www . provider-name . com / your-name.

Once you got started, you can have the provider take care of registering
a domain name of your choice, but this is not necessarily the first
thing to do.

TechnoHippie

I've been using GoDaddy <http://www.godaddy.com/> for years and have
never had a problem with them. They have great music on hold (Bob
Parson's personal pick), the few times I've had to call them.

*chuckle* I haven't had to call them yet but ... I can't wait!
I just started using godaddy to host two of my domains ... one paid and one
free account. The only difference with the free account is 100px of top-
page real-estate. Same 5gig space and 250gig transfer.

I'd recommend godaddy's basic/beginner host package. Since Gemma is a
beginner and all :)

Judy

Chris S.

Water said:
I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
What're the few best choices? Thanks!

Hello,

I also use Godaddy.com, and have for a few years now. I also know
several people who use Network Solutions. They're more expensive, but
they also have better domain searching tools than Godaddy.

Chris S.

Free Web Design Tools
http://www.impliedbydesign.com/free-software-scripts.html

Richard Rundle

NotMe said:
Take care if you register a *.ws domain as once registered you can't
transfer the registration.

But if you're not in Samoa, it shouldn't really be a problem, should it ?

Matt-the-Hoople

Quoth Water Cooler v2 in alt.www.webmaster
I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?

What're the few best choices? Thanks!

I've only read a few of the responses, but -

1. Register the name yourself. Never allow your host to register/manage the name for you. It's easy enough for you to
understand, and no one will be able to foul it up for you.

2. GoDaddy is a fine choice, as is (or was) Dotster. There are others, certainly, that are equally as good, those two are the ones
that I have experience with.

DO NOT USE:
Register.com - they arbitrarily reset auto renew without your knowledge - bad bad bad
Network Solutions - they're just too big for their britches and can't get out of their own way.

HTH

Sabrina

I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?

What're the few best choices? Thanks!
If you are looking for a cheap .co.uk domain I can highly recommend

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

Sab :)
http://www.atlf84.dsl.pipex.com/uk_affiliate_programs.html

NotMe

"Richard Rundle"

| > Take care if you register a *.ws domain as once registered you can't
| > transfer the registration.
| >

| But if you're not in Samoa, it shouldn't really be a problem, should it ?

Not many of the *.ws domains have anything to do with W Samoa. The company
that administers the domain is located in the USA.

Most think *.ws = *.WebSite ... I doubt if the holders can even find it on
a map.

William Tasso

Fleeing from the madness of the jungle
NotMe <[email protected]> stumbled into
and said:
"Richard Rundle"

| > Take care if you register a *.ws domain as once registered you can't
| > transfer the registration.
| >
| But if you're not in Samoa, it shouldn't really be a problem, should
it ?

Not many of the *.ws domains have anything to do with W Samoa. The
company
that administers the domain is located in the USA.

Most think *.ws = *.WebSite ...

which makes it more or less superfluous don't you think?[1] - but then I
think the whole idea of TLDs wasn't properly thought out [2] - we are all
familiar with the potential for confusion viz. http://whitehouse..... &c.

I doubt if the holders can even find it on
a map.

I suspect the inhabitants are grateful for that.

FWIW I've yet to field one single enquiry for a .ws domain - the same is
also true for .info - I have one .biz on the books.

[1] yes, I know - but this is a webmaster group so live with it.
[2] hindsight is blessed with 20/20 vision

?

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

William said:
FWIW I've yet to field one single enquiry for a .ws domain - the same
is also true for .info - I have one .biz on the books.

Sounds about right. I currently hold several .info and a couple of .biz
names, but mainly because I have most of them in the .com and/or .net
version as well. And I registered them just to avoid someone with cruel
intentions doing it first. I've yet to see someone actually using any
of them to reach any websites linked to them (if any). With the
exception of a .info domain I registered to use with a Norwegian IRC
help channel for PHP programmers (which generally just contains the
channel rules, starter links and a self-made pastebin).

Mark Goodge

Sounds about right. I currently hold several .info and a couple of .biz
names, but mainly because I have most of them in the .com and/or .net
version as well. And I registered them just to avoid someone with cruel
intentions doing it first. I've yet to see someone actually using any
of them to reach any websites linked to them (if any). With the
exception of a .info domain I registered to use with a Norwegian IRC
help channel for PHP programmers (which generally just contains the
channel rules, starter links and a self-made pastebin).

Just as a contra-indication, my experience is that .info is becoming
increasingly more popular and I've got several that I deal with - both
my own and those of other people (my second most popular website is on
a .info domain). The big advantage of .info, at least for English
speakers, is that it's a real word (or, at least, a common abbreviated
word) which can make the entire domain make sense as a phrase. From
here in the UK, it's often also a better choice for non-profit sites
than either .org or .org.uk, as it's easy for people to get confused
between the gTLD and ccTLD forms and end up at the wrong place. And,
according to published stats, registrations in .info are growing
faster than any other gTLD, even though it's still running in fourth
place overall behind .com, .net and .org.

I'd agree, though, that no-one seems to want .biz. I don't know anyone
who uses it for a primary domain, and only a handful of owners who've
registered it defensively and pointed it to an existing domain. Part
of the problem is reputaion - all that seems to be on .biz are
spammers and scammers.

Mark

Raybman

It is not wise to buy your domain from the same people that are going to
host your site. If in the future you want to change hosting companies, it
is possible they can make it difficult for you to change your domain
settings (eg. nameservers). Believe it or not, this does happen. Like
mentioned earlier, you will want to have total control of your domain. Most
of the poplar domain retailers will have simple, easy to use control panels
that allow you total control of your domain.
Godaddy and 1and1 are two that I use. Both are reasonably priced and have
good reputations.

Ray

www.esparzawebdesign.com - Website Creation, Hosting, Consulting, and
Maintenance

Usenet

And

reading through PIPEX's t&c's it says that (in the case of name
registration) what they do (& just about all they do) is pass the
application on to the relevant naming authority!

Is this really such a difficult thing that we can't do it ourselves
directly?

Regards
Mark Stanton
One small step for mankind...

Sally Thompson

That's what I'd heard too, but looking there I saw

Copyright ©2005 www.123-reg.co.uk - part of the PIPEX Group.

Are they *really* alright?

I have registered three domains with them with absolutely no trouble.
Excellent service and not expensive.