    the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
    registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?

    What're the few best choices? Thanks!

    Water Cooler v2, Mar 5, 2006

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Water Cooler v2"
    <> writing in news:1141539741.411961.172800
    @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

    > I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
    > a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
    > that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
    > the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
    > registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
    >
    > What're the few best choices? Thanks!

    I've been using GoDaddy <http://www.godaddy.com/> for years and have never
    had a problem with them. They have great music on hold (Bob Parson's
    personal pick), the few times I've had to call them.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 5, 2006

  3. __/ [ Adrienne Boswell ] on Sunday 05 March 2006 09:43 \__

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Water Cooler v2"
    > <> writing in news:1141539741.411961.172800
    > @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
    >> a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
    >> that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
    >> the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
    >> registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
    >>
    >> What're the few best choices? Thanks!
    >>

    > I've been using GoDaddy <http://www.godaddy.com/> for years and have never
    > had a problem with them. They have great music on hold (Bob Parson's
    > personal pick), the few times I've had to call them.

    I hear that GoDaddy are the wise and safe choice to stick with. If you
    need to transfer domain ownerships, however, then you might as well con-
    sider registering with the prospective Web host. There is a 3-month delay
    when moving domain registration from one host to another, let alone if you
    consider 'irregular' registrars. I am not sure if things have changed
    since the last time I experienced and paid the toll of this.

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

    Roy Schestowitz, Mar 5, 2006
  4. Fleeing from the madness of the http://groups.google.com jungle
    Water Cooler v2 <> stumbled into
    and said:

    > I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
    > a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
    > that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
    > the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
    > registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
    >
    > What're the few best choices?

    godady has already been mentioned

    also take a look at joker.com - they have proved themselves easy to work
    with.

    --
    William Tasso

    whither a trophy?

    William Tasso, Mar 5, 2006
  5. Water Cooler v2

    NotMe Guest

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    | Fleeing from the madness of the http://groups.google.com jungle
    | Water Cooler v2 <> stumbled into
    | and said:
    |
    | > I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
    | > a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
    | > that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
    | > the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
    | > registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
    | >
    | > What're the few best choices?
    |
    | godady has already been mentioned
    |
    | also take a look at joker.com - they have proved themselves easy to work
    | with.

    Take care if you register a *.ws domain as once registered you can't
    transfer the registration.

    NotMe, Mar 5, 2006
  6. Water Cooler v2

    Greg N. Guest

    Water Cooler v2 wrote:
    > I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
    > a domain name.

    This may be obvious, but I say it anyway: The first thing you need to
    look at is at web space providers, their features, and their cost.

    Many providers will let you create a web site without registering a
    domain name of your own. Your web site will get an address something like

    your-name . provider-name . com
    or
    www . provider-name . com / your-name.

    Once you got started, you can have the provider take care of registering
    a domain name of your choice, but this is not necessarily the first
    thing to do.

    --
    Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

    Greg N., Mar 5, 2006
  7. Water Cooler v2

    TechnoHippie Guest

    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote in

    > I've been using GoDaddy <http://www.godaddy.com/> for years and have
    > never had a problem with them. They have great music on hold (Bob
    > Parson's personal pick), the few times I've had to call them.

    *chuckle* I haven't had to call them yet but ... I can't wait!
    I just started using godaddy to host two of my domains ... one paid and one
    free account. The only difference with the free account is 100px of top-
    page real-estate. Same 5gig space and 250gig transfer.

    I'd recommend godaddy's basic/beginner host package. Since Gemma is a
    beginner and all :)

    Judy
    --
    http://www.technohippie.com/

    TechnoHippie, Mar 5, 2006
  8. Water Cooler v2

    Chris S. Guest

    Water Cooler v2 wrote:
    > I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
    > a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
    > that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
    > the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
    > registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
    > What're the few best choices? Thanks!

    Hello,

    I also use Godaddy.com, and have for a few years now. I also know
    several people who use Network Solutions. They're more expensive, but
    they also have better domain searching tools than Godaddy.

    Chris S.

    Free Web Design Tools
    http://www.impliedbydesign.com/free-software-scripts.html

    Chris S., Mar 5, 2006
  9. "NotMe" <> wrote in message news:wcBOf.48$...

    > Take care if you register a *.ws domain as once registered you can't
    > transfer the registration.

    But if you're not in Samoa, it shouldn't really be a problem, should it ?

    --
    Richard

    Richard Rundle, Mar 5, 2006
  10. Quoth Water Cooler v2 in alt.www.webmaster

    > I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
    > a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
    > that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
    > the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
    > registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
    >
    > What're the few best choices? Thanks!

    I've only read a few of the responses, but -

    1. Register the name yourself. Never allow your host to register/manage the name for you. It's easy enough for you to
    understand, and no one will be able to foul it up for you.

    2. GoDaddy is a fine choice, as is (or was) Dotster. There are others, certainly, that are equally as good, those two are the ones
    that I have experience with.

    DO NOT USE:
    Register.com - they arbitrarily reset auto renew without your knowledge - bad bad bad
    Network Solutions - they're just too big for their britches and can't get out of their own way.

    HTH

    --
    # www.mattlindi.com
    # matt.lindi2@your_clothes_verizon.net

    Matt-the-Hoople, Mar 5, 2006
  11. Water Cooler v2

    Sabrina Guest

    "Water Cooler v2" <> wrote in

    > I want to create my own new website. I believe I first have to register
    > a domain name. I looked up Google and got a lot of links to websites
    > that let you register a domain name. I am asking for advise on whether
    > the cost to register is the only criteria for choosing a domain
    > registrar or is there some particular widely popular choice?
    >
    > What're the few best choices? Thanks!

    If you are looking for a cheap .co.uk domain I can highly recommend

    http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

    Sab :)
    http://www.atlf84.dsl.pipex.com/uk_affiliate_programs.html

    Sabrina, Mar 5, 2006
  12. Water Cooler v2

    NotMe Guest

    "Richard Rundle"

    | > Take care if you register a *.ws domain as once registered you can't
    | > transfer the registration.
    | >

    | But if you're not in Samoa, it shouldn't really be a problem, should it ?

    Not many of the *.ws domains have anything to do with W Samoa. The company
    that administers the domain is located in the USA.

    Most think *.ws = *.WebSite ... I doubt if the holders can even find it on
    a map.

    NotMe, Mar 6, 2006
  13. Fleeing from the madness of the jungle
    NotMe <> stumbled into
    and said:

    > "Richard Rundle"
    >
    > | > Take care if you register a *.ws domain as once registered you can't
    > | > transfer the registration.
    > | >
    > | But if you're not in Samoa, it shouldn't really be a problem, should
    > it ?
    >
    > Not many of the *.ws domains have anything to do with W Samoa. The
    > company
    > that administers the domain is located in the USA.
    >
    > Most think *.ws = *.WebSite ...

    which makes it more or less superfluous don't you think?[1] - but then I
    think the whole idea of TLDs wasn't properly thought out [2] - we are all
    familiar with the potential for confusion viz. http://whitehouse..... &c.

    > I doubt if the holders can even find it on
    > a map.

    I suspect the inhabitants are grateful for that.

    FWIW I've yet to field one single enquiry for a .ws domain - the same is
    also true for .info - I have one .biz on the books.

    [1] yes, I know - but this is a webmaster group so live with it.
    [2] hindsight is blessed with 20/20 vision

    --
    William Tasso

    whither a trophy?

    William Tasso, Mar 6, 2006
  14. Water Cooler v2

    robert blake Guest

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in news:eek:p.s5zugccmm9g4qz-
    :

    > [1] yes, I know - but this is a webmaster group so live with it.
    > [2] hindsight is blessed with 20/20 vision

    definitely maybe

    robert blake, Mar 6, 2006
  15. William Tasso wrote:

    > FWIW I've yet to field one single enquiry for a .ws domain - the same
    > is also true for .info - I have one .biz on the books.

    Sounds about right. I currently hold several .info and a couple of .biz
    names, but mainly because I have most of them in the .com and/or .net
    version as well. And I registered them just to avoid someone with cruel
    intentions doing it first. I've yet to see someone actually using any
    of them to reach any websites linked to them (if any). With the
    exception of a .info domain I registered to use with a Norwegian IRC
    help channel for PHP programmers (which generally just contains the
    channel rules, starter links and a self-made pastebin).

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    =?iso-8859-15?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Mar 6, 2006
  16. Water Cooler v2

    Mark Goodge Guest

    On 6 Mar 2006 16:31:24 GMT, Kim André Akerø put finger to keyboard and
    typed:

    >William Tasso wrote:
    >
    >> FWIW I've yet to field one single enquiry for a .ws domain - the same
    >> is also true for .info - I have one .biz on the books.

    >Sounds about right. I currently hold several .info and a couple of .biz
    >names, but mainly because I have most of them in the .com and/or .net
    >version as well. And I registered them just to avoid someone with cruel
    >intentions doing it first. I've yet to see someone actually using any
    >of them to reach any websites linked to them (if any). With the
    >exception of a .info domain I registered to use with a Norwegian IRC
    >help channel for PHP programmers (which generally just contains the
    >channel rules, starter links and a self-made pastebin).

    Just as a contra-indication, my experience is that .info is becoming
    increasingly more popular and I've got several that I deal with - both
    my own and those of other people (my second most popular website is on
    a .info domain). The big advantage of .info, at least for English
    speakers, is that it's a real word (or, at least, a common abbreviated
    word) which can make the entire domain make sense as a phrase. From
    here in the UK, it's often also a better choice for non-profit sites
    than either .org or .org.uk, as it's easy for people to get confused
    between the gTLD and ccTLD forms and end up at the wrong place. And,
    according to published stats, registrations in .info are growing
    faster than any other gTLD, even though it's still running in fourth
    place overall behind .com, .net and .org.

    I'd agree, though, that no-one seems to want .biz. I don't know anyone
    who uses it for a primary domain, and only a handful of owners who've
    registered it defensively and pointed it to an existing domain. Part
    of the problem is reputaion - all that seems to be on .biz are
    spammers and scammers.

    Mark
    --
    Visit: http://www.CorporateContact.info - phone and email contacts for Amazon, Paypal, eBay and lots of other hard-to-contact organisations
    Listen: http://www.goodge.co.uk/files/dweeb.mp3 - you'll love it!

    Mark Goodge, Mar 6, 2006
  17. Water Cooler v2

    Raybman Guest

    It is not wise to buy your domain from the same people that are going to
    host your site. If in the future you want to change hosting companies, it
    is possible they can make it difficult for you to change your domain
    settings (eg. nameservers). Believe it or not, this does happen. Like
    mentioned earlier, you will want to have total control of your domain. Most
    of the poplar domain retailers will have simple, easy to use control panels
    that allow you total control of your domain.
    Godaddy and 1and1 are two that I use. Both are reasonably priced and have
    good reputations.

    Ray

    www.esparzawebdesign.com - Website Creation, Hosting, Consulting, and
    Maintenance

    Raybman, Mar 8, 2006
  18. Water Cooler v2

    Usenet Guest

    In article <Xns977DD854E3BA7pop87tiny@66.150.105.47>, Sabrina wrote:

    > If you are looking for a cheap .co.uk domain I can highly recommend
    >
    > http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

    That's what I'd heard too, but looking there I saw

    Copyright ©2005 www.123-reg.co.uk - part of the PIPEX Group.

    Are they *really* alright?

    Regards
    Mark Stanton
    One small step for mankind...

    Usenet, Mar 8, 2006
  19. Water Cooler v2

    Usenet Guest

    And

    reading through PIPEX's t&c's it says that (in the case of name
    registration) what they do (& just about all they do) is pass the
    application on to the relevant naming authority!

    Is this really such a difficult thing that we can't do it ourselves
    directly?

    Regards
    Mark Stanton
    One small step for mankind...

    Usenet, Mar 8, 2006
  20. On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:39:41 +0000, Usenet wrote
    (in article <>):

    > In article <Xns977DD854E3BA7pop87tiny@66.150.105.47>, Sabrina wrote:
    >
    >> If you are looking for a cheap .co.uk domain I can highly recommend
    >>
    >> http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

    > That's what I'd heard too, but looking there I saw
    >
    > Copyright ©2005 www.123-reg.co.uk - part of the PIPEX Group.
    >
    > Are they *really* alright?

    I have registered three domains with them with absolutely no trouble.
    Excellent service and not expensive.

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk