Donations sought for victims of terror in Beslan, Russia

Discussion in 'Java' started by Nikita Tovstoles, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. [alt.internet.wireless, alt.java.programmer]

    Apologies for posting on topic not directly related to this newsgroup,
    but I feel the urgency of situation rather warrants this.

    International Foundation for Victims of Terror Acts is gathering
    donations to be sent to the families of victims of the. This
    organization is an IRS-recognized US Public Charity and transfers 100%
    of donations *directly* to the families, with no administrative
    overhead. As of sept. 4, hundreds of people already made their
    contributions.

    Please go to moscowhelp.org to learn more and contribute. Also, please
    let your friends - online or otherwise - know about moscowhelp.org -
    every dollar counts.

    thank you
    -nikita
    PS. I am not affiliated with moscowhelp.org, just a concerned person
    wanting to help

    Nikita Tovstoles, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Nikita Tovstoles

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Nikita Tovstoles wrote:

    > [alt.internet.wireless, alt.java.programmer]
    >
    > Apologies for posting on topic not directly related to this newsgroup,
    > but I feel the urgency of situation rather warrants this.
    >

    > International Foundation for Victims of Terror Acts is gathering
    > donations to be sent to the families of victims of the. This
    > organization is an IRS-recognized US Public Charity

    This is false. Visit the site and read the IRS letter for yourself. There is
    a PDF copy of a letter from the IRS, which may or may not be legitimate,
    that says this organization's status is accepted at face value but the IRS
    is awaiting further information. It is NOT a "US Public Charity".

    > and transfers 100%
    > of donations *directly* to the families, with no administrative
    > overhead.

    Good luck backing up this claim.

    As is true of all such appeals, everyone who reads this appeal should
    proceed very cautiously.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Sep 4, 2004

  3. On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 20:49:13 GMT, Nikita Tovstoles
    <> wrote:

    > Apologies for posting on topic not directly related to this newsgroup,
    > but I feel the urgency of situation rather warrants this.
    >International Foundation for Victims of Terror Acts is gathering
    > donations to be sent to the families of victims

    Although your cause may be worthy, please realise that there are more
    appropriate media channels for charity fund-raising. If everyone who
    wanted to raise money for a good cause posted to every newsgroup they
    found, the function of the newsgroup as an efficient exchange of highly
    directed, technical information would cease to exist. Just imagine if
    well-meaning organisations and individuals began soliciting money to help
    the innocent victims of all of the world's conflicts - from Palestinian
    widows whose children have been 'liquidated' by Israeli soldiers, to the
    families of over 15000 Iraqi and Afghani civilians murdered by American
    bombs. Please understand that we cannot allow the newsgroups to stray
    off-topic or (heaven forbid) become politicised.

    Richard Chrenko, Sep 6, 2004