Don't like JSTL

LspWvxEhvClk

As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
tags.
I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
avoiding tags.

I would prefer something like:

html.startPage();

table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );

list.orderedList( vector );

Are there already people working on this?

Jens Martin Schlatter

Abrasive Sponge

As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
tags.
I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
avoiding tags.

I would prefer something like:

html.startPage();

table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );

list.orderedList( vector );

Are there already people working on this?

Jens Martin Schlatter

I don't. I love JSTL. But I know a few from our user group that won't
have it any other way.

kaeli

As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
tags.
I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
avoiding tags.

I would prefer something like:

html.startPage();

table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );

list.orderedList( vector );

Are there already people working on this?

Yeah. It's called the Perl CGI libraries. LOL j/k

Servlets probably have similar libraries, if you look around.
If you don't like tags, don't use JSP. Use servlets instead. You can always
make your own libs similar to this if no one else has. Did you look at
Sourceforge?

This completely defeats the purpose of MVC design, though, which is what most
people are moving towards, not away from.

LspWvxEhvClk

This completely defeats the purpose of MVC design, though, which is
what most
people are moving towards, not away from.

After 20 years of software development, I know that the people are
moving towards MVC today and to something new tomorrow.

JMS

Murray

As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
tags.
I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
avoiding tags.

I would prefer something like:

html.startPage();

table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );

list.orderedList( vector );

Are there already people working on this?

Jens Martin Schlatter

It's quite a while ago that I looked at it, but perhaps XMLC might be
*something like* what you're after? http://xmlc.objectweb.org/

Bryce

As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
tags.
I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
avoiding tags.

I would prefer something like:

html.startPage();

table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );

list.orderedList( vector );

Are there already people working on this?

Try this:

http://jakarta.apache.org/ecs/index.html

Harald

As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
tags.
I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
avoiding tags.

I would prefer something like:

html.startPage();

table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );

Yes, please, me toooo.-)
Harald.

Harald

This completely defeats the purpose of MVC design, though, which is what most
people are moving towards, not away from.

Hmm, why/how does MVC require a strange mix of HTML/Java/Tag
syntax. Sounds as if you are suggesting that MVC is not possible with
Java alone.

Harald.

Bryce

This looks good. Do I have to download it to get the documentation?

Is it possible to use logical markup patterns ("this is an address") or
does it rely on the physical description ("bold and underline")?

Dunno. Never used it.

Download and try it out is my suggestion