    Are there already people working on this?

    Jens Martin Schlatter

    , Apr 18, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
    > tags.
    > I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
    > avoiding tags.
    >
    > I would prefer something like:
    >
    > html.startPage();
    >
    > table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );
    >
    > list.orderedList( vector );
    >
    > Are there already people working on this?
    >
    > Jens Martin Schlatter

    I don't. I love JSTL. But I know a few from our user group that won't
    have it any other way.

    Abrasive Sponge, Apr 18, 2005

  3. kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    enlightened us with...
    > As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
    > tags.
    > I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
    > avoiding tags.
    >
    > I would prefer something like:
    >
    > html.startPage();
    >
    > table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );
    >
    > list.orderedList( vector );
    >
    > Are there already people working on this?

    Yeah. It's called the Perl CGI libraries. LOL j/k

    Servlets probably have similar libraries, if you look around.
    If you don't like tags, don't use JSP. Use servlets instead. You can always
    make your own libs similar to this if no one else has. Did you look at
    Sourceforge?

    This completely defeats the purpose of MVC design, though, which is what most
    people are moving towards, not away from.

    ~kaeli~
    When you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Apr 18, 2005

    > This completely defeats the purpose of MVC design, though, which is
    what most
    > people are moving towards, not away from.

    After 20 years of software development, I know that the people are
    moving towards MVC today and to something new tomorrow.

    JMS

    , Apr 19, 2005
  5. Murray Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
    > tags.
    > I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
    > avoiding tags.
    >
    > I would prefer something like:
    >
    > html.startPage();
    >
    > table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );
    >
    > list.orderedList( vector );
    >
    > Are there already people working on this?
    >
    > Jens Martin Schlatter

    It's quite a while ago that I looked at it, but perhaps XMLC might be
    *something like* what you're after? http://xmlc.objectweb.org/

    Murray, Apr 19, 2005
  6. Bryce Guest

    On 18 Apr 2005 07:06:19 -0700, wrote:

    >As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
    >tags.
    >I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
    >avoiding tags.
    >
    >I would prefer something like:
    >
    > html.startPage();
    >
    > table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );
    >
    > list.orderedList( vector );
    >
    >Are there already people working on this?

    Try this:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/ecs/index.html

    --
    now with more cowbell

    Bryce, Apr 19, 2005
  7. Harald Guest

    writes:

    > As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
    > tags.
    > I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
    > avoiding tags.
    >
    > I would prefer something like:
    >
    > html.startPage();
    >
    > table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );

    Yes, please, me toooo.-)
    Harald.

    --
    ---------------------+---------------------------------------------
    Harald Kirsch (@home)|

    Harald, Apr 19, 2005
  8. Harald Guest

    kaeli <> writes:

    > In article <>,
    > enlightened us with...
    >> As a programmer, I don't like the JSTL concept of programming with
    >> tags.
    >> I would prefer the opposite concept: creating HTML with a program,
    >> avoiding tags.
    >>
    >> I would prefer something like:
    >>
    >> html.startPage();
    >>
    >> table.create(matrix); or table.makeRow( vector );
    >>
    >> list.orderedList( vector );

    > This completely defeats the purpose of MVC design, though, which is what most
    > people are moving towards, not away from.

    Hmm, why/how does MVC require a strange mix of HTML/Java/Tag
    syntax. Sounds as if you are suggesting that MVC is not possible with
    Java alone.

    Harald.

    --
    ---------------------+---------------------------------------------

    Harald, Apr 19, 2005

    > Try this:
    >
    > http://jakarta.apache.org/ecs/index.html

    This looks good. Do I have to download it to get the documentation?

    Is it possible to use logical markup patterns ("this is an address") or
    does it rely on the physical description ("bold and underline")?

    Jens Martin Schlatter

    , Apr 20, 2005
  10. kaeli Guest

    kaeli, Apr 20, 2005
  11. Bryce Guest

    On 19 Apr 2005 23:42:17 -0700, wrote:

    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> http://jakarta.apache.org/ecs/index.html

    >This looks good. Do I have to download it to get the documentation?
    >
    >Is it possible to use logical markup patterns ("this is an address") or
    >does it rely on the physical description ("bold and underline")?

    Dunno. Never used it.

    Download and try it out is my suggestion

    --
    now with more cowbell

    Bryce, Apr 20, 2005