Don't understand the NEW (INSERT) record in Gridview

Edwin Knoppert

I just tried the gridview's NEW linkbutton but nothing happens.
Alternativly i made use of a separate detailsview on the same webpage and
managed me to add a record fine.
However, if i make use of the gridviews paging and due sorting effect the
new record can be shown at any location.
This is unwanted, i would prefer to let the gridview show the new fields for
entering data just like the EDIT mode.
On insert the paging should be on the same page as the row inserted.

I have sorting percolumn for the gridview turned on..

Can someone explain what the steps are in plain englisch, no source, i have
seen enough examples today but i need to understand the logic.