Don't wish to give up on a Tkinter GUI Builder :(

vbgunz

Hello world,

I tried looking everywhere for a decent Tkinter GUI builder and the
closest I got to finding one before being horrified from looking at the
source was vtcl @ http://vtcl.sourceforge.net. The next closest thing
was page @ http://page.sourceforge.net/

Page just didn't cut it for me and I got several errors from it whereas
vtcl was almost a dream come true. it was not only perfect but I had a
full fledged gui design up and running at the click of a file in less
than ten minutes with so many widgets neatly placed...

When I looked at the source, it was in Tcl... It was huge at about 477
lines for a nice and complete interface... problem is I don't know Tcl
from chinese... I assume it is Tcl because the extension on the
generated file was Tcl... Man, what a let down...

The following sites had nothing helpful on the subject at all...

http://www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python
http://google.com

Yup, I searched it all.. Maybe I am searching with the wrong keywords
or maybe not a single good gui designer for tkinter even exist? Chances
are extremely high at this point the only robust GUI builder for
Tkinter is probably Vim .

please do not recommend Komodo...

I am aware of wxPython, GTK, QT and several others but Tkinter strikes
me as perfect... I am not at all worried about the looks of it just the
idea of one gui on all platforms strikes me as nice!

if at this point you're a veteran at Tkinter Gui design and you know
for a fact no Tkinter Gui builder exist now and no plans on making one
exist and you know everthing about Tkinter, please advise. Ok, even if
you don't know everything do you have a suggestion?

My main concern is one Gui builder for an interface for all platforms,
no special editing per platform. Just one edit and its game over, hello
world. Is this too much to ask for?

Thank you for your time!

Fuzzyman

vbgunz said:
Hello world,

I tried looking everywhere for a decent Tkinter GUI builder and the
closest I got to finding one before being horrified from looking at the
source was vtcl @ http://vtcl.sourceforge.net. The next closest thing
was page @ http://page.sourceforge.net/

Page just didn't cut it for me and I got several errors from it whereas
vtcl was almost a dream come true. it was not only perfect but I had a
full fledged gui design up and running at the click of a file in less
than ten minutes with so many widgets neatly placed...

When I looked at the source, it was in Tcl... It was huge at about 477
lines for a nice and complete interface... problem is I don't know Tcl
from chinese... I assume it is Tcl because the extension on the
generated file was Tcl... Man, what a let down...

Try Rapyd-Tk. It's new, which is why it isn't featured on the pages you
looked at. (I'm not the author, but it looks interesting.)

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rapyd/

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/shareware.shtml

vbgunz

Thank you very much for the link and info. It looks promising but I am
still on the lookout for a drag-n-drop Gui builder like vltc so if
anyone has more links to new projects I am definitely interested!

PS. I do love the code generated from rapyd!

Bob Greschke

vbgunz said:
Thank you very much for the link and info. It looks promising but I am
still on the lookout for a drag-n-drop Gui builder like vltc so if
anyone has more links to new projects I am definitely interested!

PS. I do love the code generated from rapyd!

What are you building? I routinely do things like these by hand

www.greschke.com/unlinked/images/changeo.jpg
www.greschke.com/unlinked/images/pocus.jpg
www.greschke.com/unlinked/images/pis.jpg
www.greschke.com/unlinked/images/petm.jpg

and I can't imagine using a builder for anything 'simpler'. If you are just
starting out I'd go the long-hand route first until you really have a good
grasp of Tkinter, then go the easier route. Once you find your own "style"
it becomes easier to just do it rather than try to get some other program
to do it for you.

I tried rapyd today, too. Started it, drug a button to the frame, but then
couldn't figure out how to set the text of the button. Deleted it. :)

Bob

Cam

What are you building? I routinely do things like these by hand

www.greschke.com/unlinked/images/changeo.jpg
www.greschke.com/unlinked/images/pocus.jpg
www.greschke.com/unlinked/images/pis.jpg
www.greschke.com/unlinked/images/petm.jpg

and I can't imagine using a builder for anything 'simpler'. If you are just
starting out I'd go the long-hand route first until you really have a good
grasp of Tkinter, then go the easier route. Once you find your own "style"
it becomes easier to just do it rather than try to get some other program
to do it for you.

I tried rapyd today, too. Started it, drug a button to the frame, but then
couldn't figure out how to set the text of the button. Deleted it. :)

Bob

While it's possible to do things like this by hand I find it's royal
pain when it comes time to make revisions or move things around. What I
like about Rapyd-TK (warning warning, I wrote Rapyd-Tk, put bias
detector on high) is that you can, after the fact, move widgets and
frames around and all the gory code to generate them is automatically
regenerated. As for the code to actually make the application go, well,
if there is some automatic way to make that happen it hasn't dawned on
me yet.

Lots of hits on the Rapyd-Tk web site as a result of this thread :)

vbgunz

What are you building? I routinely do things like these by hand
and I can't imagine using a builder for anything 'simpler'.

the reason I do not wish to go the hand-route is because I am
personally very bad at math *but* am very attentive to aesthetic
organization. I am somewhat more of an artist than I am an architect. I
do wish to choose an editor for my designs :)
I tried rapyd today, too. Started it, drug a button to the frame, but
then couldn't figure out how to set the text of the button. Deleted it. :)

next time don't drug it. take the button to at least one dinner and
then drug it, then drag it to the frame and you'll find the text option
in the left pane under options :)

vbgunz

As for the code to actually make the application go, well,
if there is some automatic way to make that happen it hasn't dawned on
me yet.

why not execute 'python -u /pathto/module.py' I could be wrong but hope
I am not :)

Cam

Ah, what I was referring to (somewhat in jest) was something to
automatically *write* the code needed by the application. Simply
executing it is easy enough and in fact Rapyd-Tk already does this via
the save-build-run project-menu choice.

vbgunz

Ah, what I was referring to (somewhat in jest) was something to
automatically *write* the code needed by the application. Simply
executing it is easy enough and in fact Rapyd-Tk already does this via
the save-build-run project-menu choice.

sorry I misunderstood you.