Dopostback Paging Question

jm

In my form, datagrid, etc., I have it so when the user enters certain
criteria and click the button, the appropriate records return. If the
user enters no criteria, all the records return (in a give date
range). Now, if the user enters a criterion and the records return
AND there is more than one page, when the user hits the next page
number, the dopostback runs and the page calls back ALL the records
again (within that same date range). In other words, it does not go
to the next page of the initial result set retrieved, it goes an does
a wholely different query.

I hope this makes sense.