DOS Follies (Was: Docstrings...)

Discussion in 'Python' started by D'Arcy J.M. Cain, Mar 3, 2010.

  1. On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:44:08 +0100
    mk <> wrote:
    > It reminds me of why Windows uses backslashes for path separation
    > instead of slashes: what I've *heard*, and do not know if it's true,
    > it's because Gates fancied using / for options switch instead of -, and
    > to hell with established practice.

    That was because CP/M used slashes for options and DOS copied that. By
    the time hierarchy was added it was too late to change.

    --
    D'Arcy J.M. Cain <> | Democracy is three wolves

    D'Arcy J.M. Cain, Mar 3, 2010

  2. In article <>,
    D'Arcy J.M. Cain <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:44:08 +0100
    >mk <> wrote:
    >> It reminds me of why Windows uses backslashes for path separation
    >> instead of slashes: what I've *heard*, and do not know if it's true,
    >> it's because Gates fancied using / for options switch instead of -, and
    >> to hell with established practice.

    >That was because CP/M used slashes for options and DOS copied that. By
    >the time hierarchy was added it was too late to change.

    And CP/M got it from the various PDP-11 operating systems. I *think*
    that Tops-10 had it as well. In fact, I think using / to delimit
    commandline options goes back to the PDP-8.

    --
    -Ed Falk,
    http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

    Edward A. Falk, Mar 4, 2010