DOS Unmanaged C++ and Launching Another App

tempnode

I have a problem that I can't seem to solve:

I need to write an unmanaged C++ app that will run off of a floppy.
Basically, I will boot into DOS (from a floppy), and run my executable
from the floppy. The executable will crunch some data and then launch
another application.

How can I launch the other application?

I've tried system(), but it needs a specific path, which isn't viable
in DOS mode. The two apps will be in the same directory, so basically
this is the process:

CrunchData();
LaunchApp();

How could I launch the other app? I can't use Process since this will
be unmanaged code for DOS, either =(

Thanks so much.

Erik Wikström

I have a problem that I can't seem to solve:

I need to write an unmanaged C++ app that will run off of a floppy.
Basically, I will boot into DOS (from a floppy), and run my executable
from the floppy. The executable will crunch some data and then launch
another application.

How can I launch the other application?

I've tried system(), but it needs a specific path, which isn't viable
in DOS mode. The two apps will be in the same directory, so basically
this is the process:

CrunchData();
LaunchApp();

How could I launch the other app? I can't use Process since this will
be unmanaged code for DOS, either =(

Have you tried simply system("app.exe")? And are you sure that the other
application can run under DOS?

BTW: Unmanaged C++ is the only C++ there is, managed C++ or C++/CLR as
it is now known is a different language.

Ole Nielsby

I have a problem that I can't seem to solve:
I need to write an unmanaged C++ app that will run off of a floppy.
Basically, I will boot into DOS (from a floppy), and run my executable
from the floppy. The executable will crunch some data and then launch
another application.

How can I launch the other application?

You should probably ask in a DOS related ng, this isn't really a
C++ thing.

Anyway, the easiest way might be to use a .bat file that executes the
programs in turn.

(You will have to compile your app with an antique 16 bit compiler
if your exe is to run on bare dos. With modern C++ compilers,
"unmanaged code" is still 32 bits or more and needs some kind
of extender to run on DOS. But go to the DOS forums for details.)