Dot net frame work 1.1 applications in 64 bit windows 2008 server

hari krishna

Our applications of ASP dot net are build in 1.1 dot net frame work, working
in 32 bit 2003 server. We are going to migrate from 32 bit windows 2003 to
64 bit widows 2008 server.

I have read in internet (
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241064.aspx ) that,
"All applications built with the 1.0 and 1.1 releases of the .NET Framework
are treated as 32-bit applications and are always executed under WOW64 on the
32-bit common language runtime (CLR) on a 64-bit operating system".
"Due to the design of x86 emulation and the WOW64 subsystem for the Itanium
processor family, applications are restricted to execution on one processor.
Single processor execution and x86 emulation reduce the performance and
scalability of 32-bit .NET Framework applications running on Itanium-based
systems. It is recommended that applications using the .NET Framework Version
1.1 be used for interactive, client applications, and not for applications
that demand high performance or scalability, such as high-load ASP.NET
applications. Consider using the .NET Framework Version 2.0, which includes
native 64-bit support for Itanium-based systems, for increased performance
and scalability.".

We have a third party exe which requires more processor usage (CPU) to run.
So in this case, do we need to buy a 64 bit 2008 server having different
processor (which is not having Itanium processor). Could any body tell what
are the processors that a 64 bit 2008 server has, and which one to choose
from to order(purchase) ?

Thanks.
Rgds
Hari
from Singapore

Guest

[...]

Regardless of what answers you get on here, I would recommend to build
the test server with x64 Windows and test if your application will
work on it. In most cases asp.net 1. can work on .net 2. In addition,
IIS7 has x32 compatibility mode which can help to run old applications
properly on x64 bit system. You can also try it to see if this will
affect your third party exe

Mark Rae [MVP]

Our applications of ASP dot net are built in 1.1 dot net frame work

In addition to Alexey's reply, I would strongly urge you to upgrade to a
supported version of the .NET Framework. v1.1 fell out of mainstream support
over 18 months ago:
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecy...t=PN&alpha=.NET+Framework+1.1&Filter=FilterNO

Apart from support, you're missing out on loads of excellent features, e.g.
generics, MasterPages, GridViews, Web Deployment Pages, built-in AJAX, FTP
etc...

Mark Fitzpatrick

In addition to the other excellent advice, Itanium based systems are
extremely rare. They were a novel start when .Net 1.x was released, but are
extremely rarely seen now and even then, usually only in the highest end
servers.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick

Patrice

Hello,
We have a third party exe which requires more processor usage (CPU) to
run.
So in this case, do we need to buy a 64 bit 2008 server having different
processor (which is not having Itanium processor). Could any body tell
what
are the processors that a 64 bit 2008 server has, and which one to choose
from to order(purchase) ?

Also :

- MS will stop supporting Itanium :
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/2008-IA.aspx
- I'm not an expert but my understanding is that :
- if the software you are using is not specifically compiled to target a
64 bit processor then it will run in 32 bit mode
- also the main point about 64 bit is not to get a faster processor (it
is done by adding cores (and actually using them !)) but mainly to be able
to use more memory because of the increased address space.

So not sure but I would start first asking to the third party that provides
this EXE how it could be optimized as the improvment will depend also on the
application architecture...