    Oh here is an example of a .ws distributor website.
    http://www.ClaimYour.ws

    , Sep 27, 2005

  2. rf Guest

    wrote:

    Does the ever damned groups.google force you to use your email address as a
    handle these days?

    > I have a question. What do you all think of the .ws extension for
    > domains?

    It's a fine extension if you live in Western Somoa. Otherwise why would you
    use it?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 27, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > I have a question. What do you all think of the .ws extension for
    > domains? Do you know of a business that has one? Do you think it will
    > confuse customers? They appear to be nice because they are easy to
    > remember and unlike the .com's everything I can think of is available.
    > There are some great names available for a business idea I have that
    > are not available as .com. I just dont know if I should go with the
    > .ws or find a less brandable / rememberable .com. What are your
    > thoughts?

    I've already responded to your post on alt.domain-names.forsale, since
    I first saw your post there. Please don't multipost, and rather learn
    how to cross-post instead.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Sep 27, 2005
  4. Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, quothed:

    > I have a question. What do you all think of the .ws extension for
    > domains? Do you know of a business that has one? Do you think it will
    > confuse customers? They appear to be nice because they are easy to
    > remember and unlike the .com's everything I can think of is available.
    > There are some great names available for a business idea I have that
    > are not available as .com. I just dont know if I should go with the .ws
    > or find a less brandable / rememberable .com. What are your thoughts?
    >
    > Oh here is an example of a .ws distributor website.
    > http://www.ClaimYour.ws

    I think dot-com has an edge in familiarity, but after that the
    extensions are all fairly much equivalent.

    Somebody said you multiposted instead of crossposted. Would you order
    your french fries one fry at a time? :)

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 27, 2005
  5. Gnarlodious Guest

    Entity spoke thus:

    > I have a question. What do you all think of the .ws extension for
    > domains?

    My sister had an ISP in the US with a .sw extension and once I asked her
    what "WS" was for. Her answer was "Web Site". When I scoffed at that idea
    she looked thoughtful for a moment and replied "Work Station?".

    I do hear that .fm (Federation of Micronesia) is popular for music
    streamers, which at least has some logic to it.

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious, Sep 27, 2005
  6. Domestos Guest

    If you are advertising in printed press then i reckon it matters, net
    newbies will beleive it is a type before trying it...

    However if you are using online advertising then most people just click the
    link so it doesn't reall mater.

    IMO

    Domestos, Sep 27, 2005
  7. Domestos Guest

    ..com makes you look professional - always get a .com where you can !!!
    ..biz is the new up and coming domain
    ..co.uk is the most useless I have seen - and why does america not have a
    ..co.us ?
    ..org is usually reserved for universitys IMO
    ..net is up and coming
    ..xxx should be avoided (when it arrives)
    ..web - is there a .web?
    ..mil .gov and .nhs cannot be used by joe public ( i think)

    anything else makes you look cheap - if you look at things like that !

    Domestos, Sep 27, 2005
  8. Dylan Parry Guest

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Domestos scraped:

    > .com makes you look professional - always get a .com where you can !!!

    No, a good website with proper domain name makes you look professional.
    ..com is not the only one to do this.

    > .biz is the new up and coming domain

    I beg to differ! .biz makes you look cheap.

    > .co.uk is the most useless I have seen - and why does america not have a
    > .co.us ?

    Not quite. .co.uk is very useful for Britain-based companies. The reason
    that the US doesn't have .co.us is probably because they hijacked the
    global .com for that purpose.

    > .org is usually reserved for universitys IMO

    Wrong. The .edu domain is for educational institutions, whereas the .org
    domain is for any non-commercial organisation.

    > .net is up and coming

    It's been up and coming since the beginning then. It's also primarily
    for network providers, such as ISPs.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Sep 27, 2005
  9. Chris Hope Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:

    [snip]

    >> .co.uk is the most useless I have seen - and why does america not
    >> have a .co.us ?

    > Not quite. .co.uk is very useful for Britain-based companies. The
    > reason that the US doesn't have .co.us is probably because they
    > hijacked the global .com for that purpose.

    There is actaully a .us TLD but it doesn't get used very much because US
    companies seem to prefer to go with .com

    [snip]

    Chris Hope, Sep 27, 2005
  10. Stan McCann Guest

    Chris Hope <> wrote in

    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >>> .co.uk is the most useless I have seen - and why does america not
    >>> have a .co.us ?

    >> Not quite. .co.uk is very useful for Britain-based companies. The
    >> reason that the US doesn't have .co.us is probably because they
    >> hijacked the global .com for that purpose.

    > There is actaully a .us TLD but it doesn't get used very much
    > because US companies seem to prefer to go with .com

    I found it acceptable for a purely personal site (see sig). Some ISPs
    don't like it with email though; too much spam comes from .va where va
    stands for any 2 letter domain suffix. They filter on that basis.

    http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

    Stan McCann, Sep 28, 2005
  11. Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, quothed:
    >
    >> I have a question. What do you all think of the .ws extension for
    >> domains? Do you know of a business that has one? Do you think it will
    >> confuse customers? They appear to be nice because they are easy to
    >> remember and unlike the .com's everything I can think of is available.
    >> There are some great names available for a business idea I have that
    >> are not available as .com. I just dont know if I should go with the .ws
    >> or find a less brandable / rememberable .com. What are your thoughts?
    >>
    >> Oh here is an example of a .ws distributor website.
    >> http://www.ClaimYour.ws

    > I think dot-com has an edge in familiarity, but after that the
    > extensions are all fairly much equivalent.
    >
    > Somebody said you multiposted instead of crossposted. Would you order
    > your french fries one fry at a time? :)

    Does this have anything to do with the old expression "He's one fry
    short of a Happy Meal?" :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 28, 2005
  12. Gnarlodious wrote:
    > Entity spoke thus:
    >
    >> I have a question. What do you all think of the .ws extension for
    >> domains?

    > My sister had an ISP in the US with a .sw extension and once I asked her
    > what "WS" was for. Her answer was "Web Site". When I scoffed at that idea
    > she looked thoughtful for a moment and replied "Work Station?".

    What was her reaction when you told her what it really means?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 28, 2005
  13. Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

    > > Somebody said you multiposted instead of crossposted. Would you order
    > > your french fries one fry at a time? :)

    > Does this have anything to do with the old expression "He's one fry
    > short of a Happy Meal?" :)

    Some people don't actually know about cross-posting and/or the
    disadvantages of multiposting. And, of course, some people don't care.

    Multiposting, to me, has always seemed rather stupid. However, if one
    is unaware that crossposting is available, one could continue to abuse
    the possibilities of his post ad infinitum...

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 28, 2005
  14. rf Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Does this have anything to do with the old expression "He's one fry
    > short of a Happy Meal?" :)

    Speaking of meals...

    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/shark.jpg

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 28, 2005
  15. Els Guest

    Stan McCann wrote:

    > Chris Hope <> wrote in
    >
    >> Dylan Parry wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]

    >>> Not quite. .co.uk is very useful for Britain-based companies. The
    >>> reason that the US doesn't have .co.us is probably because they
    >>> hijacked the global .com for that purpose.

    >> There is actaully a .us TLD but it doesn't get used very much
    >> because US companies seem to prefer to go with .com

    > I found it acceptable for a purely personal site (see sig). Some ISPs
    > don't like it with email though; too much spam comes from .va where va
    > stands for any 2 letter domain suffix. They filter on that basis.

    I've never had any problems sending mail with my .nl domain. Can you
    name one ISP anywhere in the world that would filter my mail so the
    recipient doesn't receive it?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Sep 28, 2005
  16. rf Guest

    Stan McCann wrote:

    > I found it acceptable for a purely personal site (see sig). Some ISPs
    > don't like it with email though; too much spam comes from .va where va
    > stands for any 2 letter domain suffix. They filter on that basis.

    I really don't think so. 96% of the people in the world live outside the U S
    of A and a large proportion of them include their country suffix in their
    email address.

    Please provide a [reliable] source for this assertion.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 28, 2005
  17. Blinky the Shark, Sep 28, 2005
  18. Greg N. Guest

    Stan McCann wrote:

    > Some ISPs don't like it with email though;
    > too much spam comes from .va where va
    > stands for any 2 letter domain suffix. They filter on that basis.

    You mean they filter merely on the basis that the domain suffix is less
    than 3 letters? Anything that isn't com, net, and org is considered
    spam? Anything from Canada, France, Japan, Germany is spam?

    *ALL* (or almost all?) countries of the world use two letter domain
    suffixes.

    I have a hard time believing anybody can be so stupid.

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

    Greg N., Sep 28, 2005
  19. Rincewind Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:17:40 +0200, Greg N. wrote:

    > I have a hard time believing anybody can be so stupid.

    You can't have been reading many newsgroups then :))

    Rincewind, Sep 28, 2005
  20. Els Guest

    Rincewind wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:17:40 +0200, Greg N. wrote:
    >
    >> I have a hard time believing anybody can be so stupid.

    > You can't have been reading many newsgroups then :))

    LOL!

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -