DOT WS Domains?

Els

Stan said:
Dylan Parry wrote:

[snip]

.co.uk is the most useless I have seen - and why does america
not have a .co.us ?

Not quite. .co.uk is very useful for Britain-based companies. The
reason that the US doesn't have .co.us is probably because they
hijacked the global .com for that purpose.

There is actaully a .us TLD but it doesn't get used very much
because US companies seem to prefer to go with .com

I found it acceptable for a purely personal site (see sig). Some
ISPs don't like it with email though; too much spam comes from .va
where va stands for any 2 letter domain suffix. They filter on
that basis.

I've never had any problems sending mail with my .nl domain. Can you
name one ISP anywhere in the world that would filter my mail so the
recipient doesn't receive it?

My ISP, zianet.com. Not completely blocked based on the two letter
suffix but it does add points.

Not as bad as filtering it out altogether, but it still sucks imo.
Thankfully they just added a whitelist
because I was unable to get mail from one person that I know (not 2
letter suffix related).

I'm glad my ISP doesn't do stuff like that for me. (They do when
asked, but I won't ask.)

Stan McCann

Stan said:
Dylan Parry wrote:

[...]

suffix but it does add points. Thankfully they just added a whitelist

Stan said:
I found it acceptable for a purely personal site (see sig). Some
ISPs don't like it with email though; too much spam comes from .va
where va stands for any 2 letter domain suffix. They filter on
that basis.

I really don't think so. 96% of the people in the world live outside
the U S of A and a large proportion of them include their country
suffix in their email address.

Please provide a [reliable] source for this assertion.

I will look through my old mail to see if I still have the one that
bounced that listed that as cause for some additional points on the
spam filter. That's the best I can do. I'm speaking from personal
experience. The two letter suffix is not a reason to block by itself,
but in conjuction with other things, the mail can be blocked because
the two letter suffix does add points towards blocking.

You want to write to someone at zianet.com and ask? That is my ISP
that I've seen this happen on.

Stan McCann

You mean they filter merely on the basis that the domain suffix is
less than 3 letters? Anything that isn't com, net, and org is
considered spam? Anything from Canada, France, Japan, Germany is
spam?

*ALL* (or almost all?) countries of the world use two letter domain
suffixes.

I have a hard time believing anybody can be so stupid.

I tend to do this at times; not give the complete story. I apologize;
you are not the only one that questioned this.

They do not filter on that alone, but it does add points with my ISP;
I've seen it. I'm going to try to find the message that I had to
retrieve from my spam folder on my ISPs server to post the relevant
portion.

I think you are right about all countries using the two letter suffix.

Stan McCann

I'm glad my ISP doesn't do stuff like that for me. (They do when
asked, but I won't ask.)

The filtering is voluntary and has three levels of checking. I have
set mine to the highest level. Until I found the email that showed
that the two letter suffix was being used as an indicator, I had no
problems that I was aware of. The particular email is one that a
friend called and asked if I had gotten it, thus the digging through
the spam folder. Things are not deleted immediately, only put into a
spam folder that can then be looked through on line. I very rarely
check it, although at first, I checked it regularly to see that things
I wanted/needed weren't filtered.

I'm looking to see if I can find the message that indicated that was a
criterion.