Dotnet dev on Win XP Pro

Peter Parker

Hi All,

I'm going to be doing some .net development work on Windows XP Pro for the
first time, having done all my work so far on Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
Are there any restrictions on .net stuff on XP Pro that I should know about?

I ask for two reasons: a couple of years ago I was doing asp 3.0 work on a
Windows 2000 Professional machine, and wasted an unbelievable amount of time
trying to get a script to work (I think it was something to do with CDONTS).
In the end I found out you *couldn't* get that script to work on W2K Pro -
you needed Advanced Server. I'd rather be forewarned of any similar issues
this time!

The second reason is that my Enterprise version of Sql Server 2000 won't
install on Windows XP Pro. Does anyone know what versions of Sql Server
2000 will?

TIA,

PP

Ian

Hi,

VS.NET will work without a problem. The only limitations are those inherent
in IIS 5.1 (concurrent connections are limited to 10, you can only host one
site (many apps, just one site)) and the fact that some server software
won't install on XP Pro. If you need Biztalk et al then you'll need to use
an OS that they'll install onto. Equally, if you need to use an OS
component that is not available on XP Pro then you'll have a problem. For
most people, XP Pro is fine.

Regarding SQL, you should find that personal, desktop or developer will
install on XP Pro:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/sysreqs/2000/default.asp

HTH

Ian