dotNet - Newbie Queries: Which Version to use?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Rae, Feb 14, 2007.

  1. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Eric Layman" <namyalcire[at no spam]gmail.com> wrote in message

    > I understand that .NET has few frameworks:
    >
    > 1.1
    > 2.0
    > 3.0
    >
    > Which one should we use for our web application?

    2.0

    v3.0 is very badly named - it's not a new version of the Framework, but
    rather the addition of four core pieces of technology...

    > Also, we have a few developers in the house, one is more familair in C#,
    > another is proficient in VB,
    >
    > can these 2 lang co-exists in one asp.net web application?

    Yes, but not easily - this has been discussed to length:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...LG:2006-28,GGLG:en&q=C# VB.Net "same project"
    Mark Rae, Feb 14, 2007

  2. Mark Rae

    > In a ASP.net Application, how does Microsoft Content Management Server
    > comes into the picture?

    I'm not sure what you're asking here...

    As an aside, CMS is pretty much defunct now anyway:
    http://www.microsoft.com/cmserver/default.mspx
    Mark Rae, Feb 14, 2007

  3. dont forget that .NET 3.5 in on the way :)

    just to mix things a little bit ;-)

    --

    Bruno Alexandre
    Stroby, Danmark

    "a Portuguese in Denmark"

    Eric Layman, Feb 15, 2007
  5. Mark Rae

    Eric Layman Guest

    Hi Mark,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Eric Layman, Feb 15, 2007
  6. On Feb 15, 7:11 am, "Eric Layman" <namyalcire[at no spam]gmail.com>
    wrote:
    [snip]
    To make a long story VERY short!
    Use ASP.NET 2.0
    Use C#
    !!

    ..t

    --
    http://ajaxwidgets.com
    Free ASP.NET Ajax Widgets NOW!
    Thomas Hansen, Feb 15, 2007
  7. Mark Rae

    sloan Guest

    Eric,

    I would recommend C# 2.0.

    3.0 is an "add on" to 2.0, thus you can always update to it.

    If you go C# first, you'll avoid some issues where vb.net has left things in
    a way to help out those coming up from vb6.
    I look at it, as "they enable you to bring your bad vb6 habits with you".

    I was a vb6 coder, with some bad habits too. So I"m talking to myself here.

    http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/blog/

    Being proficient at VB6 is NOT a reason to go with vb.net.

    sloan, Feb 15, 2007