dotnet time out? aspnet links working intermittenly after DNS failure

TurboT

We had a an intermittent problem with the aspnet links on our external
website. It seemed to be related to the following, but I was wondering if
there is some timeout, or caching parameter which could cause these
symptoms. Let me explain:

1. For a short time our DNS was unavailable to the external webserver and
some links on the external site where not working.. .dependant on the html
code. Once fixed all other aspects of the website where fine except our
aspnet links. They where intermittently working or not at all.

2. We found that we were able to fix the website by rebuilding the .dll for
the website in the 'bin' directory. At the same time, we also replaced the
web.config file. We are thinking what fixed the website was most likely
replacing and compiling the .dll??

All I can think of is the equivalent to a "negative query" that once a page
cannot be brought up (due to a name resolution problem) it remembers and
caches for a period of time?

Thanks for any assistance.

Turbot