    etc.

    Where would be a good place to start without losing my mind? I want to be
    able to develop robust java web apps...
    Mitch, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Mitch

    Chris Smith Guest

    Mitch wrote:
    > My problem lies more with the dizzying array of IDEs, frameworks (STRUTS?),
    > and web servers that are out there. Not to mention servlets, java beans etc
    > etc.
    >
    > Where would be a good place to start without losing my mind? I want to be
    > able to develop robust java web apps...

    As far as IDEs go, it's not necessary to "learn" a bunch of IDEs. Find
    one you are okay with, and use it. Eclipse is fairly popular these days
    if you want free. IntelliJ IDEA seems to be the commercial option of
    choice. There are, as always, fairly good followings of the big-vendor
    options as well (for instance, Borland's JBuilder, and Sun's
    WhateverWeAreCallingItToday).

    Java web applications require servlets, so become familiar with those.
    JSP is then a good default choice, and is by far the most commonly used
    presentation layer on top of servlets (despite very vocal criticisms by
    the dissenting party). Struts, if you are interested in it, pretty much
    assumes that you're using JSP as your presentation layer. Within the
    next two years there is going to be a reckoning between Struts and JSF
    for market domination on Java web app frameworks; I can't predict which
    will be the way to go, but Struts certainly has the market penetration
    for now.

    Once you've got that far, hopefully you'll have an idea where you want
    to go next.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Mitch

    David Segall Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote:

    >Hey folks,
    >
    >I am a long time user of MS tools. Started with VB 5 many years ago and
    >transitioned to C# and DotNet as soon as MS released IT. Now I need to
    >learn java and have no idea where to start. I should be more clear. I have
    >familiarized myself with java syntax , which was not a huge jump from C#,
    >and have played with standard java framework packages (I/O etc).
    >
    >My problem lies more with the dizzying array of IDEs, frameworks (STRUTS?),
    >and web servers that are out there. Not to mention servlets, java beans etc
    >etc.
    >
    >Where would be a good place to start without losing my mind? I want to be
    >able to develop robust java web apps...

    If you want to reproduce the comfort of a single vendor then IBM is
    the best choice. Click on "Sign-up for the new PowerPack" at
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/subscription/lit/sampledisc.html)
    and receive a trial subscription to all the software you may need. If
    price is a consideration, then the free NetBeans (www.netbeans.org)
    IDE is probably the way to go. It comes with, or has plug-ins for,
    most of the other programs you list.

    I can't guarantee that you won't lose your mind though. Having come to
    Java directly from VB6 I am not confidant that I am still sane.
    David Segall, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Mitch

    Mike Mayer Guest

    I feel your pain as well... I'm much more fluent in C# right now than Java.
    (Although I was doing J2ME awhile back.)

    I've been using IBM WebSphere (paid for by work) as my IDE - pretty nice.
    It's built on Eclipse.

    I'm using Struts, which as you may know is a framework that uses servlets
    and jsp's.

    What I'm finding most confusing is all the tag libraies that are used on
    jsp.

    I like how clean .NET is right now (although give it 5-10 years to reach
    Java's maturity, and I bet it will have just as many layers of things).

    Well, enough rambling. Here are some links on things that I feel are
    important.

    First, you have to know what a servlet is cause everything else seems to be
    built on top of that:
    http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/
    http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/articles/tutorial/index.html

    Next is Java Server Pages, which are "asp-like" pages that compile
    down to servlets (from my best understanding)
    These are pretty simple to understand in and of themselves (at least they
    were for me).
    Take a quick look at the 2nd link here comparing asp to jsp.
    http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/
    http://www.daysite.net/programming/jsp.htm

    Then you get to all the tag libraies written for jsp.
    There's JSTL: (JSP Standard Tag Library)
    http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/reference/docs/index.html
    And a few here:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/standard-doc/intro.html

    (but what I find missing are ones to do things like our asp.net repeater,
    datalist, and datagrid, etc)

    Finally, you put struts on top / in the middle of all of that.
    http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/
    See especially some of the FAQs and guides here:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/faqs/index.html

    Well, that's about all I know... Good luck.
    Feel free to e-mail me if you find a book something like: "Java for .NET
    Programmers"

    -mike

    Mike Mayer, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Mitch

    Dave Monroe Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message news:<4076ec32$>...
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > I am a long time user of MS tools. Started with VB 5 many years ago and
    > transitioned to C# and DotNet as soon as MS released IT. Now I need to
    > learn java and have no idea where to start. I should be more clear. I have
    > familiarized myself with java syntax , which was not a huge jump from C#,
    > and have played with standard java framework packages (I/O etc).
    >
    > My problem lies more with the dizzying array of IDEs, frameworks (STRUTS?),
    > and web servers that are out there. Not to mention servlets, java beans etc
    > etc.
    >
    > Where would be a good place to start without losing my mind? I want to be
    > able to develop robust java web apps...

    If you're familiar with C#, you probably already have a feel for how
    Java works. There's a very helpful book from Microsoft Press called
    'C# for Java Developers'.

    If you're trying to integrate .NET and Java, have a look at SOAP.
    It's a platform neutral spec. Check out http://www.apache.org - on
    the left nav bar there's a link for XML.

    Good luck.

    Dave Monroe
    Dave Monroe, Apr 13, 2004