Dotnet under Apple Safari browser

Edward

Hi All,

I am having huge problems with a very simple dotnet framework web page
(www.gbab.net/ztest3.aspx) , it does NOT render correctly under Apple's
Safari. The DIV's do not align amd float as they should, and do in Dotnet.
The page is really, really simple, and it has a CSS and with NO masterpage.

I have tried using the following as recommendations made earlier in this
Newsgroup:-

1) Adding the following code to the page's Page_PreInit method:
if (Request.Browser.Browser.Contains("Safari")){
this.ClientTarget = "uplevel";
}

2) incorporating a Browsercap section in the web.config as per:
http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/

3) Ensuring the page is validated as XHTML-compliant standard TML (used
http://validator.w3.org/)

BUT I STILL GET THE PROBLEM!

Safari does not handle CSS and DIV's properly! What bugs me, is that there
are some pretty sophisticated Dotnet sites out there that work beautifully
under Safari! And I left wondering what it is that I am doing wrong!

Please help!

Thank you

Edward

Mark Rae

Safari does not handle CSS and DIV's properly! What bugs me, is that there
are some pretty sophisticated Dotnet sites out there that work beautifully
under Safari! And I left wondering what it is that I am doing wrong!

I already told you that your site displays EXACTLY THE SAME on Safari,
FireFox, Netscape and Opera on my Mac so, whatever you're doing, it's not
specifically a Safari issue...

Incidentally, it also displays exactly the same on Mozilla, Camino and
SeaMonkey...

Edward

I already told you that your site displays EXACTLY THE SAME on Safari
how can you say it displays the same when it does not! I see differences
between the Safari browsers I have tested it and the IE's, where it displays
correctly?

John Timney \(MVP\)

What Marks telling you is that he sees it without problems on many different
browsers, which means it may be localised to your machines and browsers.
I'm suprised he tested so comprehensively for you, so simply disagreeing
with his findings certainly wont get you a solution - go and test on a
different mac environment as Marks findings tell me your problem is not
being reproduced in every browser. You may see similar findings!

If you dont have one there are some online testing services if you look
about or build a virtual mac and test through that.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
http://www.johntimney.com

Edward

and what I am saying is that I have tested that web page on on 8 different
Macs from ranging notebooks to the latest desktops. The Macs are running
different versions of Apple OS and Safaris, and I have not seen ONE that
displays the page correctly! I have friends out there on the Internet who
use the Mac at home and on every instance the formatting of the page in
question, under Safari, is not right!

However, when the browser is IE6 under Windows 2000, Windows 2003 or XP it
looks fine!

I can only conclude that the issue is with Safari!

Mark Rae

and what I am saying is that I have tested that web page on on 8 different
Macs from ranging notebooks to the latest desktops. The Macs are running
different versions of Apple OS and Safaris, and I have not seen ONE that
displays the page correctly! I have friends out there on the Internet who
use the Mac at home and on every instance the formatting of the page in
question, under Safari, is not right!

What do you want me to do - send you screenshots of your page running under
the various Mac browsers...?
However, when the browser is IE6 under Windows 2000, Windows 2003 or XP it
looks fine!

ROTFLMAO! Oh Edward for heaven's sake! This isn't your first day, is it?

EVERYONE knows that Microsoft Internet Explorer is way out on its own in
terms of incompatibility. If you honestly think that you can use IE as your
yardstick, I strongly suggest you buy a beginner's guide to web development.
I can only conclude that the issue is with Safari!

In which case, I can only conclude that you didn't read my various replies
stating that your page displays EXACTLY THE SAME (I'll repeat that for you)
EXACTLY THE SAME on Safari, FireFox, Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, Camino and
SeaMonkey on my Mac.

If you really can't get your head round the fact that your problem ISN'T
Safari-specific, then I would doubt very much whether anyone here will be
able to help you...

Edward

Hi John,

I DO appreciate Mark's help immensely. I am not disagreeing with his
findings, but his conclusion that Safari is displays the page corrently! My
findings are also to be taken into consideration, and so far I have not seen
my wep page looking corrently under any of the 8 different Safari's/Mac
environments!

Edward

What do you want me to do - send you screenshots of your page running
under the various Mac browsers...?
yes! I would love to see my page looking correctly under Safari! Can I ask
you if you could please send me a screen print of it?

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
yes! I would love to see my page looking correctly under Safari! Can I ask
you if you could please send me a screen print of it?

Where did you read that your page is working correctly under Safari?
Mark only said it "displays EXACTLY THE SAME on Safari,
FireFox, Netscape and Opera" on his mac. He didn't say it was "correctly
displayed".

I think you're both talking about different things ;-)

You probably made errors writing your page. IE is known for allowing
(and forgiving) non-standard coding, CSS or script. It's always best to
code for a standard compliant browser like Mozilla, and then to check
the page on IE.

HTH,
Laurent

Edward

You probably made errors writing your page. IE is known for allowing (and
forgiving) non-standard coding, CSS or script. It's always best to code
for a standard compliant browser like Mozilla, and then to check the page
on IE.
I followed Mark's advice and tested it under http://validator.w3.org/, which
stated the page was compliant! That's when I though the issue was with
Safari!

Anyway, I accept what you say that IE is known for allowing (and forgiving)
non-standard coding, CSS or scripting terms of errors, whereas Safari,
FireFox, Netscape and Opera are not! I will get my hands on Mozilla test my
web page from now on.

thanks

Mark Rae

yes! I would love to see my page looking correctly under Safari! Can I ask
you if you could please send me a screen print of it?

http://www.markrae.com/Edward/Safari.tiff
http://www.markrae.com/Edward/FireFox.tiff
http://www.markrae.com/Edward/Netscape.tiff
http://www.markrae.com/Edward/Opera.tiff

As Laurent points out, I have no idea if these pages display "correctly" or
not - but they do all display EXACTLY THE SAME on the four Mac browsers (and
others) as shown above...

Therefore, whatever you may think, your problem is not Safari-specific,
however much you'd like it to be...

Edward

you are absolutely right Mark!

I misunderstood the whole issue and I see now that the issue is related to
the fact Microsoft IE/Visual Studio allow too many formatting issues to get
though!

I really feel letdown by Microsoft for not providing an honest view of what
the page would look like in the real world!

I just have downloaded Mozilla and I will be testing my dotnet pages on
other NON IE browsers from now on!

Meanwhile, I thank you for your patience and time......

I am giong to roll up my sleeves and have to learn how to properly design
web pages.... especially given that I cannot rely on Microsoft to show me
the way! :)

thanks

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
you are absolutely right Mark!

I misunderstood the whole issue and I see now that the issue is related to
the fact Microsoft IE/Visual Studio allow too many formatting issues to get
though!

I really feel letdown by Microsoft for not providing an honest view of what
the page would look like in the real world!

I just have downloaded Mozilla and I will be testing my dotnet pages on
other NON IE browsers from now on!

Meanwhile, I thank you for your patience and time......

I am giong to roll up my sleeves and have to learn how to properly design
web pages.... especially given that I cannot rely on Microsoft to show me
the way! :)

thanks

FWIW, IE7 coming soon will be much, much stricter than IE6 ever was, and
much more standard compliant. Seems that they finally learned.

Greetings,
Laurent

Edward

Hi John,

I looked at your site which is very cool andsleek indeed!

I was wondering where in your dotnet code you place your meta tags. Are you
using masterpages?

thanks

Edward

John Timney \(MVP\)

Yes, but I must admit I have been very lazy and only have the meta tags in
the master, where I should be updating them page by page based on the
content.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
http://www.johntimney.com

Edward

thanks John, not that it makes much difference to the search engines, but I
looked at your web page's source and your meta tags are all with line
breaks, whereas mine are concatenated, why would that happen?

for example, these are my tags in the source:-
<title>
Go Beyond All Borders - Home
</title><meta name="keywords" content="pippo, pluto, paperino" /><meta
name="description" content="go beyond all borders akha people Caz Holmes"
/><meta name="keywords" content="go beyond, all, borders, akha, people, Caz,
Holmes" /><meta name="generator" content="microsoft dotnet v2" /><meta
http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" /><meta
name="robots" content="index,follow" /><meta name="author" content="Edward
Re" /><meta name="copyright" content="Edward Re" /><meta name="language"
content="en-au" /><meta name="classification" content="Family" /><meta
name="distribution" content="Global" /><style type="text/css">

whereas yours meta tags are like this:-
ASP.NET?" />
asp.net, sql, javascript, vbscript, database, date, .net, array, validation,
code, request.servervariables, server.mappath, xmlhttp, css buttons, sql
injection, datagrid paging, microsoft.xmlhttp, sql case, stored procedure,
adovbs.inc, asp date functions, asp.net interview questions, microsoft
interview questions, vbscript date" />