    I would like to introduce to the dot net technology.
    Give me some samples, please, and a comparation to Java-Applet technology.

    Thanks :)

    Eitan, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Hi Eitan,

    Short and simple answer:
    Alas, there is no .net equivalent to java applets.

    Happy Coding!
    Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

    Morten Wennevik, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Eitan

    Philipp Sumi Guest

    You can run WinForms user controls in IE. Of couse, this requires the
    ..NET framework on the client machine.

    http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030610.htm

    hth, Philipp

    ps: Please don't crosspost - one newsgroup is definitely enough...

    Philipp Sumi, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Eitan

    Eitan Guest

    "Morten Wennevik" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Eitan,
    >
    > Short and simple answer:
    > Alas, there is no .net equivalent to java applets.
    >
    > Happy Coding!
    > Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

    Thanks,
    Are you sure - What can I do instead ?
    That means there is no substitude instead.

    I want to see some of the documentation of Microsoft, that explains what's
    beyond the dotnet in general.

    Thanks again :)

    Eitan, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Well, you could write ActiveX controls, or follow the procedure Philipp
    mentioned.
    The former is considered unsafe, the latter requires that the client user
    has a windows version running Internet Explorer 6+ with .net framework
    installed. Then again, if the user is running Internet Explorer you can
    detect if he has framework installed and tailor the web page accordingly.

    Morten Wennevik, Nov 8, 2004
  6. Embedded .NET controls are fairly close.
    Regarding privileged Java applets (like RSA signed Java applets supported in Java 2 1.2+),
    the next release of .NET (longhorn) has "ClickOnce" deployment functionality which provides
    similar client convenience and permissions-enabling.

    Cheers,
    - Mitch Gallant
    MVP Security
    www.jensign.com

    Michel Gallant, Nov 8, 2004
  7. Eitan

    Eitan Guest

    What I am searching right now is not the security abilities,
    but functionalities and components as JBuilder has (mostly).
    I am looking for IDE enviroment, that I can make classes, and simply put it
    on an HTML form.

    Thank :)

    I didn't see the development on dotnet, and I would be glade, if I can
    develop a class (or something like Java Applets, or flash pro - but flash
    pro

    Eitan, Nov 8, 2004
  8. I don't know why Morten said there is no equivalent. The equivalent is a
    ..net UserControl. Here is an example using vector graphics; it runs with the
    default permissions, no installation is required.
    http://weblogs.asp.net/frank_hileman/archive/2004/07/23/192509.aspx

    Regards,
    Frank Hileman

    check out VG.net: www.vgdotnet.com
    Animated vector graphics system
    Integrated Visual Studio .NET graphics editor

    Frank Hileman, Nov 8, 2004
  9. Please do not crosspost between .NET and non-.NET groups. The *.vb.* groups
    are for VB6 and earlier.

    Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB], Nov 8, 2004
  10. If you read the rules of these forums, there is no prohibition against
    cross-posting. It is quite often necessary to post to multiple forums to get
    a reply.

    =?Utf-8?B?bXNjZXJ0aWZpZWQ=?=, Nov 8, 2004
  11. Eitan

    Jim Deutch Guest

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:01:18 -0800, "=?Utf-8?B?bXNjZXJ0aWZpZWQ=?="
    <> wrote:

    >If you read the rules of these forums, there is no prohibition against
    >cross-posting. It is quite often necessary to post to multiple forums to get
    >a reply.

    Nonsense! If you post to multiple groups and get replies in more than
    one, then you've posted to too many groups. If you post to multiple
    groups and get a reply only in one, then THAT's the one (and only one)
    you should have posted to in the first place.

    See? It's easy once you think about it.

    Jim Deutch

    Jim Deutch, Nov 8, 2004
  12. Eitan

    ShaneB Guest

    Although it's not in the forum rules, it is still a courtesy to others.
    Many people read several of these groups a day in order to increase their
    knowledge and help others. I'm sure that they (like me) would prefer not
    having to sift through duplicate or off-topic posts. If someone does not
    get an answer from a particular group in a reasonable amount of time, then
    I'm all for them trying another one....but I don't think the first choice
    should be cross-posting. In this particular case, the original poster's
    question was probably most suited for the dotnet.general forum.

    As a final thought: If everyone cross-posted, we would only need one
    newsgroup.

    (and yes, this is an intentional cross-post since the thread started that
    way. Ironic?)

    just my .02c USD :)
    ShaneB

    ShaneB, Nov 8, 2004
  13. Eitan

    Hal Rosser Guest

    > Hello,
    >
    > I know Java-Applet (written for JBuilder).
    > I would like to know about dotnet technology,
    > pros and cons in comparation to Java-Applet technololgy.
    > Can I write a program in dotnet, like Java-Applet, compile it, debug it,

    and
    > put it as a class on an HTML (like Java-Applet).
    >
    > I would like to introduce to the dot net technology.
    > Give me some samples, please, and a comparation to Java-Applet technology.

    as much as I like Java - I have to admit - Applets are on the way out, but
    in favor of Flash (not dot-net)

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Nov 9, 2004
  14. Eitan

    Monte Hansen Guest

    This a touchy area and still up for grabs. Code execution inside the browser
    other than core javascript is risky (to both your code investment and the IS
    Desktop Manager that wishes to restrict such things).

    Also, I don't think .net has been accepted on the client yet, so it's really
    hard to say. Does it have to be in a browser? If not, have you seen SWT?

    +|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+
    Monte Hansen - MVP VB
    http://KillerVB.com
    +|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+

    Monte Hansen, Nov 9, 2004
  15. Frank,

    I said there was no equivalent because all the solutions for .net is limited
    Internet Explorer only and systems with .net framework installed, which
    limits the target audience even further.

    This is ok if you are on an intranet or can otherwise be certain that the
    customer is using a certain system, but I do not consider it equivalent of
    java applets.

    Then again, the first java applets had the same limitations, so in a way
    you could argue that this is equivalent.

    Happy Coding!
    Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

    Morten Wennevik, Nov 9, 2004
  16. Eitan

    Daniel James Guest

    In article news:<drVjd.44652$>, Hal
    Rosser wrote:
    > Applets are on the way out, but in favor of Flash

    I do hope not! Flash is a nice little technology is you want to
    display little on a website -- I can see whey Disney use it -- but
    is not the best technology (or even a good technology) for much
    else. It certainly can't offer all the functionality of applets, or
    offer it as concisely or as securely.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

    Daniel James, Nov 9, 2004
  17. Eitan

    Eitan Guest

    "Frank Hileman" <> wrote in message
    > I don't know why Morten said there is no equivalent. The equivalent is a
    > .net UserControl. Here is an example using vector graphics; it runs with

    the
    > default permissions, no installation is required.
    > http://weblogs.asp.net/frank_hileman/archive/2004/07/23/192509.aspx
    >
    > Regards,
    > Frank Hileman

    Good.
    It seems as a simple flash, so I can stand on the abilities of dotnet
    UserControl
    (Flash, even Flash Pro, is a toy in comparation to Java-Applets).
    Maybe you can lead me to site, where I can find many links to dotnet
    samples, please.
    Where can I find detailed explanations on dotnet userControls ?

    Thanks :)

    Eitan, Nov 9, 2004
  18. Eitan

    Eitan Guest

    Sorry for my English,
    but I would like to understand what you mean when you say :
    Applets are on the way out, but in favor of Flash.

    Is dotnet technology very simple like Flash.
    I want to write applications, and not little and beautifull desinging (like
    you said : Disney).

    So my major questions are :
    Is dotnet much like flash, or it much like Java-Applets ?
    If not - when dotnet be much like Java-Applets (as it is today) ? Long-Horn
    ?

    Thanks :)

    Eitan, Nov 9, 2004
  19. Eitan

    frank Guest

    If you use Flash, you are not using .NET. It is an old ActiveX control. If
    you use .NET, you have access to the entire .NET Framework, as well as
    thousands of libraries and components written for the CLR, and sophisticated
    development tools such as Visual Studio .NET. However, you will be
    restricted to the Windows platform.

    A .NET "applet" is much closer to a java applet than to flash. The power is
    much greater than flash.

    Frank

    frank, Nov 9, 2004
  20. Code execution of .NET MSIL is just as safe as javascript. Your statement is
    entirely false. The default permissions in Internet Explorer run .NET code
    in a restricted sandbox, just like javascript.

    Frank Hileman, Nov 9, 2004