Dotnet versus Java-Applets

Eitan

Hello,

I know Java-Applet (written for JBuilder).
I would like to know about dotnet technology,
pros and cons in comparation to Java-Applet technololgy.
Can I write a program in dotnet, like Java-Applet, compile it, debug it, and
put it as a class on an HTML (like Java-Applet).

I would like to introduce to the dot net technology.
Give me some samples, please, and a comparation to Java-Applet technology.

Thanks :)

Morten Wennevik

Hi Eitan,

Short and simple answer:
Alas, there is no .net equivalent to java applets.

Happy Coding!
Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

Eitan

Morten Wennevik said:
Hi Eitan,

Short and simple answer:
Alas, there is no .net equivalent to java applets.

Happy Coding!
Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

Thanks,
Are you sure - What can I do instead ?
That means there is no substitude instead.

I want to see some of the documentation of Microsoft, that explains what's
beyond the dotnet in general.

Thanks again :)

Morten Wennevik

Well, you could write ActiveX controls, or follow the procedure Philipp
mentioned.
The former is considered unsafe, the latter requires that the client user
has a windows version running Internet Explorer 6+ with .net framework
installed. Then again, if the user is running Internet Explorer you can
detect if he has framework installed and tailor the web page accordingly.

Happy Coding!
Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

Eitan said:
Morten Wennevik said:
Hi Eitan,

Short and simple answer:
Alas, there is no .net equivalent to java applets.

Happy Coding!
Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

Thanks,
Are you sure - What can I do instead ?
That means there is no substitude instead.

I want to see some of the documentation of Microsoft, that explains what's
beyond the dotnet in general.

Thanks again :)

Michel Gallant

Embedded .NET controls are fairly close.
Regarding privileged Java applets (like RSA signed Java applets supported in Java 2 1.2+),
the next release of .NET (longhorn) has "ClickOnce" deployment functionality which provides
similar client convenience and permissions-enabling.

Cheers,
- Mitch Gallant
MVP Security
www.jensign.com

Eitan

What I am searching right now is not the security abilities,
but functionalities and components as JBuilder has (mostly).
I am looking for IDE enviroment, that I can make classes, and simply put it
on an HTML form.

Thank :)

I didn't see the development on dotnet, and I would be glade, if I can
develop a class (or something like Java Applets, or flash pro - but flash
pro

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

Please do not crosspost between .NET and non-.NET groups. The *.vb.* groups
are for VB6 and earlier.

Guest

If you read the rules of these forums, there is no prohibition against
cross-posting. It is quite often necessary to post to multiple forums to get
a reply.

Jim Deutch

If you read the rules of these forums, there is no prohibition against
cross-posting. It is quite often necessary to post to multiple forums to get
a reply.

Nonsense! If you post to multiple groups and get replies in more than
one, then you've posted to too many groups. If you post to multiple
groups and get a reply only in one, then THAT's the one (and only one)
you should have posted to in the first place.

See? It's easy once you think about it.

Jim Deutch

ShaneB

Although it's not in the forum rules, it is still a courtesy to others.
Many people read several of these groups a day in order to increase their
knowledge and help others. I'm sure that they (like me) would prefer not
having to sift through duplicate or off-topic posts. If someone does not
get an answer from a particular group in a reasonable amount of time, then
I'm all for them trying another one....but I don't think the first choice
should be cross-posting. In this particular case, the original poster's
question was probably most suited for the dotnet.general forum.

As a final thought: If everyone cross-posted, we would only need one
newsgroup.

(and yes, this is an intentional cross-post since the thread started that
way. Ironic?)

just my .02c USD :)
ShaneB

Hal Rosser

Eitan said:
Hello,

I know Java-Applet (written for JBuilder).
I would like to know about dotnet technology,
pros and cons in comparation to Java-Applet technololgy.
Can I write a program in dotnet, like Java-Applet, compile it, debug it, and
put it as a class on an HTML (like Java-Applet).

I would like to introduce to the dot net technology.
Give me some samples, please, and a comparation to Java-Applet technology.

as much as I like Java - I have to admit - Applets are on the way out, but
in favor of Flash (not dot-net)

Monte Hansen

This a touchy area and still up for grabs. Code execution inside the browser
other than core javascript is risky (to both your code investment and the IS
Desktop Manager that wishes to restrict such things).

Also, I don't think .net has been accepted on the client yet, so it's really
hard to say. Does it have to be in a browser? If not, have you seen SWT?

+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+
Monte Hansen - MVP VB
http://KillerVB.com
+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+

Morten Wennevik

Frank,

I said there was no equivalent because all the solutions for .net is limited
Internet Explorer only and systems with .net framework installed, which
limits the target audience even further.

This is ok if you are on an intranet or can otherwise be certain that the
customer is using a certain system, but I do not consider it equivalent of
java applets.

Then again, the first java applets had the same limitations, so in a way
you could argue that this is equivalent.

Happy Coding!
Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

Daniel James

Applets are on the way out, but in favor of Flash

I do hope not! Flash is a nice little technology is you want to
display little on a website -- I can see whey Disney use it -- but
is not the best technology (or even a good technology) for much
else. It certainly can't offer all the functionality of applets, or
offer it as concisely or as securely.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Eitan

Frank Hileman said:
I don't know why Morten said there is no equivalent. The equivalent is a
.net UserControl. Here is an example using vector graphics; it runs with the
default permissions, no installation is required.
http://weblogs.asp.net/frank_hileman/archive/2004/07/23/192509.aspx

Regards,
Frank Hileman

Good.
It seems as a simple flash, so I can stand on the abilities of dotnet
UserControl
(Flash, even Flash Pro, is a toy in comparation to Java-Applets).
Maybe you can lead me to site, where I can find many links to dotnet
samples, please.
Where can I find detailed explanations on dotnet userControls ?

Thanks :)

Eitan

Sorry for my English,
but I would like to understand what you mean when you say :
Applets are on the way out, but in favor of Flash.

Is dotnet technology very simple like Flash.
I want to write applications, and not little and beautifull desinging (like
you said : Disney).

So my major questions are :
Is dotnet much like flash, or it much like Java-Applets ?
If not - when dotnet be much like Java-Applets (as it is today) ? Long-Horn
?

Thanks :)

frank

If you use Flash, you are not using .NET. It is an old ActiveX control. If
you use .NET, you have access to the entire .NET Framework, as well as
thousands of libraries and components written for the CLR, and sophisticated
development tools such as Visual Studio .NET. However, you will be
restricted to the Windows platform.

A .NET "applet" is much closer to a java applet than to flash. The power is
much greater than flash.

Frank

Frank Hileman

Code execution of .NET MSIL is just as safe as javascript. Your statement is
entirely false. The default permissions in Internet Explorer run .NET code
in a restricted sandbox, just like javascript.

Regards,
Frank Hileman

check out VG.net: www.vgdotnet.com
Animated vector graphics system
Integrated Visual Studio .NET graphics editor