DotNet Web Services Support on 64bit Win2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Tolga Erdogus, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    we have a web service written in VS.NET 2003 which calls a third party
    optimization engine. This works very nicely on 32bit Win 2003 Enterprise
    (which is where the optimization engine is locally installed).

    There is one problem though: For more complex problems the optimization
    engine tries to use more than 2GB of memory and the process hangs. My guess
    is because in the 32bit OS world of Microsoft each process is capped at 2GB.
    Our machine has 4GB and is configure to use /3GB.

    I need to solve significantly more complex models so I am guessing that it
    would be quite plausible that I would need 16GB of memory or more.
    This optimization engine we use, actually has a 64bit compiled version (it's
    a COM component) so I am hoping that I could call that from a 64 bit 2003
    machine which would allow more than 2GB of memory per process.

    My questions are:
    1) Does the DotNet 1.1 framework (specifically web services) work on 64
    bit Windows?
    2) Does anyone envision any problems with deploying the 64 bit version of
    the COM component within the web service?
    3) Since the Web Service is compiled with references to the 32 bit COM
    comtrol, would I actually have to build my dev environment on the 64 bit
    machine and recompile the web service or would everything fall in to place
    by just deploying everything on to the 64 bit machine by using the "Copy
    Project" command from VS.NET?
    4) Is there anything that seems like has been overlooked above?
    5) Is there an easier way to circumvent this memory problem using my
    current environment?

    Thanks
    Tolga Erdogus, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Tolga Erdogus

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Tolga,

    The .NET Framework, ASP.NET and even the Common language runtime is not
    available in 64-bit versions of the Windows Server 2003 family. For 32 bit
    COM component, they can still be used on 64 bit windows.

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)