DotNetNuke modules with Vis. Web Devel. 2008 Express

galien8

I use Visual Web Developer 2005 Express and web user control DLL's
come in these weird places:

C:\Documents and Settings\JohanStand\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary
ASP.NET Files\website3\f1f514e3\dc9a00f7\assembly
\dl3\8a06d240\2ee2e4db_a7c1c801

FILE: App_Web_hellodnn2.ascx.cdcab7d2.lxm65j8j.DLL

Indeed I made an HelloDNN2 user control in a web application and I did
build page for the ascx.

But these are not genuine DLL's I think because:

* You cannot add them to the toolbox
* You cannot register the DLL's (no design time errors though) on a
aspx web page so that they are loaded at runtime. You simply do not
see them! And again no errors (at runtime)
* You can create module definitions with them in DotNetNuke (no
errors) but then again you do not see the modules in edit, design or
view

Are these code behind DLL's and do not incorporate ascx as a genuine
custom user control would do?

Johan

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> web user control DLL's come in these weird places

Not "weird places" at all. Those are the JIT-compiled DLL's.

re:
!> But these are not genuine DLL's

They are, but they're JIT-compiled.

If you want to compile ascx into DLL's, see this article :
http://blogs.msdn.com/davidebb/archive/2005/10/30/487160.aspx

i.e., you need to *publish* the web site, to compile the ascx into a DLL.

More info at :
http://rbgupta.blogspot.com/2007/06/turning-ascx-user-control-into.html

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/tips-tricks/aspnet-reusing-web-user-controls-and-forms-000915.php

galien8

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your help

Express does note have 'Publish website' option

The aspnet_compiler.exe by the way behave the same.

Any ideas? Is it the limited Express edition of Visual Studio?

PLEASE HELP!

Kind regrads,

Johan

galien8

Dear Sir,

I forgot the word DLL'S

The aspnet_compiler.exe DLL'S behave the same! Are these also JIT-
compiled? Is JIT-compiled good enough for publishing a web site BUT
NOT FOR REGISTRING A ASCX WEB USER CONTROL ON A ASPX PAGE OR TO USE AS
A 'MODULE' IN DOTNETNUKE? IS THIS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VISUAL STUDIO
AND VISUAL STUDIO EXPRESS? IS THIS INTENDED BY MICROSOFT? BECAUSE OF
COURSE THE EXPRESS EDITION MUST BE LIMITED!!!!!

Please answer my questions.

Kind regards,

Johan van der Galien

Jeff Winn

So use Notepad and the command line tools if you don't like it. The express
versions were designed for hobbyists and as a starter kit for those wanting
to use .NET to develop simple applications.

Also, don't type in all caps - that's a good way to get your post ignored.