Dots Per Inch Problem

chris blackbur

I have created an asp.net website that looks fine when I view it from my
computer, but when I browse from another computer the controls are
overlapping each other in some cases. In other cases the text in tables
is wrapping onto itself.

I figured out what is causing the problem. This is only happening on
remote computers where the DPI Dots Per Inch of the display is set to
"Large size (120 DPI)" instead of "Normal size (96 DPI)". I am not sure
what to do about this though. I would like the website to display
correctly no matter what the user has their dpi set to. Does anyone have
a solution to this? Thanks.

To reproduce the dpi change:
Right Click on desktop, click properties, click settings, click
"advanced" near the bottom, click on the "general" tab, you should have
a combo box that allows you to change the dpi.

bruce barker

don't use gridmode - it has this limitation. your only other option is to
write clientside code that resizes everything.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| I have created an asp.net website that looks fine when I view it from my
| computer, but when I browse from another computer the controls are
| overlapping each other in some cases. In other cases the text in tables
| is wrapping onto itself.
|
| I figured out what is causing the problem. This is only happening on
| remote computers where the DPI Dots Per Inch of the display is set to
| "Large size (120 DPI)" instead of "Normal size (96 DPI)". I am not sure
| what to do about this though. I would like the website to display
| correctly no matter what the user has their dpi set to. Does anyone have
| a solution to this? Thanks.
|
| To reproduce the dpi change:
| Right Click on desktop, click properties, click settings, click
| "advanced" near the bottom, click on the "general" tab, you should have
| a combo box that allows you to change the dpi.
|

| Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

Guest

You probably dragging and dropping controls on the form and let VS.NET
desigenr to position controls. If you look at HTML source your labels will
probably look somehting like that:
<asp:Label id="Label1" style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 96px; POSITION: absolute;
TOP: 128px" runat="server" Width="72px" Height="56px">Label</asp:Label>

So HTML elements are positioned on the page based on TOP/LEFT pixel
coordiance. It will render differently on different monitors with different
physical sizes and different resolutions.
You don't want to do that. Remove that styles nonsense and istead use HTML
tags like <table> to naturally position controls on the page.