Dotted borders around image links

Arne

Hope this can be asked for in this group :)

Many (not all) images which are links, when clicked (like a:active) on,
a dotted border appears around them. I don't mind that generally, as the
borders are useful for tab-based navigation.

But it's a bit annoying that the browsers show them differently. In IE6
the borders are for the most very close to the image. But e.g. in
Mozilla browsers like SeaMonkey the bottom border appears several pixels
below the image. You can see an example on the Google logo here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dotted+links&btnG=Google+Search

The logo is 55px heigh and on IE the dotted bordered area have the same
height. But on my SeaMonkey the dotted area is approx 12px higher.
Any reason why this happens? It's a minor glitch, but quite annoying.

BTW,I have used the CSS quirk described on the first hit from the
search(sonspring.com) as they say it retain the border for tab-based
navigation. But if it does that, it is very hard for me to see the border.

I know I can remove the borders from my browser by editing the CSS that
controls the user interface. But it will appear on my pages in visitors
browsers that don't (know how to) edit their browsers CSS.

What's more, I have also noticed that if I use CSS to float the image,
then the dotted borders act the same way as in IE!

Jukka K. Korpela

Arne said:
Hope this can be asked for in this group :)

It's been asked many times.
Many (not all) images which are links, when clicked (like a:active)
on,
a dotted border appears around them. I don't mind that generally, as
the borders are useful for tab-based navigation.

Indeed they are, and for other types of use too.
But it's a bit annoying that the browsers show them differently.

Why? Few users will be interested in annoying themselves by comparing your
pages, or other pages, on different browsers and paying attention to such
details.

Briefly, it's no a problem. Don't make it a problem, and especially don't
create other problems in trying to solve the non-problem.

dorayme

Briefly, it's no a problem. Don't make it a problem, and especially don't
create other problems in trying to solve the non-problem.

Which raises the question in the average heated Martian brain,
Did God create our world as a result of trying to fix some
Ultimately Big Non-Problem right from the start?

oldwetdog

dorayme said:
Which raises the question in the average heated Martian brain,
Did God create our world as a result of trying to fix some
Ultimately Big Non-Problem right from the start?

Yep!

and now He's discovered He no longer needs this non-solution...

bye :)

Jukka K. Korpela

dorayme said:
Which raises the question in the average heated Martian brain,
Did God create our world as a result of trying to fix some
Ultimately Big Non-Problem right from the start?

No, but an early attempt to fix a non-problem created the mess we live in.
Adam and Eve lacked knowledge about something without knowing what it was,
and there was a certain animal that made them think that this was a problem
to be fixed at any cost.

dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela said:
No, but an early attempt to fix a non-problem created the mess we live in.
Adam and Eve lacked knowledge about something without knowing what it was,
and there was a certain animal that made them think that this was a problem
to be fixed at any cost.

I now have a delicious picture in my head of you being there to
advise them...

"Listen Adam and Eve, what is your real problem here, not the one
you are babbling about, the real one? What do you really want to
do? If you don't post a URL, don't expect to be helped here. And
by the way, are you two for real? What is your proper email
address? Where are your clothes? Are you trying to hide your
identity in a perverse sort of way by this nakedness? ..."

ironcorona

dorayme said:
I now have a delicious picture in my head of you being there to
advise them...

Of course the fact that there wasn't anyone there to advise means that
he was talking to himself. Which, in some circles, could be construed
as madness.