Double click not working

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by tshad, May 27, 2005.

  1. tshad

    tshad Guest

    I have been working with setting my drop boxes to allow double clicking to
    select an item.

    It worked fine until I made some changes. I then stripped the page down to
    the bare essentials to find out why it quit working. I found that if I
    didn't have a linkbutton, it quit working?????????

    If I changed the linkbutton to a regular button, it quit working.

    Here is the page:

    <%@ Page Language="VB" trace="true" debug="true" ContentType="text/html"
    ResponseEncoding="iso-8859-1" %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.SqlClient" %>
    <head>
    <title>:: Staffing Workshop ::</title>

    <script runat="server">
    sub Page_load(s as object,e as eventargs)
    if not IsPostBack then
    session("ClientID") = "1234"
    Call CheckResumes()
    Me.StoredResumes.Attributes("ondblClick") =
    "__doPostBack('LbxSender','')"
    end if
    If Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") = "LbxSender" Then
    trace.warn("Inside LbxSender")
    End If

    end sub

    Sub CheckResumes()
    Dim emailReader As SqlDataReader

    Dim ConnectionString as String
    =System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("MM_CONNECTION_STRING_ftsolutions")
    Dim objConn as New SqlConnection (ConnectionString)
    Dim CommandText as String = "Select ResumeTitle,ResumeID,CoverLetterID
    from ftsolutions.dbo.ResumeTemplates where ClientID = @ClientID and Email =
    @Email"
    Dim objCmd as New SqlCommand(CommandText,objConn)
    with objCmd.Parameters
    .Add("@ClientID",SqlDbType.VarChar,20).value = session("ClientID")
    .Add("@Email",SqlDbType.VarChar,45).value = session("Email")
    end with
    objConn.Open()
    StoredResumes.DataSource=objCmd.ExecuteReader
    StoredResumes.DataValueField="ResumeID"
    StoredResumes.DataTextField= "ResumeTitle"
    StoredResumes.databind()
    End Sub
    </script>
    </head>

    <form action="" method="post" runat="server">
    <asp:ListBox id="StoredResumes" rows="5" columns="30"
    runat="server" />
    <asp:linkButton id="NewRecord" Text="New" runat="server" />
    </form>

    This page works fine. Loads the Listbox fine. Sets the Listbox to have the
    ondblClick event, which works great (it does post back and the trace.warn
    displays fine.

    But if I take out the line:

    <asp:linkButton id="NewRecord" Text="New" runat="server" />

    It quits working.

    If I change it to:

    <asp:Button id="NewRecord" Text="New" runat="server" />

    It quits working (the button works, but the dblClick does not).

    These objects are not connected, why would it have an effect?

    I need to find out what is happening as 2 of my main pages are now not
    working correctly.

    Thanks,

    Tom
    tshad, May 27, 2005

  2. tshad

    tshad Guest

    The interesting thing is you can just put a nothing link (no id, test,
    event) anywhere on the page and it will cause the page to work. But the
    linkbutton must be visible.

    I added the following to the 2 pages that quit working and all of a sudden
    they worked fine.

    <asp:linkButton runat="server" />

    This makes no sense !!!!!

    It works fine as a bandaid, but not a proper solution.

    Tom

    tshad, May 27, 2005

  3. tshad

    Bruce Barker Guest

    makes perfect sense.

    you wrote client code that calls __doPostBack(), the routine used by
    autopostback (javascript) controls. you need an autopostback control on the
    page for this to be available. a linkbutton works, but a standard asp:button
    is actually a submit button, and does not require javascript to postback. if
    a control is maked invisible, its not rendered, so it just like its not on
    the page.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, May 27, 2005
  4. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "Bruce Barker" <> wrote in message
    > makes perfect sense.
    >
    > you wrote client code that calls __doPostBack(), the routine used by
    > autopostback (javascript) controls. you need an autopostback control on
    > the page for this to be available. a linkbutton works, but a standard
    > asp:button is actually a submit button, and does not require javascript to
    > postback. if a control is maked invisible, its not rendered, so it just
    > like its not on the page.

    I'd never heard that one before.

    I don't think any of the other places where it shows how to set up double
    clicking do they talk about needing another control to make it work.

    I assumed that the double click event is self contained to the control it is
    connected to as well as Javascript (not asp.net). What else could I use on
    the page to make it work other than a link button.

    The invisible problem does make sense.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, May 27, 2005
  5. tshad

    Bruce Barker Guest

    the code you add to the dblclick is

    "__doPostBack('LbxSender','')"

    for the client javascript function __doPostBack to exist, you need an
    autopostback control on the page. if you just need a postback try:

    "document.forms[0].submit();"

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, May 27, 2005
  6. tshad

    > the code you add to the dblclick is
    >
    > "__doPostBack('LbxSender','')"
    >
    > for the client javascript function __doPostBack to exist, you need an
    > autopostback control on the page. if you just need a postback try:
    >
    > "document.forms[0].submit();"

    Where would I put that?

    For an autopostback, could I just put that on the asp:listbox line?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, May 27, 2005