double underscore nomenclature in Python

Todd Benson

So, I'm stuck re-engineering some dreadful Python library code into
Ruby (and I mean terrible, a mish-mash of different clashing
programming paradigms -- inheritance, delegation, etc. severely
intertwined all over, ugghh), and I came across Python's use of these
double underscore methods (__hook_method__. I'm a Python virgin; so
sue me. Never learned Perl, either).

I'm curious as to why Ruby unintentionally keeps these type of things
less obvious. I've seen many questions on this group concerning #puts
using an object's #to_s to display itself. Don't get me wrong; it
doesn't bother me at all, but I've run across a few newbies that
struggle with this type of "hidden" guru knowledge (It's surely not
hidden, but not easy to discover either; sort of like a live
Architeuthis).

So, should one ingrain a style into the language (like the BeOS team
very strongly suggested with its C++ coding practice guidelines), or
keep it laid back and just be firm with people about reading the docs?

Todd

Mark Thomas

So, I'm stuck re-engineering some dreadful Python library code into
Ruby (and I mean terrible, a mish-mash of different clashing
programming paradigms -- inheritance, delegation, etc. severely
intertwined all over, ugghh), and I came across Python's use of these
double underscore methods (__hook_method__.  I'm a Python virgin; so
sue me.  Never learned Perl, either).

I'm curious as to why Ruby unintentionally keeps these type of things
less obvious.  I've seen many questions on this group concerning #puts
using an object's #to_s to display itself.  Don't get me wrong; it
doesn't bother me at all, but I've run across a few newbies that
struggle with this type of "hidden" guru knowledge (It's surely not
hidden, but not easy to discover either; sort of like a live
Architeuthis).

Python uses __method_name to denote private methods (not enforced,
just a convention). Ruby has keywords 'private' and 'protected'.

Python uses __method_name__ with leading and trailing underscores for
special system functions with pre-defined behavior. Like __init__()
where ruby uses 'initialize'.

Python has certain underscore methods for operator overloading; you
define __add__() to overload '+'. Whereas in Ruby, you simply define
the '+' method.

I'm not sure how this equates to hidden guru knowledge. Ruby makes
more sense to me in these situations.

-- Mark.

Robert Klemme

2009/4/14 Mark Thomas said:
Python uses __method_name to denote private methods (not enforced,
just a convention). Ruby has keywords 'private' and 'protected'.

Python uses __method_name__ with leading and trailing underscores for
special system functions with pre-defined behavior. Like __init__()
where ruby uses 'initialize'.

Python has certain underscore methods for operator overloading; you
define __add__() to overload '+'. Whereas in Ruby, you simply define
the '+' method.

I'm not sure how this equates to hidden guru knowledge. Ruby makes
more sense to me in these situations.

+1

Todd had a nice summary statement included in his first posting: "keep
it laid back and just be firm with people about reading the docs". :)

Kind regards

robert

--=20

GenesisGai