    I don't remember seeing the term ``doubt'' used much in c.l.c. back in the
    90's. When did this word become nearly synonymous with ``question'' or
    ``query'' and does it have static duration?

    Bob Nelson, Jul 28, 2006

  2. Bob Nelson

    Michael Mair Guest

    Bob Nelson schrieb:
    > I don't remember seeing the term ``doubt'' used much in c.l.c. back in the
    > 90's. When did this word become nearly synonymous with ``question'' or
    > ``query'' and does it have static duration?

    Well, as there are more and more participants from more and more
    countries, you get more and more versions of "English". In this
    case, the origin is India.
    When the scope was clear, we worried more about semantics and
    linkage than duration, though ;-)

    Cheers
    Michael

    Michael Mair, Jul 28, 2006

  3. Bob Nelson wrote:
    > I don't remember seeing the term ``doubt'' used much in c.l.c. back in the
    > 90's. When did this word become nearly synonymous with ``question'' or
    > ``query''

    When western countries started outsourcing Y2K problems to Asian sub-
    continent countries.

    > and does it have static duration?

    N, s redy bng rplcd wt 'dbt'.

    Shouldn't be long before it's just 'dt'. ;-)

    --
    Peter

    Peter Nilsson, Jul 28, 2006
  4. Bob Nelson <> writes:
    > I don't remember seeing the term ``doubt'' used much in c.l.c. back in the
    > 90's. When did this word become nearly synonymous with ``question'' or
    > ``query'' and does it have static duration?

    It seems to be common usage in India.

    Keith Thompson, Jul 28, 2006
  5. Bob Nelson

    Richard Bos Guest

    "Peter Nilsson" <> wrote:

    > Bob Nelson wrote:
    > > I don't remember seeing the term ``doubt'' used much in c.l.c. back in the
    > > 90's. When did this word become nearly synonymous with ``question'' or
    > > ``query''

    > When western countries started outsourcing Y2K problems to Asian sub-
    > continent countries.

    Specifically, the Indian subcontinent. I'm sure an influx of programmers
    from the Arabian subcontinent would have brought its own linguistic
    oddities, but this one seems to be mostly Indian.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jul 28, 2006
  6. Bob Nelson said:

    > I don't remember seeing the term ``doubt'' used much in c.l.c. back in the
    > 90's. When did this word become nearly synonymous with ``question'' or
    > ``query''

    Strangely, both nouns are commonly used as verbs without modification, and
    the verb forms are fairly close in meaning, although by no means
    synonymous. In the noun form, they are even less obviously associated, and
    it's hard to see how anyone could learn them except from someone who had
    already got them wrong. I suppose it's a bit like void main - someone
    randomly used the one instead of the other, and was sufficiently
    influential that their usage was adopted by others.

    > and does it have static duration?

    Well, it certainly appears to lead to collisions!

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Jul 28, 2006
  7. Bob Nelson

    Bob Nelson Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:

    > Bob Nelson said:
    >
    >> I don't remember seeing the term ``doubt'' used much in c.l.c. back in
    >> the 90's. When did this word become nearly synonymous with ``question''
    >> or ``query''

    > Strangely, both nouns are commonly used as verbs without modification, and
    > the verb forms are fairly close in meaning, although by no means
    > synonymous. In the noun form, they are even less obviously associated, and
    > it's hard to see how anyone could learn them except from someone who had
    > already got them wrong. I suppose it's a bit like void main - someone
    > randomly used the one instead of the other, and was sufficiently
    > influential that their usage was adopted by others.

    Steve Summit's release of the ``C-FAD-list'' appears unlikely.

    Bob Nelson, Jul 28, 2006
  8. Bob Nelson

    Default User Guest

    Bob Nelson wrote:

    > I don't remember seeing the term ``doubt'' used much in c.l.c. back
    > in the 90's. When did this word become nearly synonymous with
    > ``question'' or ``query'' and does it have static duration?

    As others have noted, it's a dialect usage in India. There's an
    expanding pool of beginning programmers in India, coupled with the new
    Google interface to give them easier access to usenet.

    Brian

    Default User, Jul 28, 2006
  9. On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 06:01:42 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Bob Nelson
    <> wrote:

    >I don't remember seeing the term ``doubt'' used much in c.l.c. back in the
    >90's. When did this word become nearly synonymous with ``question'' or
    >``query'' and does it have static duration?

    When lots of people speaking a different idiomatic version of English
    began programming. Seems that in India "doubt" means "question".

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Jul 28, 2006
  10. Bob Nelson

    Guest

    In article <>,
    Mark McIntyre <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 06:01:42 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Bob Nelson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't remember seeing the term ``doubt'' used much in c.l.c. back in the
    >>90's. When did this word become nearly synonymous with ``question'' or
    >>``query'' and does it have static duration?

    >When lots of people speaking a different idiomatic version of English
    >began programming. Seems that in India "doubt" means "question".

    Also, I understand that whatever word is used in some non-English
    languages to pose a question ("I have a question about .... ") is
    one that in other contexts can be translated as "doubt", which may
    explain why some non-native speakers of English use the unidiomatic
    ("I have a doubt about .... ") construction.

    I've tried to pursue this in a couple of groups where such discussions
    might be more on-topic, but not always with much success. I'll track
    down specifics if anyone's really interested.

    --
    B. L. Massingill

    , Jul 29, 2006
  11. In article <> <> writes:
    > Also, I understand that whatever word is used in some non-English
    > languages to pose a question ("I have a question about .... ") is
    > one that in other contexts can be translated as "doubt", which may
    > explain why some non-native speakers of English use the unidiomatic
    > ("I have a doubt about .... ") construction.

    I do not know any language where that is the case. But for non-native
    speakers it is certainly the case that it is sometimes difficult to
    remember the difference between words in English when such a difference
    is non-existing in the native language. I have had my periods confusing
    "to teach" and "to learn" when writing English (in Dutch they are a single
    verb).

    Dik T. Winter, Jul 30, 2006
  12. Bob Nelson

    Guest

    In article <>, Dik T. Winter <> wrote:
    >In article <>
    ><> writes:
    > > Also, I understand that whatever word is used in some non-English
    > > languages to pose a question ("I have a question about .... ") is
    > > one that in other contexts can be translated as "doubt", which may
    > > explain why some non-native speakers of English use the unidiomatic
    > > ("I have a doubt about .... ") construction.

    >I do not know any language where that is the case. But for non-native
    >speakers it is certainly the case that it is sometimes difficult to
    >remember the difference between words in English when such a difference
    >is non-existing in the native language. I have had my periods confusing
    >"to teach" and "to learn" when writing English (in Dutch they are a single
    >verb).

    Strongly agreed (about difficulties with "foreign" languages)!
    That is a whole subject in itself, but surely too far off-topic for
    this group.

    If anyone's curious, the language(s) mentioned when this subject came
    up elsewhere were Italian and Spanish, though for Spanish apparently
    you *can* say "I have a question", but people seem to prefer to say
    "I have a doubt", as this is considered more polite, or something
    (I wasn't able to completely understand what the person who made this
    claim was getting at).

    And the explanation floated here, that "I have a doubt" is standard
    in English-as-spoken-in-India .... New information, very plausible,
    much appreciated.

    --
    B. L. Massingill

    , Jul 30, 2006