Doubt in -- Ruby --> Array --> array.display -- method

jazzez ravi

Hi All,

I created few (array's method related) questions in ruby. But I am not
clear about one question. Here is the question ..

Question 7
(from
http://raveendran.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/ruby-array-related-excercise/)

@a=[34,45,56,2,13,54]

@b= @a[2].display.to_i + @a[3].display.to_i

puts @b gives,

a) Error b) 58 c) 5620 d) 562

This is the question. In my view,

MY Solution 1:

@a[2].display.to_i => 56.display gives 56.to_i => 56
@a[3].display.to_i => 2.diaply gives 2.to_i => 2

@b= 56 + 2

@b must come as 58

MY Solution 2:

56.display -> displays 56 -> Here .to_i will not work

So my answers is,

@b= 562

But the result came as 5620 . how it works ?

Thanks,
P.Raveendran

Siep Korteling

jazzez said:
Hi All,

I created few (array's method related) questions in ruby. But I am not
clear about one question. Here is the question ..

Question 7
(from
http://raveendran.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/ruby-array-related-excercise/)

@a=[34,45,56,2,13,54]

@b= @a[2].display.to_i + @a[3].display.to_i

puts @b gives,

a) Error b) 58 c) 5620 d) 562

This is the question. In my view, (...)

MY Solution 2:

56.display -> displays 56 -> Here .to_i will not work

So my answers is,

@b= 562

But the result came as 5620 . how it works ?

Thanks,
P.Raveendran

56.display -> prints 56 and returns nil.
nil.to_i returns 0
So @b equals zero

hth,

Siep