doubt

AnetaKvel

is it possible for any java program written in GUI to execute commands
on the OS shell interface.
like is it possible for a Applet or Application to compile and create a
class file,if so can any body teach me how.
sorry for my english
thank you in advance

Andrew Thompson

AnetaKvel wrote:

Sub: doubt

I doubt that 'doubt' is a good title for this thread.
(Unless you are talking theology, which is off-topic,
and still does not make it a *good* title)

Andrew T.

Randolf Richardson

is it possible for any java program written in GUI to execute commands
on the OS shell interface.
like is it possible for a Applet or Application to compile and create a
class file,if so can any body teach me how.
sorry for my english
thank you in advance

If I'm understanding what you're trying to ask, then "java.lang.Runtime"
is probably what you need.

Steve W. Jackson

"Randolf Richardson said:
If I'm understanding what you're trying to ask, then "java.lang.Runtime"
is probably what you need.

An applet will be tricky because of security/permissions rules, but the
Runtime class and its exec methods would indeed allow execution of
commands on "the OS shell interface" as the OP mentioned.

As of Java 5, it might be better to look into the new programmatic
interface to the compiler. On the "new features" page of the JDK5
documentation it mentions the com.sun.tools.javac.Main class and links
to <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/solaris/javac.html> to
describe it. While the link names Solaris, it's my understanding that
it should work on any supported platform.

= Steve =

Hal Rosser

Andrew Thompson said:
AnetaKvel wrote:

Sub: doubt

I doubt that 'doubt' is a good title for this thread.
(Unless you are talking theology, which is off-topic,
and still does not make it a *good* title)

Andrew T.
I would hazard to guess the word 'doubt' was the result of translating the
word 'question' from the OP's native language - probably using a translation
program.
I may be wrong - but I 'doubt' it. :)

Andrew Thompson

Hal said:
I would hazard to guess the word 'doubt' was the result of translating the
word 'question' from the OP's native language ...

Sounds logical. But note ..
1) 'Question' is an even worse title.
2) Translation programs are more likely to be
able to parse a (linguistically correct) *phrase*
or sentence, than any *single* word that is
inherently outside any 'known context'.

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote:
(snip)
... But note ..
1) 'Question' is an even worse title.
2) Translation programs ...

3) If a poster is very bad at english, it might help
to *also* post the question again, immediately
below, in their native language.
- Firstly, because there might be someone
about the place who speaks the same
language, but can translate better to English.
- Secondly, because someone who does *not*
speak the same language, but knows some
key phrases and words, might better translate.
- And, especially with groups of languages that
have the same 'roots' (e.g. Latin for most
European languages), someone that neither
knows the language, nor recognises key
phrases in it, might still recognise a word
with a common root.

It is all about - communicating the technical problem.

Andrew T.

AnetaKvel

Thank you Mr.Richard and Thank you Mr.Steve your replies helped me a
lot in coding the solution to my lab excercise.
As for the language discussion, is there any way to post my question in
Tamil which happens to be my mother tongue, we still do not have any
translators developed in my country (India) or around the world to
translate it in to English or any other foreign language(even though
google search provides an opportunity to use my mother tongue ,it has
limited operational facility) so the Usenet groups has to bear with my
poor language. since English is second language to me .if you people
know anything about the available best translators please provide me
the link to website. I may use it to post the queries in better phrased
titles and details. Even if I post in my mother tongue it will I get
attention from experienced people like you in answering my
queries???????
Thank you
Aneta KVel

Andrew Thompson

AnetaKvel said:
Thank you Mr.Richard and Thank you Mr.Steve your replies helped me a
lot in coding the solution to my lab excercise.
As for the language discussion, is there any way to post my question in
Tamil ...

Ahh. I was completely forgetting languages based
on entirely different character sets(?).

*Very* stupid of me. Sorry.
. .....Even if I post in my mother tongue it will I get
attention from experienced people like you in answering my
queries???????

*Always* post an english version, the best you
can do. Note that when you add more words,
it often makes things more clear.

But a couple of notes.
- Your English is a lot better than a lot of other
people who get a technical solution to their problem.
- Please fix that sticky '?' key on your keyboard.

Andrew T.