Download file works locally, but not on server - Any idea?

Carlos Lozano

Hello,
I have the following section of code in a popup window that is opened from
other page when clicking a button:
The downloadFile method is called from the Page_Load Event.

private void downloadFile(string filename)
{
Response.ClearHeaders();
Response.ClearContent();

// set the http content type to "APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM
Response.ContentType = "APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM";

// initialize the http content-disposition header to
// indicate a file attachment with the default filename
// "myFile.txt"
//String disHeader = "Attachment; Filename=\"" + filename +
"\"";
string disHeader = "Attachment; Filename=" + filename;
Response.AppendHeader("Content-Disposition", disHeader);

// transfer the file byte-by-byte to the response object
System.IO.FileInfo fileToDownload = new
System.IO.FileInfo(Server.MapPath("Downloads") + "\\" + filename);

Response.Flush();
Response.WriteFile(fileToDownload.FullName);
Response.End();
}

This code works okay when running locally (http://localhost/site). If I try
to run it on a server in the internet (http://server/site) it does not show
the file download dialog.
The popup window is shown very fast, then it is closed right away.

Any ideas? Is it a security issue?

Thank you,

Carlos

Guest

[...]

Try to add a try..catch block to see the error (if any)

try {
....your code
} catch (Exception e)
// file IO errors
{
Response.Write (e.getMessage());
}

also try to check the path you get in fileToDownload.FullName

Carlos Lozano

That is exactly why I am puzzled.
The file path is okay and no exception happens. It just does not do what it
should do when installed on the server. In addition the download page is
closed automatically, I have not code for closing it. So it is weird.