Download files from remote server

axelman

Hi guys,

I'm using Classic ASP, IIS6, IE 7, FF 3

I've developed a vb script to downloand files hosted in my server (zip, doc,
pdf, jpg, xls, et. etc.) it's very straight forward and there's a lot of
information around the web, however when it comes to dowload files from a
remote server (NOT hosted in my server) there is no information :-(, the
idea is to have an Access DB that stores the full url
i.e.(http://www.downloadallfiles.com/somefolder/manual.zip) then retrieve
this url and downlod the file, again I'm able to force the download dialog
box but do not know how to achive the actual download from a remote server.

Please your urgent help is appreciated, I've been stuck for 2 weeks on this
issue.

Best regards

Evertjan.

axelman wrote on 20 okt 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
I'm using Classic ASP, IIS6, IE 7, FF 3

I've developed a vb script to downloand files hosted in my server

Do you mean an html page with serverside vbscript scripting in it?

IE7 and FF3 do not make sence in that case as any modern browser should do
the trick.
(zip, doc, pdf, jpg, xls, et. etc.) it's very straight forward and
there's a lot of information around the web, however when it comes
to dowload files from a remote server (NOT hosted in my server) there
is no information :-(,

on the contrary
the idea is to have an Access DB that stores
the full url
i.e.(http://www.downloadallfiles.com/somefolder/manual.zip) then
retrieve this url and downlod the file, again I'm able to force the
download dialog box but do not know how to achive the actual download
from a remote server.

You want to download stuf from the remote server to your own server?
Please your urgent help is appreciated, I've been stuck for 2 weeks on
this issue.

Use

server.xmlhttp

axelman

Hi
Do you mean an html page with serverside vbscript scripting in it?
Yes

You want to download stuf from the remote server to your own server?

Not exactly, I'm developing an app that allows the register users to upload
the url of documents they wish to share, so there's no space or bandwidth
consumed on my server, now when a new user wants to download a file all he
sees is a link with the file name (even if he edits/views the source code of
the page) and when the download starts the download dialog and browser
window do not display the full url path to the file just the file name.

Again I've achieved this when files are physically on my server, however
when a file is on a remote server I can not do a binary file transfer.
Use

server.xmlhttp

Can you please elaborate more and send some sample.

Thanks for your time

Evertjan.

axelman wrote on 20 okt 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
Not exactly, I'm developing an app that allows the register users to
upload the url of documents they wish to share, so there's no space or
bandwidth consumed on my server, now when a new user wants to download
a file all he sees is a link with the file name (even if he
edits/views the source code of the page) and when the download starts
the download dialog and browser window do not display the full url
path to the file just the file name.

Again I've achieved this when files are physically on my server,
however when a file is on a remote server I can not do a binary file
transfer.

You would need, methinks, to download, with cliendside scripting,
files from a page on another domain to the client.

and serverside scripting has nothing to do with it,
as you cannot download on the client using serverside scripting.

This other domain downloading by clientside script is:

1 off topic of this serverside scripting under classic ASP group.

2 impossible with modern browsers under the default security settings of
a browser.

However you could just insert the url this way and download with
rightclick+download [windows IE] file using:

Download me</a>