    Please your urgent help is appreciated, I've been stuck for 2 weeks on this
    issue.

    Best regards

    axelman, Oct 20, 2008

  2. axelman

    Evertjan. Guest

    axelman wrote on 20 okt 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > I'm using Classic ASP, IIS6, IE 7, FF 3
    >
    > I've developed a vb script to downloand files hosted in my server

    Do you mean an html page with serverside vbscript scripting in it?

    IE7 and FF3 do not make sence in that case as any modern browser should do
    the trick.

    > (zip, doc, pdf, jpg, xls, et. etc.) it's very straight forward and
    > there's a lot of information around the web, however when it comes
    > to dowload files from a remote server (NOT hosted in my server) there
    > is no information :-(,

    on the contrary

    > the idea is to have an Access DB that stores
    > the full url
    > i.e.(http://www.downloadallfiles.com/somefolder/manual.zip) then
    > retrieve this url and downlod the file, again I'm able to force the
    > download dialog box but do not know how to achive the actual download
    > from a remote server.

    You want to download stuf from the remote server to your own server?

    > Please your urgent help is appreciated, I've been stuck for 2 weeks on
    > this issue.

    Use

    server.xmlhttp

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Oct 20, 2008

  3. axelman

    axelman Guest

    Hi

    > Do you mean an html page with serverside vbscript scripting in it?

    Yes

    > You want to download stuf from the remote server to your own server?

    Not exactly, I'm developing an app that allows the register users to upload
    the url of documents they wish to share, so there's no space or bandwidth
    consumed on my server, now when a new user wants to download a file all he
    sees is a link with the file name (even if he edits/views the source code of
    the page) and when the download starts the download dialog and browser
    window do not display the full url path to the file just the file name.

    Again I've achieved this when files are physically on my server, however
    when a file is on a remote server I can not do a binary file transfer.

    > Use
    >
    > server.xmlhttp

    Can you please elaborate more and send some sample.

    Thanks for your time

    axelman, Oct 20, 2008
  4. axelman

    Evertjan. Guest

    axelman wrote on 20 okt 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    >> Do you mean an html page with serverside vbscript scripting in it?

    > Yes
    >
    >> You want to download stuf from the remote server to your own server?

    > Not exactly, I'm developing an app that allows the register users to
    > upload the url of documents they wish to share, so there's no space or
    > bandwidth consumed on my server, now when a new user wants to download
    > a file all he sees is a link with the file name (even if he
    > edits/views the source code of the page) and when the download starts
    > the download dialog and browser window do not display the full url
    > path to the file just the file name.
    >
    > Again I've achieved this when files are physically on my server,
    > however when a file is on a remote server I can not do a binary file
    > transfer.

    You would need, methinks, to download, with cliendside scripting,
    files from a page on another domain to the client.

    and serverside scripting has nothing to do with it,
    as you cannot download on the client using serverside scripting.

    This other domain downloading by clientside script is:

    1 off topic of this serverside scripting under classic ASP group.

    2 impossible with modern browsers under the default security settings of
    a browser.

    However you could just insert the url this way and download with
    rightclick+download [windows IE] file using:

    Download me</a>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.