Download files with ina web service and use it furthur

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by apondu, Apr 3, 2007.

  1. apondu

    apondu Guest

    Hi,
    I am new to web services and i am facing a problem.

    I am interested in downloading some file from internet and use it for
    furthur processing For eg. i have a file at a the following URL and i
    want to download that file in the web service which i am coding and
    use it for furthur.

    In normal window application i can achieve this by the following
    code

    link : http://www2.parc.com/csl/members/woodruff/publications/1996-Woodruff-WWW5-WWW.pdf

    WebClient WC=new WebClient();

    string fileName = "c:\\" + link.Substring(link.LastIndexOf("/")+1);

    WC.DownloadFile(link,fileName);

    But if i try to achieve the same thing in web service using c#.net
    with the following code i am not able to do it.

    WebClient WC=new WebClient();

    string fileName = "c:\\" + link.Substring(link.LastIndexOf("/")+1);

    WC.DownloadFile(link,Server.MapPath(fileName));

    can some one suggest me how to achieve the it web services.I am also
    intrested in furthur performing some operation on this file for
    example reading the data from the file and use it.

    Thanks for the help.

    This is my mail-id :

    Regards,
    Govardhan

    apondu, Apr 3, 2007

  2. On 3 Apr 2007 03:41:51 -0700, apondu wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am new to web services and i am facing a problem.
    >
    > I am interested in downloading some file from internet and use it for
    > furthur processing For eg. i have a file at a the following URL and i
    > want to download that file in the web service which i am coding and
    > use it for furthur.
    >
    > In normal window application i can achieve this by the following
    > code
    >
    > link : http://www2.parc.com/csl/members/woodruff/publications/1996-Woodruff-WWW5-WWW.pdf
    >
    > WebClient WC=new WebClient();
    >
    > string fileName = "c:\\" + link.Substring(link.LastIndexOf("/")+1);
    >
    > WC.DownloadFile(link,fileName);
    >
    > But if i try to achieve the same thing in web service using c#.net
    > with the following code i am not able to do it.
    >
    > WebClient WC=new WebClient();
    >
    > string fileName = "c:\\" + link.Substring(link.LastIndexOf("/")+1);
    >
    > WC.DownloadFile(link,Server.MapPath(fileName));
    >
    > can some one suggest me how to achieve the it web services.I am also
    > intrested in furthur performing some operation on this file for
    > example reading the data from the file and use it.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > This is my mail-id :
    >
    > Regards,
    > Govardhan

    Why are you not able to do it? What error message are you getting, if any?
    --
    Bits.Bytes
    http://bytes.thinkersroom.com

    Rad [Visual C# MVP], Apr 3, 2007