download stock quote from yahoo

I am writing an app in which I need to get the stock quote from Yahoo.
Idealy, I will get a stream from Yahoo's web site and parse that as
string and display the information (price, PE, volumn...).

What class should I use?

If you use "http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=YHOO&f=sl1d1t1c1ohgv&e=.csv"
as URL in HttpConnection, you will download a file. How can I obtain a
stream? Is there other URL in Yahoo's site I can get a stream?

Thanks,

ff

Andrew Thompson

f said:
I am writing an app in which I need to get the stock quote from Yahoo.
Idealy, I will get a stream from Yahoo's web site and parse that as
string and display the information (price, PE, volumn...).

What class should I use?

If you use
"http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=YHOO&f=sl1d1t1c1ohgv&e=.csv"
as URL in HttpConnection, you will download a file. How can I obtain
stream? Is there other URL in Yahoo's site I can get a stream?

Thanks,

ff

Andrew Thompson

...hmm. Let's try that again, with some text this time.

Good for you. I am reading a group for
c.l.j.programmer's, where folks are
supposed to already know how to consult
the JavaDocs.

Your message indicates that you have not,
and possibly are unaware of their existence.

Please confine your posts to c.l.j.help
for the moment, at least unitl you can
figure how to use the JavaDocs and
ask smart questions on usenet.

Peter Astbury

After that reply you are probably thinking "does everyone in this
newsgroup have a stick up their ****?" The answer is 'no'.

Andrew Thompson, if you can't or don't want to help then just don't
reply to the post, there's no need to bite people's heads off.

f. To answer your question. Try adapting the following code for your
application:

// Read an http resource in to a stream
String tAddress = "http://domain/path/to/resource/file.ext";
URL tDocument = new URL(tAddress);
URLConnection tConnection = tDocument.openConnection();
tConnection.connect();
BufferedReader tBufferedReader = new BufferedReader
(new InputStreamReader(tDocument.openStream()));

then read the stream as you would with any other BufferedReader object
(keyboard input, for example).

Hope this is a bit more helpful than Andrew's reply.

Berlin Brown

f said:
I am writing an app in which I need to get the stock quote from Yahoo.
Idealy, I will get a stream from Yahoo's web site and parse that as
string and display the information (price, PE, volumn...).

What class should I use?

If you use "http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=YHOO&f=sl1d1t1c1ohgv&e=.csv"
as URL in HttpConnection, you will download a file. How can I obtain a
stream? Is there other URL in Yahoo's site I can get a stream?

Thanks,

ff

I haven't looked at the yahoo finance page, but I am sure they have a
rss or XML tag somewhere and you can get the quote. I dont much trust
csv or plain text. (that is just me)

Berlin Brown

Peter said:
After that reply you are probably thinking "does everyone in this
newsgroup have a stick up their ****?" The answer is 'no'.

Andrew Thompson, if you can't or don't want to help then just don't
reply to the post, there's no need to bite people's heads off.

f. To answer your question. Try adapting the following code for your
application:

// Read an http resource in to a stream
String tAddress = "http://domain/path/to/resource/file.ext";
URL tDocument = new URL(tAddress);
URLConnection tConnection = tDocument.openConnection();
tConnection.connect();
BufferedReader tBufferedReader = new BufferedReader
(new InputStreamReader(tDocument.openStream()));

then read the stream as you would with any other BufferedReader object
(keyboard input, for example).

Hope this is a bit more helpful than Andrew's reply.
Personally I like the comments, I think they are real and I learn more
if people are direct and to the point as opposed to wishy-washy. We are
programmer, we have thick skins.

You are sick and **** you JavaDocs.