download the file, instead of opening it...

aotemp

I have a .prc file (a file that is used as a way to install an
application onto a palm pilot). However when I click on the link, it
does not offer a download, instead it opens it up into a really ugly
looking text file.

anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Mitja Trampus

I have a .prc file (a file that is used as a way to install an
application onto a palm pilot). However when I click on the link, it
does not offer a download, instead it opens it up into a really ugly
looking text file.

url?

You're probably sending wrong http headers along with the
file. Either that, or you have your browser configured in a
weird way.

Travis Newbury

I have a .prc file (a file that is used as a way to install an
application onto a palm pilot). However when I click on the link, it
does not offer a download, instead it opens it up into a really ugly
looking text file.
anyone know how to fix this?

Yes, install the palm pilot installer on the systm. It will set up the
right application for your visitor.

brucie

I have a .prc file (a file that is used as a way to install an
application onto a palm pilot). However when I click on the link, it
does not offer a download, instead it opens it up into a really ugly
looking text file.

you need to tell your giggly server the mime type of the file, sounds like
its just getting sent as text/plain at the moment.

the l i t t l e v o i c e s tell me the correct mine is
application/x-pilot-prc

(assumes apache) stick the below in a .htaccess file[1] for the directory
you want the directives to apply to. child directories inherit the
directives so if you stick it in your root[2] the directives will apply to
all of your site.

AddType application/x-pilot-prc .prc

once you do that the server will send the giggly file with the correct
mime. its up to the computer requesting the file to then know what to do
with it, (such as automatically stuff it into a palm pilot plugged into the
computer) if it doesn't know what to do with it then you're most likely to
get a download dialog.

[1] a .htaccess file is a plain text file named as shown. if you create the
file with notepad save the file with quotes to prevent notepad from adding
a .txt extension i.e: ".htaccess"

[2] i like saying root, it makes me giggle.

you may need to read these:

How to post from Google:

How do I quote correctly in Usenet? - Quoting and Answering