    anyone know how to fix this?

    Thanks

    , Nov 9, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I have a .prc file (a file that is used as a way to install an
    > application onto a palm pilot). However when I click on the link, it
    > does not offer a download, instead it opens it up into a really ugly
    > looking text file.

    url?

    You're probably sending wrong http headers along with the
    file. Either that, or you have your browser configured in a
    weird way.

    Mitja Trampus, Nov 9, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > I have a .prc file (a file that is used as a way to install an
    > application onto a palm pilot). However when I click on the link, it
    > does not offer a download, instead it opens it up into a really ugly
    > looking text file.
    > anyone know how to fix this?

    Yes, install the palm pilot installer on the systm. It will set up the
    right application for your visitor.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Nov 9, 2005
  4. brucie Guest

    In post <news:>,
    said:

    > I have a .prc file (a file that is used as a way to install an
    > application onto a palm pilot). However when I click on the link, it
    > does not offer a download, instead it opens it up into a really ugly
    > looking text file.

    you need to tell your giggly server the mime type of the file, sounds like
    its just getting sent as text/plain at the moment.

    the l i t t l e v o i c e s tell me the correct mine is
    application/x-pilot-prc

    (assumes apache) stick the below in a .htaccess file[1] for the directory
    you want the directives to apply to. child directories inherit the
    directives so if you stick it in your root[2] the directives will apply to
    all of your site.

    AddType application/x-pilot-prc .prc

    once you do that the server will send the giggly file with the correct
    mime. its up to the computer requesting the file to then know what to do
    with it, (such as automatically stuff it into a palm pilot plugged into the
    computer) if it doesn't know what to do with it then you're most likely to
    get a download dialog.

    [1] a .htaccess file is a plain text file named as shown. if you create the
    file with notepad save the file with quotes to prevent notepad from adding
    a .txt extension i.e: ".htaccess"

    [2] i like saying root, it makes me giggle.

    you may need to read these:

    How to post from Google:

    How do I quote correctly in Usenet? - Quoting and Answering

    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 9, 2005