    clients to be able to click on a link that will start a download or any type
    of file. Try searching on "download"! Of course this has to be server side -
    I can't expect my clients to have to install something at there end. Thanks.

    Simon Wigzell, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Simon Wigzell

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:32:38 GMT, "Simon Wigzell"
    <> wrote:

    >Allowing download of file types that will display in a browser is no
    >problem, but how about files types that don't display? I would like my
    >clients to be able to click on a link that will start a download or any type
    >of file. Try searching on "download"! Of course this has to be server side -
    >I can't expect my clients to have to install something at there end.

    First, always specify the operating system in asking a question like
    this. Thw web server can send any file type, and the client can
    choose to save it, but in some versions you have to configure the
    specific MIME type.

    Otherwise, did you try your own suggestion? Aspin.com should have
    download scripts and components to search for, as should most other
    ASP resource sites.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 31, 2005

  3. "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > huh? Any <A HREF...> should work to point to the file. The user will then
    > be prompted to save/open it....
    > What is it that you are trying to do different that makes you think you
    > need something more?
    >
    > --
    > Curt Christianson
    > Site & Scripts: http://www.Darkfalz.com
    > Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
    >

    > "Simon Wigzell" <> wrote in message
    >> Allowing download of file types that will display in a browser is no
    >> problem, but how about files types that don't display? I would like my
    >> clients to be able to click on a link that will start a download or any
    >> type of file. Try searching on "download"! Of course this has to be
    >> server side - I can't expect my clients to have to install something at
    >> there end. Thanks.

    Well, if the file is an image file it will open in another browser window,
    if it is a .zip file it will open winzip if that is installed, if it is a
    ..doc it will open in word...etc. I want a server side process that will just
    set off a download of the file, regardless of type. e.g. the link would be
    something like http://[DomainName]/Download.asp?FileName

    You can get tons of free Server Side upload code, why not download?

    Simon Wigzell, Feb 1, 2005
  4. You can look here:

    http://www.xefteri.com/articles/may082002/default.aspx

    This explains how to use the Response.AddHeader to put the "attachment" into
    the stream so that it does not just open the file based on the MIME mapping.

    Ben Miller

    Ben Miller [MSFT], Feb 3, 2005