Download tools

Simon Wigzell

Allowing download of file types that will display in a browser is no
problem, but how about files types that don't display? I would like my
clients to be able to click on a link that will start a download or any type
of file. Try searching on "download"! Of course this has to be server side -
I can't expect my clients to have to install something at there end. Thanks.

Jeff Cochran

Allowing download of file types that will display in a browser is no
problem, but how about files types that don't display? I would like my
clients to be able to click on a link that will start a download or any type
of file. Try searching on "download"! Of course this has to be server side -
I can't expect my clients to have to install something at there end.

First, always specify the operating system in asking a question like
this. Thw web server can send any file type, and the client can
choose to save it, but in some versions you have to configure the
specific MIME type.

Otherwise, did you try your own suggestion? Aspin.com should have
download scripts and components to search for, as should most other
ASP resource sites.

Jeff

Simon Wigzell

Curt_C said:
huh? Any <A HREF...> should work to point to the file. The user will then
be prompted to save/open it....
What is it that you are trying to do different that makes you think you
need something more?
Well, if the file is an image file it will open in another browser window,
if it is a .zip file it will open winzip if that is installed, if it is a
..doc it will open in word...etc. I want a server side process that will just
set off a download of the file, regardless of type. e.g. the link would be
something like http://[DomainName]/Download.asp?FileName

You can get tons of free Server Side upload code, why not download?

Ben Miller [MSFT]

You can look here:

http://www.xefteri.com/articles/may082002/default.aspx

This explains how to use the Response.AddHeader to put the "attachment" into
the stream so that it does not just open the file based on the MIME mapping.

Ben Miller