downloading file from asp.net to flash not working

Trapulo

Hi, I've a big trouble with an asp.net page.

Basically, the page has an swf that starts and downloads some data from an
other asp.net page. The application works well on my testing IIS 6, but when
I upload it on production server (an other IIS6), it cannot download
anything. The application is in ASP.NET 2.0.

The page with swf, the swf, and the page that renders data (as xml) are on
the same domain and same web site. The site has form authentication enabled,
as test server does.
On IIS log I read requests for page with xml data, and 200 as return code.

Swf doesn't receive anything.
If the flash points to a static xml file on same server, it can download it.

This is a nightmare.. someone can help me?

thanks

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Trapulo,

Thank you for posting.

As for the file downloading issue, I'm thinking whether it is the forms
authentication that prevent that xml rendering page from being accessed by
the flash on another page? Have you checked the application's authoriztion
setting to see whether the xml rendering page is protected by the forms
authentication. Also in IIS log, though it will return 200 , however, if
the page is protected by forms authenitation, there will exists a
redirection entry.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Trapulo

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Trapulo,

Thank you for posting.

Hi Steven, thank you for your assistance.
As for the file downloading issue, I'm thinking whether it is the forms
authentication that prevent that xml rendering page from being accessed by
the flash on another page? Have you checked the application's authoriztion
setting to see whether the xml rendering page is protected by the forms
authentication. Also in IIS log, though it will return 200 , however, if
the page is protected by forms authenitation, there will exists a
redirection entry.

I think is not a problem related to forms authentication, based on this
facts:
- same application, with same web.config, works on test server
- if I show, as debug, the path that flash is requesting, and I cut and
paste it from flash to IE address bar, I can see the xml without other
authentication
- same flash, on same server, can get an image from an other aspx page. The
flow is the same: flash makes a "get" to the server, the aspx page retrieves
data from a db (the image in this case) and writes them to the output
stream. If I have an authentication issue, I think that flash cannot
download the image from aspx too. Instead of this, the flash can download
the image from an aspx page, and it cannot download the xml from the other.
- IIS logs have only 200 records, and not other rows related redirection
- asp.net trace reports that the page creating the xml has been executed

This is very, very strange, and a real nightmare :(

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thank you for the response Trapulo,

So it is not the formsauthentication that cause the problem. I have one
suggestion, since the problem occurs when the flash try accessing the xml
file returned by another page, I think you can use some client-side script
which use XMLHTTP component to send request to that page to get the xml
stream. If that works, we can confirm that the problem is with the FLASH
application's internal http access component.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Trapulo

After a lot of debug, I solved.
The problem was this command:
Response.Cache.SetCacheability(System.Web.HttpCacheability.NoCache)

ONLY on production server, ONLY if flash runs on IE, ONLY if I call the page
from flash and not directly from IE, the output is not received.

note: the same application, on the same server, one year ago worked well...
:(

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Trapulo,

A bit unexpected that the problem be some env specific. Anyway, glad that
you've figured it out finally. If there is any other things we can help,
please also feel free to post here.