    if the connection is open, reopen it if needed, and continue the
    download without restarting from the beginning?

    Michele

    Michele Simionato, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Michele Simionato <> wrote:
    > I have a connection which is not 100% rock solid, so if I try
    > to download a large file (i.e. a Linux ISO image) chances are
    > that the connection will break. Is there a way to check periodically
    > if the connection is open, reopen it if needed, and continue the
    > download without restarting from the beginning?

    yes, use wget http://www.gnu.org/directory/wget.html
    or are you looking for a pure python solution?

    | Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |
    | __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |

    Radovan Garabik, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Michele Simionato

    Guest

    Michele Simionato wrote:
    > I have a connection which is not 100% rock solid, so if I try
    > to download a large file (i.e. a Linux ISO image) chances are
    > that the connection will break. Is there a way to check periodically
    > if the connection is open, reopen it if needed, and continue the
    > download without restarting from the beginning?

    What has this to do with python?

    Anyway I'm assuming linux since you mentioned it,
    so use wget or even better:
    rsync -P rsync://rsync.server.com/path/to/file file

    Pádraig.

    , Dec 16, 2003
  4. (Radovan Garabik) wrote in message news:<brmds0$4qqjm$-berlin.de>...
    > Michele Simionato <> wrote:
    > > I have a connection which is not 100% rock solid, so if I try
    > > to download a large file (i.e. a Linux ISO image) chances are
    > > that the connection will break. Is there a way to check periodically
    > > if the connection is open, reopen it if needed, and continue the
    > > download without restarting from the beginning?

    > yes, use wget http://www.gnu.org/directory/wget.html
    > or are you looking for a pure python solution?

    A pure Python solution would be preferable, indeed.

    Michele

    Michele Simionato, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Michele Simionato

    John Abel Guest

    If I remember rightly, there is python code for a resumable HTTP
    downloader in the Python Cookbook. I don't think it would take much
    work for it to handle FTP, too.

    Regards

    John

    John Abel, Dec 16, 2003