downloading long files

Michele Simionato

I have a connection which is not 100% rock solid, so if I try
to download a large file (i.e. a Linux ISO image) chances are
that the connection will break. Is there a way to check periodically
if the connection is open, reopen it if needed, and continue the
download without restarting from the beginning?

Michele

Radovan Garabik

Michele Simionato said:
I have a connection which is not 100% rock solid, so if I try
to download a large file (i.e. a Linux ISO image) chances are
that the connection will break. Is there a way to check periodically
if the connection is open, reopen it if needed, and continue the
download without restarting from the beginning?

yes, use wget http://www.gnu.org/directory/wget.html
or are you looking for a pure python solution?

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |

Padraig

Michele said:
I have a connection which is not 100% rock solid, so if I try
to download a large file (i.e. a Linux ISO image) chances are
that the connection will break. Is there a way to check periodically
if the connection is open, reopen it if needed, and continue the
download without restarting from the beginning?

What has this to do with python?

Anyway I'm assuming linux since you mentioned it,
so use wget or even better:
rsync -P rsync://rsync.server.com/path/to/file file

Pádraig.

John Abel

If I remember rightly, there is python code for a resumable HTTP
downloader in the Python Cookbook. I don't think it would take much
work for it to handle FTP, too.

Regards

John