    I was wondering how do you go about having a queue system for files so that
    people have to wait for a slot before downloading a file so that everyone
    does not try and grab it at once?

    NAZGUL, Sep 18, 2003

  2. NAZGUL

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:46:00 GMT, "NAZGUL" <> wrote:

    : I was wondering how do you go about having a queue system for files so that
    : people have to wait for a slot before downloading a file so that everyone
    : does not try and grab it at once?
    :

    Imagine CNN and Google having a queue for viewers! Mayhem! You're
    negating the purpose of the Internet if you want to queue. :)

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Sep 18, 2003

  3. NAZGUL

    Richard Guest

    NAZGUL wrote:

    > I was wondering how do you go about having a queue system for files so
    > that
    > people have to wait for a slot before downloading a file so that
    > everyone
    > does not try and grab it at once?

    If you're speaking of ftp stuff, you'd need a program to handle the number
    of simultaneous logins.
    if you have cpanel, look for "ftp manager", that will allow you to set the
    controls.

    Richard, Sep 18, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > I was wondering how do you go about having a queue system for files so that
    > people have to wait for a slot before downloading a file so that everyone
    > does not try and grab it at once?

    You'll need to assign an ID to each user that attempts a download, store
    that in the database, then have the page they're looking at refresh
    every so often to check whether they're able to download. You'll also
    need to consider what happens when your visitors leave without
    downloading the file because they can't be arsed to wait.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 18, 2003
  5. NAZGUL

    Chris Morris Guest

    "NAZGUL" <> writes:
    > I was wondering how do you go about having a queue system for files so that
    > people have to wait for a slot before downloading a file so that everyone
    > does not try and grab it at once?

    Have a script that locks a database table or another file, echos out
    the file for download after setting correct content-type headers, then
    unlocks the table. Anyone trying to download while the script is
    running will wait at the lock until the first script unlocks it
    (automatic on exit, in most systems).

    Not useful (at least, not without modification) if
    you want more than 1 but less than X simultaneous downloads, though.

    I'm not sure that it's particularly useful at all, though.

    --
    Chris

    Chris Morris, Sep 20, 2003