DPAPI Enterprise Services Example

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Bill Heckle, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. Bill Heckle

    Bill Heckle Guest

    I am trying to work through the sample from msdn, "How To Use DPAPI (User
    Store) from ASP.NET with Enterprise Services". I thought I had everything
    configured correctly. I tried to test the service and get the following
    error.(Sorry for encluding every line). I am confused as to what setting is
    incorrectly set. Additionally, the paragraph on giving asp.net access doesn't
    help me at all. Thanks for help, as I don't want to keep thrashing about. Any
    advice on where to read more about security in general is appreciated.

    Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied.
    granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
    ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or
    Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not
    impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity
    impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically
    IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

    To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,
    choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the
    appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes
    for the desired access.

    Source Error:
    Line 59: private void btnEncrypt_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    Line 60: {
    Line 61: DataProtectorComp dp = new DataProtectorComp();
    Line 62: try
    Line 63: {

    Source File: c:\documents and
    settings\bill\vswebcache\billfun\dpapiweb\webform1.aspx.cs Line: 61

    Stack Trace:

    [UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied.]
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32
    errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo) +0
    System.EnterpriseServices.Thunk.Proxy.CoCreateObject(Type serverType,
    Boolean bQuerySCInfo, Boolean& bIsAnotherProcess, String& uri) +581

    System.EnterpriseServices.ServicedComponentProxyAttribute.CreateInstance(Type
    serverType) +181

    System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServices.IsCurrentContextOK(Type
    serverType, Object[] props, Boolean bNewObj) +74
    DPAPIWeb.WebForm1.btnEncrypt_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
    c:\documents and settings\bill
    heckle\vswebcache\billfun\dpapiweb\webform1.aspx.cs:61

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
    Bill Heckle, Aug 24, 2004

  2. Looks like you are using a ServicedComponent in COM+? That may complicate
    things a little but you may need to give read/write access to whichever user
    you are running under (might be ASPNET, NETWORK SERVICE, or the defined
    identity in COM+) to your "\Document And
    Settings\{user}\ApplicationData\Crypto" directory.

    --
    - Paul Glavich
    Microsoft MVP - ASP.NET

    Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET], Aug 24, 2004

  3. Sorry, correction to my last post, the path to the directory is :-
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto

    or even just

    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

    I think may do the trick.

    --
    - Paul Glavich
    Microsoft MVP - ASP.NET

    "Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET]" <-NOSPAM> wrote in
    message news:...

    Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET], Aug 24, 2004
  4. Bill Heckle

    Bill Heckle Guest

    Paul,

    Thank you very much for responding. I tried changing the account that Com+
    used to activate the component. I switched it to my development account. I
    got a new error saying that the registry
    key,HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DPAPIComp.DataProtectorComp, could not be accessed. I
    looked at the permissions for the key and believe every account that matters
    has access. Obviously, I am wrong. Any thoughts would be helpful. Currently
    the following account and roles have access.
    Administrators,Application Test Center,aspnet_wp account(ASPNET),my
    development account,OWNER,DPAPIAccount(my original com+ activation account),
    local service,service,network,power users,system and users

    Thanks.

    Bill Heckle, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Just as a test, try giving Internet applications "Full Trust" via the
    machine policy in .Net framework configuration. (Start --> Control Panel -->
    Administrative Tools --> .Net framework config then Expand 'Runtime
    Security Policy' --> Machine --> Code Groups -> All Code --> Internet
    Zone --> Right click --> Properties --> Go to permissions set tab, select
    Full trust). By default, ASP.NET web apps only have limited access via this
    policy and certainly dont have "interop" permissions. It looks as though you
    might be getting denied access when trying to do interop.

    Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET], Aug 28, 2004
  6. Bill Heckle

    Martin Guest

    Hi Bill,

    I'm going through the same process, but am stuck at trying to start the
    service - I get error 5: access is denied.

    The local account I configured for this has Log on as batch job and log on
    locally rights.

    The service starts ok if I make the account a member of adminstrators, so
    that rules out code errors.

    Do you have any tips for me on this?

    Thanks in advance
    Martin