Dr. Dobbs Article

Andy Stone

I just received the latest DDJ which contained an article titled
"Databases & Dynamic Ruby Classes." I haven't had the chance to read
it (too busy), but it was good to see Ruby getting more exposure.
(Especially in a magazine such as DDJ)

Just an fyi for the group.

-andy

David Ross

Andy said:
I just received the latest DDJ which contained an article titled
"Databases & Dynamic Ruby Classes." I haven't had the chance to read
it (too busy), but it was good to see Ruby getting more exposure.
(Especially in a magazine such as DDJ)

Just an fyi for the group.

-andy
What Vol number, etc? Tell us if its a good article, thanks. ;)

David Ross

Logan Capaldo

Well I just read it. Pretty interesting. It was about using
method_missing to do DB updates (ie something.property =
something_else, update the DB at the key propety, etc.) and some
interesting stuff about storing ruby code in the database as opposed
to in the source. Pretty neat.

Lyndon Samson

To me, as a ruby slightly-post-newby, method_missing is a unique and
powerfull feature that makes ruby feel like a truely 'real' OO
language. That is message passing rather than method calls with
implicit this objects.

I love it! If only you could catch java.lang.NoSuchMethodError in the
callee rather than the caller...

Anders Engström

--3lcZGd9BuhuYXNfi

To me, as a ruby slightly-post-newby, method_missing is a unique and
powerfull feature that makes ruby feel like a truely 'real' OO
language. That is message passing rather than method calls with
implicit this objects.
=20
I love it! If only you could catch java.lang.NoSuchMethodError in the
callee rather than the caller...

Since java is a strongly typed language that won't happen :/ The method
must exist on the receiver. You're probably already aware of it, but you
can do something similar by using dynamic proxies in java. Check out
java.lang.reflect.Proxy and java.lang.reflect.InvocationHandler.

[snip]

//Anders

--=20
=2E Anders Engstr=F6m (e-mail address removed)
=2E http://www.gnejs.net PGP-Key: ED010E7F
=2E [Your mind is like an umbrella. It doesn't work unless you open it.] =
=20

--3lcZGd9BuhuYXNfi

--3lcZGd9BuhuYXNfi--