Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Apr 11)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Simon Brunning, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. QOTW: "I think my code is clearer, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm
    violently opposed to your code. I save violent opposition for really
    important matters like which text editor you use." - Roy Smith

    "You need to recursively subdivide the cake until you have a piece small
    enough to fit in your input buffer. Then the atomicity of the cake-ingestion
    operation will become apparent." - Scott David Daniels

    Various Python Meetup groups are meeting this week:
    http://python.meetup.com/

    wxPython 2.5.5.1 is out...
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...read/thread/7ca6358d54c9c617/84330473f542e5a6
    ... for those that don't hate it.
    http://fraca7.free.fr/blog/index.php?2005/04/04/10-a-word-about-guis

    A couple of nice cookbook recipes - check your docstring coverage, and let Python tell you what you meant to type.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/355731
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/409000

    Exceptions are't just for errors in Python.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...read/thread/925f0b16cf56c2ab/793e0ab436c91d48

    The martellibot's working for Google!
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...read/thread/c9d075e5f6b1f934/d6256652f5ffcc50

    Backup your del.icio.usly linked pages to Gmail.
    http://llimllib.f2o.org/blog/serve/entry/delbackup

    How to tell whether a wave function corresponds to bosons or fermions.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...read/thread/e9cce91f429bc540/d78c7eec409154a4
    No, I'm none the wiser, either. Still, some interesting algorithms in there.

    Rolling your own __deepcopy__.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...read/thread/41269228e1827a87/444ac776c4ffe00f

    IronPython is getting good coverage these days.
    http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160403713

    Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
    these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
    http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
    http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    marvelous daily python url
    http://www.pythonware.com/daily
    Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
    World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
    http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
    While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
    are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
    their results.

    For far, FAR more Python reading than any one mind should
    absorb, much of it quite interesting, several pages index
    much of the universe of Pybloggers.
    http://lowlife.jp/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/PythonProgrammersWeblog
    http://www.planetpython.org/
    http://mechanicalcat.net/pyblagg.html

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
    sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
    Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of intelligently summarizing
    action on the python-dev mailing list once every other week.
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

    The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
    http://www.python.org/pypi/

    The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
    to all sorts of Python resources.
    http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
    http://www.python.org/sigs/

    The Python Business Forum "further the interests of companies
    that base their business on ... Python."
    http://www.python-in-business.org

    Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
    match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
    subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
    http://www.pythonology.com/success

    The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
    Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
    responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
    http://www.python.org/psf/
    Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
    http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

    Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_usubject=weekly python patch

    Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
    http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
    http://python.faqts.com/

    The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
    interesting recipes.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

    Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
    http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
    http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
    http://python.de/backend.php
    For more, see
    http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

    The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
    and
    welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
    of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

    del.icio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
    It already aggregates quite a bit of Python intelligence.
    http://del.icio.us/tag/python

    *Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
    http://www.pyzine.com

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
    http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site=groups&group=comp.lang.python.*

    Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=python-url group:comp.lang.python*&start=0&scoring=d&
    http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
    or
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

    Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
    E-mail to <> should get through.

    To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
    (approximately), ask <> to subscribe. Mention
    "Python-URL!".

    -- The Python-URL! Team--

    Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
    sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.