Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Dec 2)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Cameron Laird, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. QOTW: "... why does Microsoft try so hard to protect its sources?"
    "To avoid embarrassment." -- Peter Maas and Grant Edwards
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=9a599152d8b23b54

    "Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from
    malice." -- Alex Martelli

    2.4 is final, buildable under Windows in at least a couple
    of ways, improved, ...
    http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/001657.html

    asyncore, Twisted, the Python core...--do you understand how
    they relate to TLS, serial-port usage, GUI-oriented event
    processing, and so on?
    http://groups.google.com/groups?th=752ebdb8b57fa3f3

    Ian Bicking and others describe the meaning of "Python 3000".
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=8f9b6a3959888f2b

    Reading without blocking is possible--with care.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=78654cfc06d2fbbe

    Josiah Carlson and Paul McGuire explain decorators.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?th=5bfb80b43887bc1f

    Nick Coghlan knows sick ways to spell "file".
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9

    Python works in Frontier.
    http://radio.weblogs.com/0100039/2004/11/30.html#a626

    Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
    these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
    http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
    http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    marvelous daily python url
    http://www.pythonware.com/daily
    Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
    World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
    http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
    While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
    are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
    their results.

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
    sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
    Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of intelligently summarizing
    action on the python-dev mailing list once every other week.
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

    The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
    http://www.python.org/pypi/

    The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
    to all sorts of Python resources.
    http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
    http://www.python.org/sigs/

    The Python Business Forum "further the interests of companies
    that base their business on ... Python."
    http://www.python-in-business.org

    Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
    match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
    subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
    http://www.pythonology.com/success

    The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
    Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
    responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
    http://www.python.org/psf/
    Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
    http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

    Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_usubject=weekly python patch

    Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
    http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
    http://python.faqts.com/

    The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
    interesting recipes.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

    Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
    http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
    http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
    http://python.de/backend.php
    For more, see
    http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

    The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
    and
    welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
    of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

    *Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
    http://www.pyzine.com

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
    http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site=groups&group=comp.lang.python.*

    Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
    http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/
    http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
    or
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

    Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
    E-mail to <> should get through.

    To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
    (approximately), ask <> to subscribe. Mention
    "Python-URL!".

    -- The Python-URL! Team--

    Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
    sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

    Cameron Laird, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Cameron Laird

    Robin Becker Guest

    Cameron Laird wrote:
    > QOTW: "... why does Microsoft try so hard to protect its sources?"

    > 2.4 is final, buildable under Windows in at least a couple
    > of ways, improved, ...
    > http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/001657.html
    >
    > asyncore, Twisted, the Python core...--do you understand how
    > they relate to TLS, serial-port usage, GUI-oriented event
    > processing, and so on?
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=752ebdb8b57fa3f3
    >
    > Ian Bicking and others describe the meaning of "Python 3000".
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=8f9b6a3959888f2b
    >
    > Reading without blocking is possible--with care.
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=78654cfc06d2fbbe
    >
    > Josiah Carlson and Paul McGuire explain decorators.
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=5bfb80b43887bc1f
    >
    > Nick Coghlan knows sick ways to spell "file".
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9
    >
    > Python works in Frontier.
    > http://radio.weblogs.com/0100039/2004/11/30.html#a626

    For some reason I can't seem to make use of the google links. When I use
    the above eg

    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9

    I get a not found google page with url
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9

    really wanted to spell file in a sickly manner :)

    --
    Robin Becker

    Robin Becker, Dec 2, 2004

  3. > For some reason I can't seem to make use of the google links. When I use
    > the above eg
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9
    >
    > I get a not found google page with url
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9
    >
    > really wanted to spell file in a sickly manner :)

    It seems Google recently redid their groups interface. By searching for
    "group:comp.lang.python Coghlan" on http://groups.google.com, I was able
    to find the probable post (Sort by Date, titled "Restricted Execution on
    the cheap", about four down)

    I'm sorry I'm not able to give a direct URL, but it seems they've
    switched over to a horrendously long, stateful URL system which doesn't
    lend itself to direct linkage.

    Rocco Moretti, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Cameron Laird

    David Fraser Guest

    Robin Becker wrote:
    > Cameron Laird wrote:
    >
    >> QOTW: "... why does Microsoft try so hard to protect its sources?"

    >> 2.4 is final, buildable under Windows in at least a couple of
    >> ways, improved, ...
    >> http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/001657.html
    >>
    >> asyncore, Twisted, the Python core...--do you understand how
    >> they relate to TLS, serial-port usage, GUI-oriented event
    >> processing, and so on?
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?th=752ebdb8b57fa3f3
    >>
    >> Ian Bicking and others describe the meaning of "Python 3000".
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=8f9b6a3959888f2b
    >>
    >> Reading without blocking is possible--with care.
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=78654cfc06d2fbbe
    >>
    >> Josiah Carlson and Paul McGuire explain decorators.
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?th=5bfb80b43887bc1f
    >>
    >> Nick Coghlan knows sick ways to spell "file".
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9
    >>
    >> Python works in Frontier.
    >> http://radio.weblogs.com/0100039/2004/11/30.html#a626

    > For some reason I can't seem to make use of the google links. When I use
    > the above eg
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9
    >
    > I get a not found google page with url
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9
    >
    > really wanted to spell file in a sickly manner :)

    Apparently this is due to a Google "upgrade"
    See the slashdot story:
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/02/149210&tid=217&tid=95

    The important thing is that you (or I) can still access them at
    groups.google.co.uk:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9

    etc

    Maybe the URLs on the web page could be adjusted?

    David

    David Fraser, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Cameron Laird

    David Fraser Guest

    Rocco Moretti wrote:

    >> For some reason I can't seem to make use of the google links. When I
    >> use the above eg
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9
    >>
    >> I get a not found google page with url
    >> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?frame=right&th=e562a771d1c827c9
    >>
    >> really wanted to spell file in a sickly manner :)

    > It seems Google recently redid their groups interface. By searching for
    > "group:comp.lang.python Coghlan" on http://groups.google.com, I was able
    > to find the probable post (Sort by Date, titled "Restricted Execution on
    > the cheap", about four down)

    Nicely, google seems to have reverted their main google groups page to
    the original system, and left the new one at groups-beta.google.com

    > I'm sorry I'm not able to give a direct URL, but it seems they've
    > switched over to a horrendously long, stateful URL system which doesn't
    > lend itself to direct linkage.

    Doesn't seem stateful to me, just has different thread / message ids to
    the old system:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...429a2b05ce0/2c1679d365ffe9dd#2c1679d365ffe9dd

    The syntax is thread/$threadid/$messageid#$messageid
    At least for me, these URLs are transferable between computers / browsers

    You can also access the message directly:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/2c1679d365ffe9dd

    David

    David Fraser, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Cameron Laird

    Guest

    Re: Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Dec 2)

    David Fraser wrote:
    > Rocco Moretti wrote:

    <snip>

    > > I'm sorry I'm not able to give a direct URL, but it seems they've
    > > switched over to a horrendously long, stateful URL system which

    doesn't
    > > lend itself to direct linkage.

    > Doesn't seem stateful to me, just has different thread / message ids

    > the old system:

    Using different message IDs is bad.
    Usenet already has a header for this: Message ID.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...429a2b05ce0/2c1679d365ffe9dd#2c1679d365ffe9dd

    > The syntax is thread/$threadid/$messageid#$messageid
    > At least for me, these URLs are transferable between computers /

    browsers

    But if Google ever moves away from maintaining a Usenet archive, then
    any links involving Google IDs will be broken. This happened with
    DejaNews and will happen with links to old URLs with the GG1 (Google
    Groups 1) system (unless they maintain continuity). Even then, all was
    not lost because you could extract the Usenet message ID from the URL.
    It looks like you can't do this with the new GG2 message references.

    > You can also access the message directly:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/2c1679d365ffe9dd

    I would also *always* add the Usenet message ID.
    This timeproofs it against any future changes.

    Christopher

    , Dec 4, 2004