Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Dec 7)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Cameron Laird, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. QOTW: "... and to my utter surprise it worked." - Andrew Nagel on
    his move from wxPython to programming Tkinter in desperation

    "Python has more web application frameworks than keywords." - Skip
    Montanaro (but probably others going back years)

    Frithiof Andreas Jensen writes frankly on use of SNMP and netconf:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/662032bf92670fd7

    Perhaps your application needs something like "ping". Several
    distinct ways to achieve that exist:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/ced60d60b5942f1f/

    You're going to hear about reddit.com, and about how it's been
    REimplemented in Python. Here's a fraction of the commentary:
    http://reddit.com/blog/2005/12/night-of-living-python.html
    http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/rewritingreddit

    Long discussions about Python documentation lead to no conclusion
    this commentator knows how to summarize:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/767470cb3cbc24d5/
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/94e2e5244a90a274/

    aum's pygene genetic-algorithm solver "includes full api
    documentation, and an implementation of the travelling
    salesman problem ...":
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/9901fe0f886893d6/

    Jibes against the lambda-clingers lead eventually to serious
    questions of style in regard to variable namespacing,
    lifespan, cleanup, and so on:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/ad0e15cb6b8f2c32/

    To say anything useful about IDEs apart from that one needs to
    try each on for personal fit seems *very* difficult:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/eca26b6e6617a591/

    Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
    these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
    http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
    http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    marvelous daily python url
    http://www.pythonware.com/daily
    Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
    World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
    http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
    While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
    are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
    their results.

    For far, FAR more Python reading than any one mind should
    absorb, much of it quite interesting, several pages index
    much of the universe of Pybloggers.
    http://lowlife.jp/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/PythonProgrammersWeblog
    http://www.planetpython.org/
    http://mechanicalcat.net/pyblagg.html

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
    sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Steve Bethard, Tim Lesher, and Tony Meyer continue the marvelous
    tradition early borne by Andrew Kuchling, Michael Hudson and Brett
    Cannon of intelligently summarizing action on the python-dev mailing
    list once every other week.
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

    The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
    http://www.python.org/pypi/

    The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
    to all sorts of Python resources.
    http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
    http://www.python.org/sigs/

    Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
    match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
    subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
    http://www.pythonology.com/success

    The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
    Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
    responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
    http://www.python.org/psf/
    Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
    http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

    Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_usubject=weekly python patch

    Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
    http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
    http://python.faqts.com/

    The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
    interesting recipes.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

    Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
    http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
    http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
    http://python.de/backend.php
    For more, see
    http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

    The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
    and
    welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
    of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

    del.icio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
    It already aggregates quite a bit of Python intelligence.
    http://del.icio.us/tag/python

    *Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
    http://www.pyzine.com

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
    http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site=groups&group=comp.lang.python.*

    Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=python-url group:comp.lang.python*&start=0&scoring=d&
    http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
    or
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python
    There is *not* an RSS for "Python-URL!"--at least not yet. Arguments
    for and against are occasionally entertained.

    Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
    E-mail to <> should get through.

    To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
    (approximately), ask <> to subscribe. Mention
    "Python-URL!".

    -- The Python-URL! Team--

    Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
    sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

    Cameron Laird, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Cameron Laird, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Cameron Laird

    Guest

    Cameron> In article <>,
    Cameron> I reported:

    >> "Python has more web application frameworks than keywords." - Skip
    >> Montanaro (but probably others going back years)

    Cameron> Incorrect. Thanks to Fredrik Lundh ...

    Yeah, I wondered about that. I was only parroting what I'd seen in Harald's
    post. I just couldn't remember who'd said it.

    Skip

    , Dec 9, 2005
  4. skip wrote:

    > >> "Python has more web application frameworks than keywords." - Skip
    > >> Montanaro (but probably others going back years)

    > Cameron> Incorrect. Thanks to Fredrik Lundh ...
    >
    > Yeah, I wondered about that. I was only parroting what I'd seen in Harald's
    > post. I just couldn't remember who'd said it.

    the oldest reference I have is from june 2004:

    http://online.effbot.org/2004_06_01_archive.htm#europython-1

    cheers /F

    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 10, 2005