Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (May 3)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Cameron Laird, May 3, 2004.

  1. QOTW: "If a keyboard binding doesn't work as you expect it to, it's
    usually because focus is somewhere else. When in doubt, add a
    widget.focus_set() call to the appropriate location." -- Fredrik Lundh

    "I've found this newsgroup most useful for regular doses of 'Pythonic'
    Zen -- the progression from lumpy new-to-the-language code to smooth
    idiomatic code, which it seems is best learnt by osmosis and
    experience." -- James Kew

    Are conventional computers accurate to a millisecond? Precise
    within a microsecond? What do these terms *mean*? Grant Edwards,
    Knio, and others relate their experiences
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=f749b067884206db

    Mark McEahern backs Gustavo Niemeyer in his presentation of
    an engaging Closure recipe.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=b415153adf49540b

    Oleg Paraschenko exhibits a "complete Python Tkinter sample
    application for a long operation". He uses threading to keep
    from freezing the GUI
    http://uucode.com/texts/pylongopgui/pyguiapp.html

    John Hunter gives the one-paragraph genesis of matplotlib, AND a
    concrete comparison of Matlab and Numeric white noise, while Colin
    J. Williams illustrates improved documentation for PyMatrix
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=bbe6d23ae72c636f

    Do you want to contribute to the second volume of Python Success
    Stories?
    http://groups.google.com/groups?th=bb67015324e512bb

    Measurement invariably is provocative. beliavsky measures a few
    Numeric vs. Fortran performance comparisons
    http://groups.google.com/groups?th=525bc03b9739dccf

    Scott David Daniels explains how his simple Data class helps him
    be more productive in interactive work
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=5c326de1818bac39

    PyLinda makes distributed computing pretty (but slow--slower than
    technically required?)
    http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~aw/pylinda

    Martin von Loewis' minutes from the most recent PSF meeting are public
    http://www.python.org/psf/records/members/minutes-2004-03-25.html

    Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
    these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
    http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
    http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    marvelous daily python url
    http://www.pythonware.com/daily
    Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
    World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
    http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
    While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
    are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
    their results.

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
    sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
    Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of intelligently summarizing
    action on the python-dev mailing list once every other week.
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

    The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
    http://www.python.org/pypi/

    The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
    to all sorts of Python resources.
    http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
    http://www.python.org/sigs/

    The Python Business Forum "further the interests of companies
    that base their business on ... Python."
    http://www.python-in-business.org

    The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
    Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
    responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
    http://www.python.org/psf/
    Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
    http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

    Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
    http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
    http://python.faqts.com/

    The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
    interesting recipes.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

    Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
    http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
    http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
    http://python.de/backend.php
    For more, see
    http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

    The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
    and
    welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
    of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

    *Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
    http://www.pyzine.com

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
    http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site=groups&group=comp.lang.python.*

    Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
    http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/
    http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
    or
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

    Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
    E-mail to <> should get through.

    To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
    (approximately), ask <> to subscribe. Mention
    "Python-URL!".

    -- The Python-URL! Team--

    Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
    sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

    Cameron Laird, May 3, 2004

  2. Cameron Laird wrote:
    > PyLinda makes distributed computing pretty (but slow--slower than
    > technically required?)
    > http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~aw/pylinda

    I'm glad you think it's pretty! It might be slow at the moment but it'll get
    faster. I'd rather it worked and was slow, than was broken and fast :)

    I certainly know that my Mandelbrot fractal generator is horrendously
    slow... but it does get quicker the more computers you add, which is a
    start!

    If anyone out there has taken a look at it and has any suggestions then I'm
    all ears. I'm currently trying to think of a good way to profile it for
    bottle necks.

    Andrew

    (PyLinda 0.2 can be found at http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~aw/pylinda)

    --
    Quiet! You'll miss the humorous conclusion

    Andrew Wilkinson, May 4, 2004