Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (May 3)

Cameron Laird

QOTW: "If a keyboard binding doesn't work as you expect it to, it's
usually because focus is somewhere else. When in doubt, add a
widget.focus_set() call to the appropriate location." -- Fredrik Lundh

"I've found this newsgroup most useful for regular doses of 'Pythonic'
Zen -- the progression from lumpy new-to-the-language code to smooth
idiomatic code, which it seems is best learnt by osmosis and
experience." -- James Kew

Are conventional computers accurate to a millisecond? Precise
within a microsecond? What do these terms *mean*? Grant Edwards,
Knio, and others relate their experiences
http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=f749b067884206db

Mark McEahern backs Gustavo Niemeyer in his presentation of
an engaging Closure recipe.
http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=b415153adf49540b

Oleg Paraschenko exhibits a "complete Python Tkinter sample
application for a long operation". He uses threading to keep
from freezing the GUI
http://uucode.com/texts/pylongopgui/pyguiapp.html

John Hunter gives the one-paragraph genesis of matplotlib, AND a
concrete comparison of Matlab and Numeric white noise, while Colin
J. Williams illustrates improved documentation for PyMatrix
http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=bbe6d23ae72c636f

Do you want to contribute to the second volume of Python Success
Stories?
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=bb67015324e512bb

Measurement invariably is provocative. beliavsky measures a few
Numeric vs. Fortran performance comparisons
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=525bc03b9739dccf

Scott David Daniels explains how his simple Data class helps him
be more productive in interactive work
http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=5c326de1818bac39

PyLinda makes distributed computing pretty (but slow--slower than
technically required?)
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~aw/pylinda

Martin von Loewis' minutes from the most recent PSF meeting are public
http://www.python.org/psf/records/members/minutes-2004-03-25.html

Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
these pages:

Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
center of Pythonia
http://www.python.org
Notice especially the master FAQ
http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
marvelous daily python url
http://www.pythonware.com/daily
Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
their results.

comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of intelligently summarizing
action on the python-dev mailing list once every other week.
http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
http://www.python.org/pypi/

The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
to all sorts of Python resources.
http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
mailing lists
http://www.python.org/sigs/

The Python Business Forum "further the interests of companies
that base their business on ... Python."
http://www.python-in-business.org

The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
http://www.python.org/psf/
Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

Python FAQTS
http://python.faqts.com/

The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
interesting recipes.
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
http://python.de/backend.php
For more, see
http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
SourceForge reincarnation.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
(e-mail address removed) and (e-mail address removed)
welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

*Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
http://www.pyzine.com

Archive probing tricks of the trade:
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site=groups&group=comp.lang.python.*

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/
http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
or
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
E-mail to <[email protected]> should get through.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
(approximately), ask <[email protected]> to subscribe. Mention
"Python-URL!".

-- The Python-URL! Team--

Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

Andrew Wilkinson

Cameron said:
PyLinda makes distributed computing pretty (but slow--slower than
technically required?)
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~aw/pylinda

I'm glad you think it's pretty! It might be slow at the moment but it'll get
faster. I'd rather it worked and was slow, than was broken and fast :)

I certainly know that my Mandelbrot fractal generator is horrendously
slow... but it does get quicker the more computers you add, which is a
start!

If anyone out there has taken a look at it and has any suggestions then I'm
all ears. I'm currently trying to think of a good way to profile it for
bottle necks.

Andrew

(PyLinda 0.2 can be found at http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~aw/pylinda)