Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Oct 4)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ville Vainio, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. Ville Vainio

    Ville Vainio Guest

    QOTW: "...then we get a signal through, then various miracles occur, and
    the conclusion is, 'You mean it only takes thirteen lines of code to do
    that? Our software folks said it's not possible.'
    Cameron Laird, on his typical experience with industrial automation projects

    "In fact what you'd really like is a 'resumption' object created by raising
    the exception, that you can pass control to at any time, sort of like
    yielding from a generator. Maybe you're getting deja vu now, since this is
    basically what Stackless Python continuations were."
    Paul Rubin, on the idea of resumable exceptions

    Marco Aschwanden and others weigh the virtues of the commercial Python
    IDEs WingIDE and Komodo.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=

    Thomas wonders about the speed of getting a list of directories via
    os.listdir() and os.path.isdir(), and gets suggestions for interesting
    platform specific optimizations.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=

    Jacek Generowicz is looking for a metaclass that would allow
    introducing several methods with the same name in a class, spawning a
    long and educational thread about metaclasses and learning a simpler
    way of achieving the goal using the upcoming decorator syntax.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=

    Bishara Gabriel publishes a proposal aiming to introduce Python and
    object oriented approach to the realm of social sciences.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=

    Srijit Kumar Bhadra posts a version of the same program using
    PythonNet, IronPython and Boo, showcasing the similarity in the way
    code is written.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=

    Connelly Barnes has written "htmldata", a module that can convert html
    documents to basic Python data structures and back.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=

    Martin Maney relays information about the Python slant of Ubuntu,
    the Debian-derivative that has been gathering lots of users and
    attention even before the official release.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=cjmc42$420$14.net

    Wolfgang Keller can't find the libraries he needs for industrial
    control applications. A discussion about the sorry state of software
    for industrial control in general, and the suitability of Python in
    particular ensues. People actually seem to have plans for improving
    the situation.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=joztfie8fghq.fdfzxi3urxbg$

    Alia Khouri needs to "sell" Python to his company.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=

    Andrew Kuchling would like to see the focus of Python development
    moving away from hacking the interpreter and towards improving the
    standard library.
    http://www.amk.ca/diary/archives/cat_python.html#003382

    Paul Rubin, Nick Craig-Wood, et al. exhibit experts' thoughts on
    sorting and memory use.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=b73a0c321d8c4c5b

    Larry Bates argues that we shouldn't curtail the life of
    "debugging" code. Steve Holden, Ian Parker, and others provide
    examples, and consider concrete uses of assert() and __debug__.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=aaf241b357c6f1b

    Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
    these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
    http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
    http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    marvelous daily python url
    http://www.pythonware.com/daily
    Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
    World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
    http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
    While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
    are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
    their results.

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
    sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
    Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of intelligently summarizing
    action on the python-dev mailing list once every other week.
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

    The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
    http://www.python.org/pypi/

    The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
    to all sorts of Python resources.
    http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
    http://www.python.org/sigs/

    The Python Business Forum "further the interests of companies
    that base their business on ... Python."
    http://www.python-in-business.org

    Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
    match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
    subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
    http://www.pythonology.com/success

    The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
    Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
    responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
    http://www.python.org/psf/
    Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
    http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

    Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_usubject=weekly python patch

    Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
    http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
    http://python.faqts.com/

    The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
    interesting recipes.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

    Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
    http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
    http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
    http://python.de/backend.php
    For more, see
    http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

    The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
    and
    welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
    of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

    *Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
    http://www.pyzine.com

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
    http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site=groups&group=comp.lang.python.*

    Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
    http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/
    http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
    or
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

    Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
    E-mail to <> should get through.

    To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
    (approximately), ask <> to subscribe. Mention
    "Python-URL!".

    -- The Python-URL! Team--

    Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
    sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

    Ville Vainio, Oct 4, 2004

  2. Miscellaneous personal prejudices (was: Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Oct 4))

    In article <cjsh6t$m6u$>,
    Ville Vainio <> wrote:
    .
    [lots of other important
    and exciting material]
    .
    .
    > Jacek Generowicz is looking for a metaclass that would allow
    > introducing several methods with the same name in a class, spawning a
    > long and educational thread about metaclasses and learning a simpler
    > way of achieving the goal using the upcoming decorator syntax.
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=

    .
    .
    .
    > Srijit Kumar Bhadra posts a version of the same program using
    > PythonNet, IronPython and Boo, showcasing the similarity in the way
    > code is written.
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=

    .
    .
    .
    > control applications. A discussion about the sorry state of software
    > for industrial control in general, and the suitability of Python in
    > particular ensues. People actually seem to have plans for improving

    .
    .
    .
    > Andrew Kuchling would like to see the focus of Python development
    > moving away from hacking the interpreter and towards improving the
    > standard library.
    > http://www.amk.ca/diary/archives/cat_python.html#003382

    .
    .
    .
    Magazines have definite appetites for, among other things,
    articles of the "What's new in Release 2.x and how to make
    best use of it" and "X-ing with three different technologies:
    concrete examples of good style" sorts.

    I feel responsible for escalating the pugnacity of the process-
    control thread. That adds to my responsibility to clarify: FAR
    more than any narrow technical complaints about the software of
    industrial automation I have, I'm ready to take over as dictator
    and change the *approach* of the vendors. It's not so much that
    I think the applications and libraries are bad, as that they're
    senselessly closed and ludicrously misdocumented. In general.
    In my opinion.

    Finally, AMK is soooooooo right. His statement is so perfect,
    even I can't find anything to add to it.

    Cameron Laird, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Ville Vainio

    Dan Perl Guest

    Re: Miscellaneous personal prejudices (was: Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Oct 4))

    My question is:

    "What do I have to say to get into the QOTW?"
    Dan Perl, on his own personal prejudices

    "Ville Vainio" <> wrote in message
    > QOTW: "...then we get a signal through, then various miracles occur, and
    > the conclusion is, 'You mean it only takes thirteen lines of code to do
    > that? Our software folks said it's not possible.'
    > Cameron Laird, on his typical experience with industrial automation
    > projects
    >
    > "In fact what you'd really like is a 'resumption' object created by
    > raising
    > the exception, that you can pass control to at any time, sort of like
    > yielding from a generator. Maybe you're getting deja vu now, since this
    > is
    > basically what Stackless Python continuations were."
    > Paul Rubin, on the idea of resumable exceptions

    I couldn't resist.

    Dan Perl, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Ville Vainio

    Peter Otten Guest

    Dan Perl wrote:

    > "What do I have to say to get into the QOTW?"
    > Dan Perl, on his own personal prejudices

    If it were predictable, wouldn't it be boring?

    Peter

    Peter Otten, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Ville Vainio

    Ville Vainio Guest

    Re: Miscellaneous personal prejudices (was: Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Oct 4))

    Dan> "What do I have to say to get into the QOTW?"

    Change your last name?

    --
    Ville Vainio http://tinyurl.com/2prnb

    Ville Vainio, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Ville Vainio

    Peter Otten Guest

    Ville Vainio wrote:

    > Dan> "What do I have to say to get into the QOTW?"
    >
    > Change your last name?

    Or his first name? Damn Perl...

    Peter

    Peter Otten, Oct 5, 2004
  7. Ville Vainio

    Dan Python Guest

    Re: Miscellaneous personal prejudices (was: Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Oct 4))

    Done

    Dan Python, Oct 5, 2004
  8. Ville Vainio

    Peter Otten Guest

    Dan Python wrote:

    > Done

    +1 NCOTW (Name change of the week :)

    Peter Otten, Oct 5, 2004
  9. Re: Miscellaneous personal prejudices

    Dan Python <> wrote:

    [ quoting reordered ]

    > "Ville Vainio" <> wrote in message

    >> Dan> "What do I have to say to get into the QOTW?"
    >>
    >> Change your last name?
    >>

    > Done

    Don't do that.

    Sam Ruby is working on Pie-thon (Python on Parrot):
    http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2004/10/02/Pyrate

    No joke. But:
    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/04/01/parrot.htm

    SCNR, leo
    --
    Oct 05 18:53:58 lux siggen[21694]: reading next random sig
    Oct 05 18:53:58 lux siggen[21694]: Kernel panic: out of signatures

    Leopold Toetsch, Oct 5, 2004
  10. Ville Vainio

    Dan Perl Guest

    Re: Miscellaneous personal prejudices

    > No joke. But:
    > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/04/01/parrot.htm

    That one is excellent. It's the first time I've seen it.

    Yeah, there is a good reason they have the date in the URL.

    Dan Perl, Oct 5, 2004
  11. Re: Miscellaneous personal prejudices

    Peter Otten wrote:
    > Dan Python wrote:
    >

    >>Done

    > +1 NCOTW (Name change of the week :)

    Hardly seems fair... if you or I did it there would be
    all manner of rude comments about the phallic connotations
    of our new moniker... ;-)

    -Peter

    Peter L Hansen, Oct 6, 2004