Drag 'n Drop support for custom asp.net catalogpart/catalogzone.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by ArnoB, Feb 25, 2009.

  1. ArnoB

    ArnoB Guest

    Hi all,

    I want to implement drag 'n drop functionality to take a webpart from the
    asp.net webpart catalog and add it to the webzone I drop it on. I understand
    I shoud inherit some baseclasses and implement some control of my own. Now
    i'm looking for some example-code but can't find it anywhere.

    I basically want to implement the way webparts are added like in igoogle,
    dropthings.com, netvibes.com
    Almost every site on internet what uses webparts/gadgets uses this
    functionality. I can't believe this doesn't exist for asp.net webparts yet.

    I hope someone can provide me with some sample codebits to see how this
    should be achieved.

    Thanks,

    Arno

    ArnoB, Feb 25, 2009

  2. ArnoB

    lee atkinson Guest

    http://www.codeplex.com/dropthings

    On 25/02/2009 11:35, in article
    , "ArnoB"

    lee atkinson, Feb 26, 2009

  3. ArnoB

    ArnoB Guest

    Well, dropthings isn't using the asp.net webparts and webparts-catalog, they
    build their own framework. It looks pretty good though, but for me it's
    useless atm.

    I already found some article in the book ASP.NET 2.0 Unleashed, they made a
    dragdropwebpartcatalogpart. I implemented this and it works, however... I
    run in some problems:

    1. When using the ajax scriptmanager and updatepanel, the dag 'n drop is
    executed twice. Seems like

    if
    (!Page.ClientScript.IsClientScriptIncludeRegistered("DragDropCatalogZone"))
    {
    Page.ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptInclude("DragDropCatalogZone",
    Page.ResolveUrl("~/js/DragDropCatalogZone.js"));
    Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(typeof(DragDropCatalogZone),
    "DragDropCatalogZone", startupScript, true);
    }

    should be rewritten for the issue with the updatepanel. I think I've to
    register the script at the Ajax scriptmanager, but i'm not sure about this
    and how to do this from the inherited CatalogZone class.

    2. When using the July 2007 CTP webpartmanager I get the javascript-error:
    WebPart_OnDragEnd is not defined. I need this for firefox/safari
    compatibility. Seems like my javascript file needs to be updated at some
    point.

    My test project is here and has a 'Working.aspx' and 'NotWorking.aspx' (the
    last one has updatepanel, scriptmanager and CTP WebPartZones and
    WebPartManager):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=51eaeaf8d9f870de36df4e8dca141969e04e75f6e8ebb871

    Can somebody help me out with this, if I got it working i'm willin to upload
    this for other users reference...

    Thanks,

    Arno

    ArnoB, Feb 26, 2009