DRAW 1280, 1024

Benjohn Barnes

On 9 Sep 2006, at 19:12, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote about tcl/tk

Thanks for this pointer - I'll have a look at tcl/tc too, although it
seemed like a lot to get a little thing done last time I had a play.
I think it is part of OS X by default.

Cheers,
Benj

Benjohn Barnes

On 9 Sep 2006, at 10:36, Martin DeMello wrote about RubyGame

Thanks very much for the examples and pointer to Rubygame - I'll give
it a good look.

Cheers,
Benj

Benjohn Barnes

On 9 Sep 2006, at 10:16, Chad Perrin wrote:

*snip*
If you're willing to try a different language, there's always
Logo. In
particular, I like UCBLogo (which, unlike other Logo versions,
implements macros along with the rest of the Lispishness of the
language). It has a very friendly functional syntax, has an excellent
lineup of native graphics procedures (aka "functions), and is the
example language used for an excellent trilogy of computer science
books
that are available free, online.
*snip*

I'll definitely give this a look. Logo was my first language, and I
had a lot of fun with it. It would be nice to see what I can do with
it these days.

Cheers,
Benj

Benjohn Barnes

On 9 Sep 2006, at 16:45, Paul Lutus wrote:
*snip*
But yes, you would have to do that, at least once. You would have
to so that
because, apart from Logo, there are few ready-built graphic
facilities such
as you are describing. You would have to write the program, then
you would
have to integrate a graphic interface. And in the worst case, you
would
have to perform the second step for each platform of interest.
*snip*

:) That's okay, I'm a programmer; I don't mind doing some work. It
should certainly be possible to build a simple abstraction that can
be implemented for any given platform. I'm surprised that it's not
been done already, and everyone here is giving lots of useful advice
for either something similar, or for putting it together.

Cheers,
Benj

Benjohn Barnes

But (IMHO) you shouldn't be using irb anyway. You should be using a
user
entry event loop that evaluates the user's entries with "eval".

That would make sense if I was building an application that did
drawing and made use of Ruby as the drawing description scripting
language. That's not really what I want though. I want a very simple
library for drawing. One that I can use from a stand alone program
should I wish, but also use easily from irb.

Cheers,
Benj