Drawable area in a window

sgeos

I'm trying write a three/four layer application:
Top level- applet/window wrapper
Mid-top level- unchanging applet/window framework
Mid level- main loop (crash recovery, frame rate throttle)
Low level- base application

The top level instantiates the base application
and passes it into the framework where it runs.
I've more or less completed an applet version,
but I'm having trouble with the windowed version.

I'd like to:
A) Create a window
B) Create a drawable area in that window
C) Extract a Graphics2D context from the drawable area
D) Pass that context to the base application

Can this be done? From what I can tell, Canvas requires
some sort of backward overridden paint() function to be
useful- and that isn't very useful. Should I be looking
at something else or am I going to have to shoehorn
paint() to get this to work?

FWIW, I want to provide graphical feedback to method
invocations in BlueJ.

-Brendan