Drawable area in a window

Discussion in 'Java' started by sgeos, Nov 7, 2006.

  1. sgeos

    sgeos Guest

    I'm trying write a three/four layer application:
    Top level- applet/window wrapper
    Mid-top level- unchanging applet/window framework
    Mid level- main loop (crash recovery, frame rate throttle)
    Low level- base application

    The top level instantiates the base application
    and passes it into the framework where it runs.
    I've more or less completed an applet version,
    but I'm having trouble with the windowed version.

    I'd like to:
    A) Create a window
    B) Create a drawable area in that window
    C) Extract a Graphics2D context from the drawable area
    D) Pass that context to the base application

    Can this be done? From what I can tell, Canvas requires
    some sort of backward overridden paint() function to be
    useful- and that isn't very useful. Should I be looking
    at something else or am I going to have to shoehorn
    paint() to get this to work?

    FWIW, I want to provide graphical feedback to method
    invocations in BlueJ.

    -Brendan
    sgeos, Nov 7, 2006