Drawing boxes on linux console with Curses::UI

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by lowth.chris@googlemail.com, Dec 11, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I am using the "Curses::UI" module to write an application that will
    run on the linux console.

    When I draw widgets on the screen, the borders are drawn with plus
    signs, hyphens and the "pipe" character. I'd like them to be drawn
    instead with the more solid looking characters that applications like
    "ntsysv" (a "Newt" application) uses, but cant work out how to do this.

    When I run the perl code via a "putty" SSH client, then I get solid
    lines. When I run "ntsysv" on the console, I get solid lines (so the
    console must be capable of using them), but when I run the perl code on
    the console I get the nastier-looking lines.

    Any clues on what I need to do to fix this?

    I have TERM=linux and LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 set in the environment.

    This is Fedora core 2 with perl 5.8.3.

    Thanks.
    Chris

    , Dec 11, 2006

    Benway wrote:

    > Try running this command prior to running your perl application on
    > the console.
    >
    > echo -e \\033%@
    >
    > If it works just add some code to /etc/bashrc or somewhere in
    > /etc/profile.d etc... like:
    >
    > if [ ${TERM} = "console" ]
    > then
    > echo -e \\033%@
    > fi

    Thanks for the suggestion; sadly though, it doesnt seem to make any
    difference.
    Out of interest - where do you get this sequence from, is there a
    document somewhere that describes all the possible codes [that's more
    of a linux question than perl, I guess]?

    Chris

    , Dec 11, 2006