Drawing lines, pixels, circles with DHTML/Ajax/ActiveX

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by jason.m.ho@gmail.com, Oct 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,
    I am writing a no-plugin networked Sketchpad program (DHTML,
    Comet/Ajax). Because I am trying to avoid using Flash or Java Applet, I
    rendered my strokes at first with the wz_jsgraphics library
    (http://www.walterzorn.com/jsgraphics/jsgraphics_e.htm). It turned out
    that that was too inefficient, and if you drew too many things on the
    screen firefox would crash. So I looked into SVG for Firefox. This
    works great because it is rendering a vector drawing (instead of many
    absolutely positioned div elements). The problem is that IE doesn't
    support SVGs.

    My question:
    Is there something I can use with IE that can draw
    lines/pixels/circles/etc. without needing plugins? Any ActiveX stuff I
    can do? My goal is to check if the browser supports SVG. If it doesn't,
    it will render with Active X, or whatever solution there is for IE.
    Anyone know of anything I can look into?

    Thanks,
    Jason Ho

    , Oct 9, 2006

  2. wrote:

    [snip]
    > Is there something I can use with IE that can draw
    > lines/pixels/circles/etc. without needing plugins?

    [/snip]

    Take a look at <url:http://sourceforge.net/projects/excanvas>
    And one of the contributors
    <url:http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/chart/demo.html> and
    <url:http://me.eae.net/>

    Regards

    Julian Turner

    Julian Turner, Oct 9, 2006

  3. Jeremy Guest

    Julian Turner wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >> Is there something I can use with IE that can draw
    >> lines/pixels/circles/etc. without needing plugins?

    > [/snip]
    >
    > Take a look at <url:http://sourceforge.net/projects/excanvas>
    > And one of the contributors
    > <url:http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/chart/demo.html> and
    > <url:http://me.eae.net/>
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Julian Turner

    That's amazing. Probably the single most useful little gem I've seen in
    a while! Thanks for posting that link.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Oct 9, 2006
  4. Evertjan. Guest

    Jeremy wrote on 09 okt 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > Julian Turner wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>> Is there something I can use with IE that can draw
    >>> lines/pixels/circles/etc. without needing plugins?

    >> [/snip]
    >>
    >> Take a look at <url:http://sourceforge.net/projects/excanvas>
    >> And one of the contributors
    >> <url:http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/chart/demo.html> and
    >> <url:http://me.eae.net/>

    > That's amazing. Probably the single most useful little gem I've seen in
    > a while! Thanks for posting that link.

    Keeping it simple:

    <http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/jsgraph.asp>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Oct 9, 2006
  5. VK Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > That's amazing. Probably the single most useful little gem I've seen in
    > a while! Thanks for posting that link.

    For Chris sees it!
    Still painting thousands of DIV's do get the desired effect as these
    are medieval times still around.

    I've realized the state of a "charming innocence" about graphics
    capabilities of modern browsers only after a few posts at
    <mozilla.dev.tech.svg>
    That is indeed charming up to being upsetting.
    Listen guys, you don't have to wait for California to say its word
    first: every time you want to move forward. I've got the permission to
    reverse-engineer our SVL (Superimposed Vector Language) library (so all
    its hacks and workarounds would get visible again) for the public
    audience.
    IE 5.5 or higher, Firefox 1.5 or higher, Camino 1.0 or higher, Opera
    8.0 or higher, Netscape 8.x or higher).
    SVL is an interface atop of SVG and VML languages *natively* supported
    by the listed browsers. The library (SVL TinyToys) is fully functional
    and as simple to use as a fart (deeply sorry).
    Yet there are thousands of French purses on my way as usual at this
    time of the season (I have to put into db etc) I HATE French purses -
    and I'm looking for a volunteer to write a help and samples - with
    his/her name written in copyrights' release.

    VK, Oct 9, 2006