DRb / Rinda Examples

Charles Comstock

Why is it that the DRb and Rinda samples are not included by default in
the ruby-1.8.1 codebase, and only in the downloadable version of drb?
At least that's where I assume they are. Specifically:

sample

README.rd
cgi_drb.rb
darray.rb
darrayc.rb
dbiff.rb
dcdbiff.rb
dchatc.rb
dchats.rb
dhasen.rb
dhasenc.rb
dlogc.rb
dlogd.rb
dqin.rb
dqlib.rb
dqout.rb
dqueue.rb
drbc.rb
drbch.rb
drbs-acl.rb
drbs.rb
extserv_test.rb
holderc.rb
holders.rb
http.rb
name.rb
namec.rb
rindac.rb
rindas.rb
speedc.rb
speeds.rb

(from http://www.eng.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/ruby/dRuby/)

I only ask because it seems like this would be useful in the samples
dir, and, I notice we do already have the drb test cases which I assume
due get updated. I'm assuming the distribution of drb in ruby is more
up to date then the one still available from the authors page. It would
seem this might be useful information on how to use drb and more
specifically Rinda, so why doesn't it come in the samples directory.

As a related question, is there a good tutorial on how to use drb with
ssl or not?

Charles Comstock

NAKAMURA, Hiroshi

Hi,
Why is it that the DRb and Rinda samples are not included by default in
the ruby-1.8.1 codebase, and only in the downloadable version of drb?

I talked with the author. Imported now.
As a related question, is there a good tutorial on how to use drb with
ssl or not?

Regards to drb with ssl, [ruby-talk:89917] explains step by step
setup process. WARN: it's NOT good, it's NOT tutorial.

The thread from [ruby-talk:89843] might help you to think
about "is ssl needed?"

Regards,
// NaHi

Charles Comstock

I talked with the author. Imported now.

Thank you very much
As a related question, is there a good tutorial on how to use drb with
ssl or not?

Regards to drb with ssl, [ruby-talk:89917] explains step by step
setup process. WARN: it's NOT good, it's NOT tutorial.

The thread from [ruby-talk:89843] might help you to think
about "is ssl needed?"

Regards,
// NaHi

I didn't quite follow the argument about why ssl wouldn't be needed.
The problem I see with this is that the protocol is effectively telling
what to execute on the other end, and while I realize the instance_eval
code has been removed, I'm pretty sure the protocol is pretty open. I'm
not setting anything up at the moment that I actually care that much,
but I know if I actually wrote any sort of application that I would
distribute, there is absolutely no way I would write it with just drb.
I just don't trust the security of the protocol. Not that it's written
poorly or anything, just that the way it works so nicely is exactly why
it appears less secure.

It's the same situation as using telnet as opposed to ssh.

Charles Comstock